The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Ricky's 1998 GSX Street/Track Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shsking11

15+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2008
Tacoma, Washington
What's up guys?
I'm pretty quiet on the forums, as I have been for years, even lurking regularly before I joined awhile back.

I'm Ricky, I'm from Washington, Seattle-Tacoma area. I am the owner of:

1998 GSX - Built 2.0, FP Green Powered.
2003 Evo - Built 4g64 2.4LR DBB FP Black Powered - 461hp at 430tq (Pump)
2011 Evo GSR - Stock DD

I've owned my GSX for 4 years, going on 5, and I've been through hell and back with it. I'm currently on my 3rd trans and 3rd motor, 2nd built motor. After purchasing my Evo 8, the car sat for a couple years (in a running state). Mainly because I was doing the 2.4 build and being in school.

Currently the car has head that wants to lift under boost. I've done 2 head gaskets and re torqued two sets of ARPS. Then came to find out the head has been decked one too many times.

Anyway, this build is going to take me some time due to being financially tied to school, I'm a college athlete so basketball takes a huge source of time, and I am out of state so getting home to work on the car will happen periodically.

I have decided I want to produce 400-500hp on PUMP gas. The hx40 should have room for growth, but for now with the mods I have will sustain a 400hp car reliably (hopefully LOL).

I'll give you guys the story on what has come about with my DSM. I purchased the car in Feb. of 2010 from a good buddy. I had always wanted this car because it was the cleanest GSX i'd ever seen. I don't think he knew much about automotive upkeep as you will learn below.
111.jpg

I purchased the car and drove it tiil March 20, when it spun bearing on my way home from Seattle one night. The day before this I lost 4th gear completely. I always knew it was an "iffy" gear, but I tried to shift into it and it kicked me out immediately.
7a2fca18.jpg

At the time, I had done one 6 bolt swap and was not all that familiar with the platform. I had a good friend that owned a shop and I took the car to him. Over the next year we sourced together a good parts list and installed a built motor. To this day were not sure why that motor blew, but I lost a bearing within 10 miles. At this point I could not afford to continue building the car, so it got covered and sat for a year. In the mean time I purchased a black 95 TSI AWD and then a grey 95 TSI AWD. I played with them a bit in their primarily stock form.

db0d9de4.jpg

c0175bd5.jpg

6d231305.jpg

After purchasing and selling my grey 95 AWD I sold it and got a small loan on a 2002 wrx.

9e60565f.jpg

d580eef0.jpg

At this point I began to play around with my GSX once again about 2 years later.
I put together a turbo setup that seemed to work well. To replace the motor I had a friend that sold me a built 6 bolt that was intended for a vr4.
I assembled the long block and then dropped it into the car. I had the car base tuned and the turbo decided to go on me (which is what I get for buying used). I then pulled the head, purchased an FP green and purchased a used head with upgraded components. I got the car together, once again and the head began to lift. I threw on a OEM hg and a spare set up arps. I went to drive the car and as soon as I gave it gas it began to overheat. Went to retorque the ARPs and it continued to overheat. At this point, I said f*ck it. In this process I sold my WRX and I purchased my 2003 Evo VIII.

ff426bdf.jpg

I drove the car on multiple setups with a stock block for about a year and lost the stock motor at 107k in august of 2011.
While this was going on I needed a DD so I purchased a 97 Talon NA. And to be honest, this car was one of my favorites. EVERYTHING worked properly in it and it was clean although the car had 230k miles on it. Which I later sold, and regret doing so.

file-13.jpg

I decided I wanted to try something new and built a 4g64 LR. The build was completed by feb 2012 and I produced great power with the DBB Fp black.

file-14.jpg

After modding my VIII for another year, I began to dislike dailying a car that was so loud, stiff, uncomfortable, and i a drive 500 mile trip 2-3 times a month, I purchased my evo X. And am currently in the process of selling my VIII.

1378165_10151663490736332_788132952_n.jpg

And that was in October of 2013, so here we are now. Months later, still researching. I have narrowed down my overheating issues to the head/gasket. I have purchased a spare head and will be going to work on the car as soon as time permits. Below is where I hope to get the car.

