The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

95eclipser's 1999 GSX - Street/Track Build - 2009-Present

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Im going to be reposting a lot of photos here. As I see a lot of my links are dead.

Attachments

• IMG_0005.PNG
    IMG_0005.PNG
    148.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    595.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Final Upload of what I have left.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    691.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1501.JPG
    IMG_1501.JPG
    389 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1503.JPG
    IMG_1503.JPG
    519.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1528.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG
    625.1 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_2906.JPG
    IMG_2906.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2907.JPG
    IMG_2907.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0005.PNG
    IMG_0005.PNG
    148.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0260.JPG
    IMG_0260.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0542.JPG
    IMG_0542.JPG
    388.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    347.8 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    359.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0769.JPG
    IMG_0769.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    591 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1317.JPG
    IMG_1317.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1321.JPG
    IMG_1321.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 203
New Build Thread 2016-2017

So... This past Friday I took a drive down to Richmond, VA and officially became part of the DSM community again. I bought a 99 GSX with Black interior and 87K miles on the chassis. Looking over the car and negotiating with the old owner was a long process. It actually got a little heated at one point, but I believe we came to a fair number that we both could agree one. Especially after seeing what other GSX of the same condition have been selling for this year. I believe he knew the car was going to a good home. He has seen my old build. What's funny is when I decided I wanted another DSM, I was looking for a 99 in black or white. But when I saw this one listed on CL. I had to go look at it. And I'm glad I did. It has everything I wanted in a GSX minus the color. I just think silver cars blend in with all the other Hondas and Toyotas on the road. I paint it sometime in the future. The trip home my nerves were completely shot. My mind had thought of every possible thing that could have go wrong. But about 50 miles in I settled down, and really started to enjoy the car for what it was. I was actually really surprised by how well the Tein coiloves handled the road. And felt like home being in the car. What I love about these cars, is that you never really see them on the road anymore. It's an awesome feeling having people drive by you and looking hard at the car. Almost like they didn't know Mitsubishi built something like this. Anyways that's the story behind the car. Glad to be apart of the community again. :dsm:

2016 Goals.
Maintenance (Gaskets, fluids, Strut tower rust)
Retune
Wheels and Tires

2017 Goals
Exterior Paint
Carbon accessories
Forward Facing turbo kit. (TBD)

Car Specs:
1999 Eclipse GSX
Exterior Silver (A52 Minden silver Mica)
Interior Black
5 Speed
Chassis Mileage 87k
Motor Mileage I was told 22k

-Built 7 Bolt Block (Arias Pistons, Manley I-Beam Rods, ARP Hardware, Stock Crank, ACL bearings, etc)
-7 Bolt Head (Kelford 272 Cams, AEM Cam Gears, 3G Lifters, Supertech Valvetrain etc)
-Bolt on’s (Magnus Street Manifold, 1G Throttle Body, FP 4” Intake, ExtremeMotorsports FMIC kit, DNP exhaust manifold, AMS GT850R Kit PTE6262 BB T3 .82A/R, Apexi exhaust etc)
-Tuning (ECM Tuning
-Fuel (Jay Racing 343 Kit, STM rewire, FIC 1450’s)
-Suspension (Tein coilovers with EDFC controller)
-Transmission (Semi built, with Quaif LSD)

-Interior (No radio, Greddy and AEM gauges, HKS turbo timer)

Last edited:
Brought her home Friday night. I did a light wash and interior clean on Saturday, before starting to tackle maintenance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    484.4 KB · Views: 249
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
In this post. I decided to attack the Leaking Valve cover gasket. And start figuring out how bad the passenger side strut tower rust is. Obviously there was an attempt to fix the rust. Which looks like a hack job to me. Not sure why bondo would be used. Its very deep in certain places and honestly will probably need to be cut and welded... To be continued.

On another note. I will be buying fresh spark plugs and belts this week. Need to get the car ready for the retune.

Thanks,

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    369.5 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
I could only spend a little time cleaning up the hole. Just turned out to be a hole filled with bondo. The more bondo I cleaned out the worse it got. Pics below....

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 234
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 245
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
I was able to clean up the strut tower a little more. Also got inside the wheel well to take a look. Found another pocket of rust starting higher up on the strut tower. I am going to try and cut the rusted part of the strut tower out tonight. Need to pic up weld plates 16-18g not sure yet. Then off to my friends to weld it up.

Pics:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 177
Started to cut out what I thought was the rusted area. Found a lot more on the bottom layer "Sigh". Started to pull the inner fender liner, and passenger fender off. Need to see how much further it really goes. Honestly might be in over my head. Never have attempted body work before and don't even own a welder. I might just get a second opinion on it.

On another note.
The car is now titled and registered.
Got my spark plugs for the upcoming tune and fresh accessory belts for maintenance.

More to come...

Pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    295.1 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
I'm not a DSM expert but I have honestly seen way worse strut towers. I think you will be good long as the person repairing is thorough and you guys dont rush it .

I'm not a DSM expert but I have honestly seen way worse strut towers. I think you will be good long as the person repairing is thorough and you guys dont rush it .

Thanks! ya I have seen much worse also. I just need a nice strong patch that will last for two years or before i shave and tuck the bay. I'm getting the second opinion on Monday night.

Same man^ I have no idea how to do body work. I feel more comfortable turning a wrench.

Relocated the coolant expansion tank today. Used the stock brackets to mount it. The gold bracket is only temporary.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 188
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 180
I was looking over the fmic pipes and realized some of the couplers, and clamps looked a little old and worn out. I had some spare stuff so I decide to swap them out.

This is when I got a little surprise. I pulled a coupler and found a ton of silicone on it. All of the rest of the couplers had the same thing. People need to stop working on cars, if there going to be doing stuff like this. I had to cut one of the couplers to get it off the lower pipe.

Pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 183
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 166
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Might be easier just to replace the strut tower with a non rusted one. More cutting and welding but you'll sleep better at the end of the day.

Oh man. I guess somebody is using single and double play with cheap Chinese clamps that don't hold sh**.

When I bought mine they had worm clampps on the j pipe so I couldn't see it. Yeah that blew open real quick

Exactly. I match one of the couplers used with some vibrant ones I had left over from my EVO. Vibrant was much thicker. So I ended up cleaning up all the pipe ends and removed the silicone. Then I swapped the old couplers for Vibrant ones and fresh T-Bolts. In total I replaced the two end tank couplers and lower coupler running to the turbo. I reused the upper coupler going the TB. It is an OEM EVO 15 degree bend coupler. I matched it up to a vibrant and it was almost as thick as the vibrant one. Since I didn't have a replacement on hand and the vibrant 15 degree 2.5" couplers, are about $40.00. I decided to hold off for now. I might swap it out before my re-tune.

Might be easier just to replace the strut tower with a non rusted one. More cutting and welding but you'll sleep better at the end of the day.

Thank you for the input. I think I found the guy who is going to be doing the work for me. I'm getting a quote tonight.
Like you said, I might just have to replace the whole tower. Well see.

Stay tuned..

Dropped the car off at the body shop last Saturday for repair. They talked me into buying a complete strut tower from a donor car. I contacted Miller Imports and purchased a full replacement strut.

Hopefully ill have the car back sometime next week. After that I will probably park the car for a while. I need a new daily so I have to start looking around.

More updates coming in the following weeks.

Strut tower repair progress by the guys at Artisan Autobody.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 234
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 240
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    272.4 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 236
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back