The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

97 GS-T fifth gear grinding (help)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRoX85

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 7, 2010
Ft. Myers, Florida
Just as my title states I have a FWD 97 GS-T, all the gears shift great except fifth it slightly grinds.. It is also hard to get into reverse sometimes.. The car has a short shifter on it, I have know idea what kind as it's not labeled.. I do know as well while I am driving and in any gear the shifter has tons of left to right play... Any input on this would be greatley appreciated

yeah i didnt think 5th gear had a syncrho.. is it just grinding or also slipping?? are you pressing the clutch all the way down when shifting. pump it till it gets stiff then try it. one other thing i would say is try to find a stock shifter and try that. if it works just grind it to make it shorter.

it's not slipping at all, just a slight grind as soon as I am shifting into gear... once in gear it hold perfect clutch is fully engaged.. But all gears have a lot of side to side play

A source of side to side shifter play is the select lever shoe (MD712919) which rides in the ring of the control shaft (the shift levers on the outside of the tranny where the shifter cables attach to: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/shift-lever-shoe.516773/post-153683684). It wears down causing excessive shifter play. To give you something to compare your old one to, a new one is 0.468" thick (the ring slot is 0.475").

And 5th gear GST does have syncro. Here's a pic of mine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
I have a perfectly good 2g fwd 5 speed tranny for sale if your interested pm me, I would like to know to on this I have a little back and forth in my shifter.

Sounds like a cracked or broken syncro. Pull the end cover off and get a visual on it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back