UPDATED
Car:
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
6 bolt swap

Turbo/Exhaust
-HX40 7 blade w/ BEP .55 housing
-Punishment racing ext. o2 housing.
-Tial MVS WG
-FP Cast Manifold
-Megan DP
-SRS CB exhaust

Motor
-Stock crank
-CP Pistons
-Eagle Rods
-ARP Mains
-ACL Bearings
-Felpro Permatorque
-ARP Head studs
-GSC Springs/Retainers
-GSC s2 cams
-3g Lifters

Intake
-3' Pina Motorsports Intake
-SBR Intercooler Core
-3' Aluminum Intercooler Pipes
-Q45 Throttle Body
-JMF SMIM

Fuel
-Wally 255
-Fuel Lab AFPR
-FIC 950cc

Engine Man.
-DSMLink V3 (Full)
-AEM Wideband
-AEM Boost
-SD Conv.

Note: I will replace all necessary OEM components to support the build.
I'll add my build list once I have most of it completed.

a23ca46a.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

4dc8fa78.jpg

543af2d1.jpg

f1b7fc9a.jpg

86470ff5.jpg

I look forward to adding to this, and hearing from you guys.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Well, i'm reviving this thread. After moving to Oregon I caught up with a few locals and decided it was time to start gathering parts for the car.

A buddy of mine Kyle, UrbanSmoker, has helped educate me on the holset style turbos.
I've decided to swap turbos.

As of now I intend on doing the following:

-HX40 7 blade paired with the .55 BEP housing.
-Punishment Racing o2 housing (Ext gat)
-Tial MVS wastegate
-Felpro Permatorque HG
-Fab up a new overflow tank
-new battery relocation kit
-wire tuck

I picked up an additional head and plan to rebuild it. But I have a few questions.
Has anybody tried running a smaller cam with a hx40, even more so than a 272/272 to move the powerband to left a bit? Most of the numbers and combinations I see tend to have 272s and I did check out our holset thread but does anybody have any input on that?

May 5th, 2014

I was on my way home from Salem, I had just taken a final and was running on absolutely no sleep. I had pulled an all nighter and could not wait to get home. I was eager to get home because I was going to be pulling my FP Green off the car and trading it for an HX40 that night. I just had to get home so I could move the car into the garage to work on it. I began to get extremely tired and could feel myself starting to fall asleep driving home. This was in my evo X fortunately, so I was able to pull over and pass out. It turns out that this was the better decision for me, but I'm still kicking myself because of what's to happen. I had pulled over in a gas station in Kalama, WA. About 2 hours from my home in Tacoma, WA. The drive from Salem, OR is about 4 hours with Portland traffic. I pulled over around 10:15 and fell asleep almost immediately. I set my alarm for 12:15. I awoke and started driving.

I drove up to my house a 2:25 to this:
IMG_5590_zpsb8f37752.jpg

IMG_5591_zps4d33fc6f.jpg

IMG_5592_zps7dacfea8.jpg

It appeared only to be on the exterior,then I noticed this and really got nervous.

IMG_5600_zps5f34d6fc.jpg

But after talking to Jaxness. She explained a bit about what she did to keep the cars overall estimate under control.

My neighbor had watched the whole thing. And assumed because the guy had left a note that the whole situation was going to be okay. It turns out the guy left a note merely saying "sorry". and now the car is getting prepped to be painted.

The damage is about 2500-2700$ worth of work. Note, this did not total the car which was pleasing. So it does still have a clean title Which after owning it so many years was VERY important to me. With all this said, I do still kick myself. If I had slept a bit less the car would have never been there :ohdamn::ohdamn::ohdamn:

It is what it is, and the car will be fixed.

Now, with that said and done i've made a lot of progress getting the car ready for it's next set of mods.

May 6th
After I had got the car situated with the insurance I decided that either way, I needed to get started with removing parts. Especially because the car was not able to drive due to the head gasket anyway. Not only that, but the body shop will be painting the passenger side of the engine bay anyway.

