The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Aaron's 1997 GSX - Street/AutoX/Track Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPDATE: 11/9/2015

I’ve decided to push the 20g to the max for AX duty. Going to be going with an 11-Blade billet wheel on a 9-Blade TD05 exhaust turbine. Should give me some better spool characteristics for the track.

Pictures and videos to come!

I got myself the 9 blade turbine aswell, curious as to why if you autocross? Wouldnt you want the faster spool the 12 blade gives? Build seems like its moving along nicely

I got myself the 9 blade turbine aswell, curious as to why if you autocross? Wouldnt you want the faster spool the 12 blade gives? Build seems like its moving along nicely

I’m going to be doing some direct comparisons between the 2 shafts. I have a lot of log/tune time on my computer. If I find that it’s not performing how I’d like, ill switch back to the 12 blade.

Also working on a few minor build tweaks for next season. More info on that to come soon.

Awesome. Well hope it works out to plen for you dude. Keep up the hard work and look forward to the updates

UPDATE: 11/17/2015
IG:
aa_wolo_gsx

The billet rebuilt 20g is in! And god does she look beautiful!
- 11-Blade Billet Wheel
- 9-Blade TD05h Exhaust Turbine
- 3” Anti-Surge Compressor Housing

IMG_20151116_125322_zpssz5rbeaw.jpg[/URL
]

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1447521365418_zpstdswejdp.jpg.html]1447521365418_zpstdswejdp.jpg[/URL
]

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/_20151116_180433_zpsdvcety8h.jpg.html]_20151116_180433_zpsdvcety8h.jpg[/URL
]

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151116_180454293_zpshkt4ppie.jpg.html]IMG_20151116_180454293_zpshkt4ppie.jpg

I need to address a few small issues and then I’ll be taking her out for some runs and some tuning time.

I have all of my data logs from the previous cast wheels, so I hope to do a direct comparison between spool characteristics, boost build up, etc.

Stay tuned![/URL][/URL][/URL]

Looking good bud! Keep up the hard work, it's paying off!

UPDATE: 11/23/2015

It is with a heavy heart that I bring this news to those of you following my build. Against my better judgement, I took Wendy out last night. I had not driven her in some time and just wanted to feel the power.

In a nut shell, the bottom end has let go. I have no one to blame but myself. Hindsight is 20/20…I should have left her in the garage, I should have turned the boost down in the 20 degree weather, etc. I was logging my trip, turns out, before she went boom, AFR was at 13.7, 28psi through the new billet turbo, and timing was at 20 degrees. This was 70% throttle. Seconds later, explosion, shrapnel, smoke, smell, death…

I will get some more pictures today. But for now, I’m trying to think over my options and I’m hoping the damage was only done to the bottom end.

Here’s to a long winter….

IMG_20151122_210750937_zpsu7svhzmi.jpg[/URL
]

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151122_211938757_zpsjo1xpsp2.jpg.html]IMG_20151122_211938757_zpsjo1xpsp2.jpg
[/URL]

"the life of a race car" i hope you keep us updated, and well i hope she comes back stronger.

On a side note, i have been a fan of Wendy for so long i believe her appearance has influenced mine... i just never said it before.
20150513_191122.jpg

All that means is it's time for forged internals and some real power!

"the life of a race car" i hope you keep us updated, and well i hope she comes back stronger.

On a side note, i have been a fan of Wendy for so long i believe her appearance has influenced mine... i just never said it before.

Looks great!!

All that means is it's time for forged internals and some real power!

Sadly, that just not in the plans for me.

UPDATE: 11/25/2015

Well, its been a roller coaster of emotions over the last few days. Had some very long discussion with my wife about what exactly I/we should do about the situation.

Here’s where my issues lie. I obviously don’t want to spend a crap ton of money on a new/built motor. My wife and I have been talking about starting a family and I have been saving for such a thing. At the same time, I’ve realized a few things.
1. I’m not ready to walk away from the sport.
2. If and when I hang up the helmet for kid duty, I want it to be on my terms, not because the car is blown.
3. I’m a better driver than I give myself credit for, and want at least one more season.
4. I absolutely love this platform.

Some of you may have seen some pictures, I don’t remember if they are in my build. But, Wendy’s body is not structurally sound. The one tower has been repaired, but the other side is getting worse. The back side of the passenger side wheel well is pretty much gone and where the driver side motor mount bolt in, is basically gone as well. I’m not even sure how the bolt nut is being held to the unibody. I’ve noticed these spots getting worse and worse after each race, due to the stress of racing.

Sooooooo….if I’m going to resurrect Wendy and all the greatness we had, ill need 2 things. A new clean rust free shell and a used motor.

