The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Alarm goes off randomly!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burntheblobs

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 4, 2004
Lafayette, California
The alarm on my car will be set off lately for no reason at all. Even when I don't arm it. It will all of a sudden, for no reason, just start blaring.

The best way that you could trouble shoot it is to locate your alarm ecu box ( usually zip tied under your steering column) if it an aftermarket alarm. Then locate your shock sensor on the unit. Unplug it and see if the alarm still goes off randomly. Then if it still goes off plug that back in and try your door trigger plug ( usually 2 gray wires on one plug, one has a stripe). If that is the problem then you obviously have a faulty door trigger. If that isnt the problem keep trying different ones until you find which one is acting up. Do you have a motion sensor on your alarm? (If so it will be located some where near the center near your ecu) Let us know what you find.:talon:

What if it is the stock alarm? I'd also like to note that this happens at a random time after I've stepped away from my car. Anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 hours later. Also, the sound it makes isn't the normal sound. It doesn't cycle through different annoying sounds like if someone opened the door with it armed. It just honks the horn repeatedly and blinks lights. Maybe some sort of panic mode is being activated? I do know that my alarm button isn't what it used to be. Sometimes the terminal on it pops out of its little computer and I have to crack open the remote and push the terminal back in to make the alarm remote work again.

What i would do to see if it is the factory is pop the "Anit-Theft" fuse out and see if it still happens.

I had that problem and after a few nights of it going off around 2 am I decided to look for the problem. Under the hood right next to the drivers side head light there is a bracket with a black boot on it. Thats the hood switch for the factory alarm, over time that bracket gets bent down and the switch doesnt get depressed far enough. If you bend it back up alittle it may solve your problem, it fixed mine so its worth a try.

-Steve

steve-o_95_GST said:
I had that problem and after a few nights of it going off around 2 am I decided to look for the problem. Under the hood right next to the drivers side head light there is a bracket with a black boot on it. Thats the hood switch for the factory alarm, over time that bracket gets bent down and the switch doesnt get depressed far enough. If you bend it back up alittle it may solve your problem, it fixed mine so its worth a try.

-Steve

You probably have an aftermarket alarm in your vechicle. The factory eclipse/talon alarms in the 2gs all did not have a pin hood trigger switch. It is just something that you install when you put in a new aftermarket alarm. IE: Viper or Clifford.

if it just honks the horn that sounds like a factory alarm ....and if it honks the horns then makes annoying ass sounds like sirens and stuff then that means you have both a factory and a aftermaket ....you should look on your dash by the speedo and see if there is a light that lights up and says security......... you might also look in you center console and see if you have a valet switch ...

burntheblobs said:
What if it is the stock alarm? I'd also like to note that this happens at a random time after I've stepped away from my car. Anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 hours later. Also, the sound it makes isn't the normal sound. It doesn't cycle through different annoying sounds like if someone opened the door with it armed. It just honks the horn repeatedly and blinks lights. Maybe some sort of panic mode is being activated? I do know that my alarm button isn't what it used to be. Sometimes the terminal on it pops out of its little computer and I have to crack open the remote and push the terminal back in to make the alarm remote work again.

steve-o_95_GST said:

-Steve

I had the same problem, did the same thing except i just unplugged the little boot thingy and ziptied the cable, problem solved....

GVR4592 said:
I had the same problem on my Galant. I just replaced the switch and all is well.

I had that same problem with my integra I didnt even know i had an aftermarket alarm till it hapenned. It was quite funny.

Wow I have a little hood pin switch so I guess I have an aftermarket and stock alarm. Sweet. I have a Clifford remote which I thought was stock (I dont know why). So I guess I have an aftermarket alarm, but my stock one is the one that is randomly going off, and if I get a new hood switch it should fix it.

if its an aftermarket alarm just check the brain and/or reset it. check your grounds and connections as well. you can reset the alarm via the remotes. theres a sequence of buttons you must hit. it depends what kind of alarm you have

Dont disconnect the hood pin switch. Try and fix it, because when you have the alarm armed and the hood opens it will open the switch and make the alarm go off. If you disconnect that then when the alram is armed someone can just open your hood and the alarm wont even go off. If you MUST disconnect the hood trigger switch I would highly suggest getting a motion sensor and installing that into your clifford brain or since your clifford already has a shock sensor I would program the shock sensor so that it is very sensitive using a Bit writer. That is how I have my alarm set up. You cant even quietly open the hood without the alarm sensing the shock and not go off.:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back