Removed:
I/C Piping
Intake
Turbo and manifold
Intake Manifold
Speed density setup
AFPR

I went ahead and disconnected the wiring. I decided this time around I was going to change the way the harness was going to be routed in the engine bay. I labeled the plugs accordingly and began to move things around. I also didn't like the placement of my Fuel Lab FPR. Maninly because it was in an awkward spot. I also need to shorten and reroute the fuel and air lines to be less cluttered.

In the process I found out my contitech (sp) t-belt is fraying. The belt only has about 1,000 miles on it. Which is a little frightening. :hmm: Decided that even though the parts on the timing side only had about 1,000 miles that it was time to replace them for peace of mind.

May 7th
I didn't do much due to the weather. I cleaned up my JMF manifold and coil pack relocation bracket with the Eagle product. It worked wonders!

After calling the body shop and the insurance all day. I got ahold of my buddy with the HX40 and we decided to meet up near Seattle. We chatted for an hour, reminiscing about the older DSM up days up north. Back when I was 14-15 I used to tag along to the events and cruises. Then there were a ton more DSM's and fewer Evo's. Now it seems to be the reverse up here in WA. Very few of us DSMs compared to the Evo community. With that said even the Evo community is fairly small.

I'll stop jibber jabbering and show you guys what Bryan hooked me up with:

Holset "super" 6 blade HX40 with the BEP .55 housing.

IMG_5605_zpsc70d29ef.jpg

IMG_5610_zps747501f5.jpg

The turbo is in nearly perfect condition as it was just rebuilt. I plan to have the o2 housing ceramic coated with my FP Manifold.

This is what I still need to get the car running:

Timing Belt
Timing Tensioner
PS Belt
Alt Belt
Water Pump
Water Pump Gasket
Head Gasket
Intake Manifold Gasket
Exhaust Manifold Gasket
Manifold to turbo Gasket (and port match it)
Turbo to o2 housing gasket
DP Gasket
Fluids

Anyways. I have a few more things i've been collecting that'll be tagging along with the GSX when it heads to the body shop! :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
IMG_5608_zpsad0ace0b.jpg
Guess those side skirts?

Ohhh and what's this?
IMG_5606_zps2c4c600c.jpg

Kyle - I probably will, and honestly want to. But as of now I need this car to run for summer :rocks:. Just need to find some money....... :rolleyes:

Matt - Will do, I was just up north chillin with Bryan. Might be headed back up to pick up some stuff from Jake. What's going on with your car?

Kyle - I probably will, and honestly want to. But as of now I need this car to run for summer :rocks:. Just need to find some money....... :rolleyes:

Matt - Will do, I was just up north chillin with Bryan. Might be headed back up to pick up some stuff from Jake. What's going on with your car?

No i know how it is, i did the same thing and the bep.55 spooled way quick but you'll realize things get hot and you want more flow per psi LOL it comes with lag but worth it. Enjoy the bolt on while it lasts :)

Then when it doesn't last and you go T3, you can hit me up and I'll start the bolt on baby HX40 cycle all over again LOL. Sucks about the hit-and-run what a bunch of bullshit that people can't own up to their mistakes and are morally OK with making someone else pay for it. Especially with witnesses and shit, horrible thing to happen to such a clean ass car sry man but awesome its not totalled and insurance is taking care of you. I've seen those Cupra lips online again recently after being discontinued for a while, if you're trying to just get her back to where she was at least its possible.

Hope your HG search is turning out well too, sucks ass that its been lifting so often obviously an uneven surface, so thats gonna fix her right up after machine work. Excited for us to have a bit of a NW revival I've made a lot of new DSM buddies in the last year to add to the OGs of the area could make for some fun cruises this summer!

***Edit*** Guess that Cupra won't fit a 2gb talon bumper which is what it looks like you're moving on to anyways LOL. Excited to see what you have in store!

Then when it doesn't last and you go T3, you can hit me up and I'll start the bolt on baby HX40 cycle all over again LOL. Sucks about the hit-and-run what a bunch of bullshit that people can't own up to their mistakes and are morally OK with making someone else pay for it. Especially with witnesses and shit, horrible thing to happen to such a clean ass car sry man but awesome its not totalled and insurance is taking care of you. I've seen those Cupra lips online again recently after being discontinued for a while, if you're trying to just get her back to where she was at least its possible.