This is the direction I’m leaning right now and id like to give myself a budget of $1000 to get it done.

On to the “problem”. Check these out. The balance shaft was sitting outside the back of the motor. I just reached down and pulled it out. Not sure what to think on this one….

IMG_20151124_171817170_zpsy96p5kfd.jpg[/URL
]

I wear a size 12.

[URL=http://s285.photobucket.com/user/awolo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151124_173337253_zpsucwm5sw5.jpg.html]IMG_20151124_173337253_zpsucwm5sw5.jpg

At least she still looks good…

IMG_20151123_171433769_zpszjioliun.jpg[/URL]

Hopefully your looking into throwing some more fuel at the car and turning her up a little

Sorry to hear this bro! I wish you the best and hope it does not drain you like it does some others! Keep your chin up and im sure your wife will understand LOL

Is a beautiful car hopefully I can't get mine back to the stock body with the exceptions of the carbon fiber hood and hopefully hatch and fenders(don't wana gut the decently clean interior so this is where I'm at for weight reduction) Keep on wrenching brother!

UPDATE: 12-7-2015

Well, I found a motor! Picked up an auto 97 GST long block, with the T25, torque converter, starter, accessories, intake mani, etc for $100! Motor has 165k and a spun rod bearing. I jumped on ExtremePSI and picked up new rod and main bearings during their sale for $85 total.

Being stored at my buddies house, huge thank you to Justin (99ECLIPSEGSXDSM). I’m hoping to pick it up after Christmas and tear it down for a rebuild and refresh. Pictures will be taken of course. Looks like I’ll be able to move some parts I have laying around and what I dont need off of this motor and come out even or maybe a little ahead money wise. Which is always good.

I’m going to take the time to assess Wendys body more and see if a shell is truly the way to go.

Excited none the less.

THANK YOU ALL for the kind words and encouragement.

I ran a cast 20g wheel mated to a TD06sl2 turbine in my evo 8. It made 448 wheel torque at 28psi. It sounds like you just stressed the shit out of your rods. ROFLROFL

Anywho, blowing motors is sad, but looks like you're on the right track. I've always been a fan of your car and loved watching you autocross at the shootout. Hopefully we can see it in action again some day soon.

See if you can pick up some Evo 9 pistons and rods. I got mine for my build for about $150 plus new rings and bearings.

UPDATE: 12/11/2015

Getting closer and closer to pulling everything out of the bay. Trying to get the T-Case off, looks like the pan is…well….look for yourself.

IMG_20151208_190041626_zpsfazskixh.jpg

Found my piston!

IMG_20151208_190104000_zpsmfzph2yx.jpg

I’ve been hitting the pan with a heavy hammer to bend it back up so I can get the T-Case off. Every time I hit it, chunks and pieces of the block, piston, cradle fall out.

Best of luck man, I'm sure she'll come back even stronger.
Don't count out forged internals so quickly!

Im not counting them out, but I cant get my hopes up. My wife and I make good money, but im trying to get my school loans paid off and its a draining task.

Sorry to hear this bro! I wish you the best and hope it does not drain you like it does some others! Keep your chin up and im sure your wife will understand LOL

Wifey told me to keep it in the end. She knows id be a lost puppy without Wendy.

I ran a cast 20g wheel mated to a TD06sl2 turbine in my evo 8. It made 448 wheel torque at 28psi. It sounds like you just stressed the sh** out of your rods. ROFLROFL

Anywho, blowing motors is sad, but looks like you're on the right track. I've always been a fan of your car and loved watching you autocross at the shootout. Hopefully we can see it in action again some day soon.

THANK YOU! Its great to hear from people who like watching her run. Comments like this fuel the fire to keep her return to the track alive.

See if you can pick up some Evo 9 pistons and rods. I got mine for my build for about $150 plus new rings and bearings.

I may have to keep an eye out. Good idea Jordan!

Sorry to see this Aaron, hope you can get it put back together under budget with plenty of time to do some racing this year. I think you made the right decision with where you're at in life, I would have done the same.

I very much appreciate that Justin. I am glad I didnt jump into a partout so quickly. The emotional rollercoaster over the days following her block blowing sucked. Biggest real issue is her body, which made the whole choice a lot harder. She WILL need reshelled at some point.

The GREAT NEWS is, my wife got into grad school to get her masters, so we have decided to hold off on starting a family. As much as I wanted to start a family, after she has her masters we will be in an even better financial situation, so it will all work out. This ultimately gives me more time to get her back up and running and at least 2 more racing seasons before I put racing on the back burner for father duties.

Great times to come!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back