The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

About to buy a talon. Some questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wraith2097

Probationary Member
Feb 13, 2007
Oakdale, Minnesota
Greetings!

I am about to buy a 92 eagle talon tsi. A car I've wanted for ages. Body looks great, zero rust. Engine rebuilt 7k ago, gas pedal is so touchy, she really flies. Previous owner put in 3 inch piping all the way through and other assorted goodies, deleted power steering and ac too. However here comes the part that concerns me. Someone swiped the aftermarket gauges (I need to invest in another boost gauge and oil gauge I believe) and took the SAFC-II. She runs perfect after we warmed it up, but on cold start it stalls out. He said its because of the SAFC and it just needs to be tuned again. I looked around and found posts from people having it stolen and similar problems, though most say the car won't run for them. This kinda reminds me of IAC problems I've had in the past with my 3000gt. Could it really be from removing the safc? If so, then what will it take for me to get it not to stall/ run rough when cold? I'm just starting to learn about working on my own vehicle so please have patience, my knowledge is limited but I learn quick. I'm hoping this doesn't require another SAFC because they don't look cheap and I wouldn't know how to tune it correctly anyways. Help please?

If it has larger than stock injectors if will be rich across the board. Was the MAF wire re-attached to itself?

That I don't know. I will ask him about both. I'm going to take another look at it monday and will check if he doesn't know. If thats the problem why would it calm once the car was driven around a bit? I also saw another post in which it mentioned just reconnecting a wire to fix it in the meantime. Is it as easy as that?

It depends on if it has the mods needed for an SAFC, injectors, 2g maf. etc, then that might be the reason since the SAFC is no longer there. Just get a list of the mods done to the car first.

yep, a list will definately help, but if you're running after market stuff, you're going to want a fuel tunning device anyway. I vote that you purchase a new SAFC and get it tuned up properly again.

Contacted the seller. Mods are as follows.

Front and rear strut tower bars
FMIC kit (new in box) He wants an extra 400, I've seen cheaper via ebay so I dunno..
Relocated battery to trunk
The now stolen SAFC 2
Deleted ac
Deleted Power steering.
3 inch full piping, front to back.
HNR Springs
And of course the rebuild, but the rest is stock. He mentioned the MAF already being connected and that he fiddled with it a little already. Has a new one that comes with the car incase its that. So where does that leave me? Thanks for the responses. Gotta be something not connected right or at all. Why would it run like mint after being warmed?

Okay let me revise my question a little now that I understand more about how the safc 2 is installed and what it does (Thanks to searching). Now as I understand it the car will run like crap because it has no signal coming from the MAF correct? The seller of this car doesn't believe there are any other aftermarket mods other than what I listed. He could be wrong as most of what it has now was from the owner before him. He said the MAF is connected and he's fiddled with it with no luck. He could be off base, I don't know.
My question is this. If the car is supposed to run crappy without the signal from the MAF, then why does it seem to run fine after being driven around the block a few times? The test drive was not long, but there was a difference. How long it can stay like that I'm not sure. I'm just nervous about getting it and it needing bigger repairs than fixing a wire.

Sorry to bump my thread. Just didn't see a point in posting basically the same thing. Many thanks ahead of time. Oh and before I forget, he mentioned having a second new maf in the trunk if it was needed. Your thoughts?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back