Hope your HG search is turning out well too, sucks ass that its been lifting so often obviously an uneven surface, so thats gonna fix her right up after machine work. Excited for us to have a bit of a NW revival I've made a lot of new DSM buddies in the last year to add to the OGs of the area could make for some fun cruises this summer!

***Edit*** Guess that Cupra won't fit a 2gb talon bumper which is what it looks like you're moving on to anyways LOL. Excited to see what you have in store!

Thanks Tyler and Kyle,

Yeah the bolt on t3 has worked really well for my circumstances. Both financially and for the car. I don't know a ton about this block, some but not enough for me to feel safe really pushing it.

I agree, I have only been in one accident where it was my fault. But I couldn't ever justify just taking off. It would never sit right with me if I did so.

The NW is gaining some population again. Not sure why, but more and more are popping up again. This excites me. I got into the scene around 05-06. I had a buddy who had an evo 8. So naturally, I went on cruises and to meet. And at the time the dsm community was fairly large back then. It'd be amazing to revive the community. I will say, there are some very nice builds coming together. But as you know Tyler, we're always in the building process and my car never likes to run well. Kyle seems to keep his car running reasonably well LOL

Well see, i've always wanted a 2gb talon conversion on my car. The last time I found a 2gb talon shell, I bought the bumpers for a buddy as a gift and we converted his GSX to a Talon. I intend on keeping my 2gb eclipse parts and going back and forth.

As for updates, the weather has been pretty dang terrible. So I took up the art of aluminum polishing. Went through just about all my parts. However, some of them may need some sand paper treatment as the abrasions in the metal are somewhat deep.

The car goes into the body shop tomorrow. Hoping for the best.

May 12th

Well, i had to source my own parts and doing so pushed back the date of getting the repairs done to the GSX.

It will be dropped off the 19th for body work. Then afterwards, I'll be removing the motor to install new timing side components and to clean the bay up a bit.

I have been toying with the idea of installing new ball joints and bushing. Just to keep the suspension tight.

Should have some photos for you guys tonight :rocks::hellyeah:

May 10th

Well, I didn't post much because I was being lazy. But on Saturday a friend came home from living in Montana for the year. So we welcomed her home at alki! Mainly Evo owners, it was nice to get out and see some rides for a change. I'm so used to sitting at home and working or doing hw. Was nice to see some familiar faces after I myself moved home. Went with a buddy that just recently bought his Lightening Yellow Evo 8.

IMG_5644_zpsefcb55fb.jpg

IMG_5620_zps536c60c8.jpg

May 14th
The car got pushed back for body work til the 20th.

Well, I decided to pull the motor out before the car left for the body shop so I could put the new head gasket, oil pump, water pump, timing tensioner, and belts on. And boy was in for quite the surprise.

Lets get some history on this motor real quick, I covered a bit but we'll go deeper into it.

A long time ago I had motor built with wiseco pistons, eagle rods, and a stock 6 bolt crank. The car ran for about 40 miles then spun multiple bearings. I didn't have a ton of money at this point and my buddy had a motor laying around from years ago (only had about(10k miles). So, I picked it up cheap. I took it to a machine shop, they looked through the motor. Aside from normal wear, the motor was fine.

After removing the motor, I decided to reseal the pan.I pulled the pan and immediately found metal shavings laying at the bottom of the pain. Then, on the pick up:
IMG_5676_zpse0034a00.jpg

The shavings are from the main bearings only. My assumption is that there was some oil starvation. The rod bearings still look nice and fresh.

Here are some photos of the days work (don't have a place to work yet as i'm still moving home. Hopefully will have a house/garage soon) :

Head gasket looks about done.
IMG_5669_zps4dfb1584.jpg

IMG_5667_zpsab9c0b25.jpg

Getting the motor ready to come out.

IMG_5661_zpsa1eafe5d.jpg

Motor is out!
IMG_5663_zps90a934e4.jpg

Boom, ready to go.
IMG_5666_zps00b27966.jpg

Well, that's what I did yesterday.

So, I also have been polishing random parts and a friend wanted to hold on to my ARC heat shield off my evo 8. So I decided i'd throw my stock on there. But first I hit it with the dremel. I'm finding that using the dremel for polishing purposes (especially with a larger surface/part) is difficult. For many reasons but specifically it is time consuming and is easy to become uneven and streaky. Still very new to polishing, but it's a fun hobby. But here's some of the polishing i've been doing.

Before:
IMG_5658_zps3678cff9.jpg

After:
IMG_5660_zps4eec136e.jpg

Well, i'll try to snag some photos of the bottom end later today. Going to take it to a machine shop and see what they think I should do as far as the scarring.

Well, its a good thing you are meticulous with your rides bud would have been soooo shitty to have gone through all this HG bulls$%t only to finally surface the head and get it to seal but go through a bottom end in a week due to spun bearings. Nice catch, and glad to hear that the pistons and rods look good so you can get them into another block ASAP! There is a guy up north in Kirkland that has been trying to sell a block for quite a while I bet he'd let it go cheap at this point, he also has two cranks one of which is already polished. You are more than welcome to look at the one I mentioned in my spare block but I have no clue as to its condition would assume at the minimum that it needs to be polished if not ground. Keep up the good work and she'll live again stronger than before with that HX40 you have planned!!!

May 15th

Well, I got the motor to a friends house who had good lighting and indoors. Every last main bearing was toast and especially the thrust bearings. It's apparent that there was movement in the crank. The rods appear to be okay as well as the pistons. I stumbled across this before anything became a complete catastrophe. However, I do need a new crank and block. The clutch side of the thrust bearing was being crammed into the crank and chewed approximately 1/8 of an inch out of the crank. I haven't spent enough time diagnosing what cause movement in the crank but something either wasn't assembled correctly of there was a improper installment of a clutch before I ever owned the motor.

Here is a quick shot of the block bare:

IMG_5683_zpse95397c5.jpg

Crank:

IMG_5684_zps88f9447f.jpg

Heres where the thrust bearings sit:
IMG_5682_zps12e15162.jpg

Now you can see where the crank was pushed against the thrust. It's apparent this had been happening for a long time. I'm not sure how I never saw metal in my oil. My car never made any bottom end noise, never saw any shavings, and ran relatively normal considering the circumstances it was in.
photo_zps0884cac7.jpg
While looking through my block I came across this. I'm not sure if this is normal, as I have never seen it in the multiple 6 or 7 bolts i've ever seen.

IMG_5681_zps0800704d.jpg
IMG_5680_zps114cea92.jpg
IMG_5679_zps536f9ae7.jpg
Can anybody tell me if this is normal? Not sure really what is going on here. Don't know if this is a thin part in the cast or maybe it's normal and i've never noticed. To me it doesn't look normal... I guess if the front case is covering it and is sealed it may not have a huge effect yet I don't feel comfortable with it.

May 16th

Yesterday there were a few locals that sold me a few parts:
Picked up:
VC to oil pan gasket kit
OEM Timing Belt
OEM Timing Tensioner
OEM Timing Pulleys
OEM Water Pump
OEM Alternator Belt
OEM PS Belt

Next up is to order:
-Felpro Permatorque HG
-OEM/Orbit Oil pump
-Fitting for the Oil Pan to fit my oil return
-Fluids

Does anybody know how well the Orbit oil pump works? It's my understanding that it is part of the ACL company. Anybody ran this oil pump? I've heard great things, not sure i want to move off an OEM pump.

how was the meet? Did you find a block yet? the only thing wrong with my car was the damn fpr was for a manual so i have been running lean for a little bit but just stole an auto one off one of my other auto's. I have a good block but it's way over priced and comes attached to an entire running 1g.

May 20th

Alright guys got a lot of news.
I picked up a blown block from a local guy.
The car had skipped timing and put a valve right into the top of the piston. So It was a perfect advocate for my needs (being a block and a crank). I began to disassemble the bottom end, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The balance shaft bearings had come COMPLETELY loose and were freely sitting in the oil pan all mangled. Even the more surprising news; rotating assembly was nearly unscathed from this. My assumption is when the car skipped timing something happened with the balance shafts and the motor died before there was any serious damage. After removing the balance shafts and oil pump I noticed that this block also had that same strange hole, this time very different, but a strange casting flaw in the same spot nonetheless.

Anyway, the crank had some high and low areas in it. The thrust has a bit of material gone, but is salvageable. I was first worried about that strange casting hole, but since the oil pump seals that area i'm going to run my old block. I want to run my old block because of the oil squirters. The reasoning behind this is to try and keep my oil pressure down. Also, because i'll be running the car for longer time frames this decision makes the most sense (if anybody else has input please chime in). When I built my 4g64 for my Evo 8 the motor is NA from the factory, so deleting the balance shafts and NOT having oil squirters caused me to have to find a better way to ventilate the crankcase pressure and oil pressure, aside from blow my dipstick out of the block ROFL.

So, as of now the car is at the body shop. Not sure how much longer they'll have it but I'm assuming 2-3 weeks.
As for the motor the machine shop is checking my ring gap (i didnt build this last motor, so not sure how hard I can push these pistons), if they're too tight for my likings i'll buy new rings. They're also checking my rods for any type of egg shaping. They have the crank, and need to cut down the area where the thrust bearing had rubbed the crank as well as cut the rest of the crank. I just ordered a set of ACL H series bearings for the block as well. Hopefully when I get home from New Mexico (June 1). The block will be closer to being finished. So far i'm very please with this machine shop. They've been very upfront and call when there is any type of issue or need to order something.

Aside from these updates, which are coming slowly, the car is coming along. Today is going to be exciting, a friend of mine is coming up from Salem to get his Talon dyno-tuned. Hopefully i'll have some photos and videos for you guys :hellyeah:.

Rock on tuners , will have updates soon :dsm:

what machine shop did you use? not sure if i can trust the one i took my block to since they gave me a honda crank back with it, so i think i want someone to go over everything before it gets assembled.

Glad to see you're back in the DSM and making improvements, Ricky. You can kick yourself all you want for not finishing that drive but what's worse a dented fender or losing your Evo and possibly your life falling asleep behind the wheel? You made the right decision...

Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Referencing your picture, here's a shot of my built 7-bolt.

DSC_0588.jpg

:dsm:

Glad to see you're back in the DSM and making improvements, Ricky. You can kick yourself all you want for not finishing that drive but what's worse a dented fender or losing your Evo and possibly your life falling asleep behind the wheel? You made the right decision...

Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

Referencing your picture, here's a shot of my built 7-bolt.

View attachment 224862

:dsm:

Corey, thanks. It's been a rough week for me with this car. I've needed time away from it to really appreciate it. Went on to new platforms and missed the GSX and just wrenching a bit. Also, your 7-bolt appear different for sure. I'm not sure really what this is in the 6-bolt. But every block I have been able to get my hands on has some sort of casting flaw in the identical place.

May 20th
Well, if the news about my crank wasn't enough for me to take, the CP pistons have undergone some sort of warping. My assumption is because of the play in the crank the pistons had some sort of egg shaping-like movement in block. With this said, the block I had intended on using will likely need some loving. And being that it has already been honed, I may be out of luck and forced to run the oil squirter-less block.

I'll be out of town for the next couple of weeks so updates will be body-shop pictures and anything the machine shop tells me.

On a different note.
My buddy located in Salem, OR. Came up north to get his car tuned. It's a built 2.0 with a full manley rotating assembly. He is running a GTX3076r on his Talon and we were expecting some good power. However, half way through the tune (after setting idle and cruising tunes) the injector intermittently began to lose it's ability to produce flow. We initially thought it was breaking up in spark and swapped a coil pack and plugs but soon figured out it was a fuel issue. He removed the RC 1200cc injectors and swapped in my FIC950cc. After we set the injectors and dead time, the car fired up right away and was no longer missing. Due to me being out of town this week I won't be able to get a video of the car on the dyno at full strength. I will say that turbo and wastegate setup sure sounds nasty on the dyno!

Cheers tuners, hopefully i'll have more updates soon.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back