'77 s30 4g63t

Posted by Alex7747, Mar 28, 2013
DSM Build Journals - Start a Journal to document your DSM build and document race events, dyno days, etc for the car.

1. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Hello everyone,

So around last year in December I decided i wanted a faster car then my Daily. The BMW handles like a dream but in a street line after 2nd gear it falls on its face. So i was looking at getting an M3 but then id be stuck at 333bhp and no way of getting more out of it (because of costs). So i ditched the idea and decided to do a 4g63t RWD car and i love BMWs e46 styling so i wanted to put a 4g63 into an e46 sedan.

Im a college student with not so much income and after about 2 months of playing with the idea i decided it wasn't going to be cost feasible and would take too long to finish so i ditched that idea and decided to get an s30 280z:hellyeah:. and so the build begins..

Plans for the car as of right now are:
    Paint
    find transmission
    Mount the engine
    wiring
    roll cage someday
    etc.

Im going to start with the motor because thats what i had first :)
    Back in january i bought a stock 6 bolt motor from someone on craigslist and tore it apart and decided to build it properly LOL.
    Engine: Wiseco 8.3:1 .020 over, Eagle rods, ACL race bearings, ARP head studs, and the head is stock for now. and some pictures of the engine...

From there i had to work on the cooling system and after many hours of research i decided to do one of Bill's ideas and block the front coolant holes in the head and drill an extra hole in the rear to move the flow from the front to back, to the back to front. so hopefully this works for me LOL

some pictures of the car when i saw it online, towing, and in my garage.

The beast motor along side the car.

Currently i am fixing rust spots and getting it ready for paint. heres a picture of a patch in the rear quarter.. Its not completely done but thats where I'm at.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=154165&stc=1&d=1364494929

random pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. MEz

MEz Proven Member

Gilbert, Arizona
    Nice seeing more Fairlady Z owners going with a true bang-for-buck power plant, instead of the ol' sr20 (love the engine, but more potential in a 4g). What were your goals with this?
  3. DRTredHEAD

DRTredHEAD Proven Member

Bedford, Texas
    Great to see a Fairlady getting something other than a small block chevy!!
  4. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Yeah i don't like to do things that are so mainstream. hence the reason why I'm doing a mitsu motor in a classic Datsun LOL.
    The goals for the car:
    Strip it completely and paint the interior and exterior(in the process of doing that now)

Drop the motor in (i already ordered the bell housing from bill for the w series trans)

get it running (have the harness and ecu should be on its way) hopefully by mid-summer

then suspension work i want this thing to handle corners and not just go in a straight line, debating stitch welding the whole interior??

i only plan on 300-350 rwhp to start and max 500-550 when its completely done
  5. MEz

MEz Proven Member

Gilbert, Arizona
    Stitch it if you are going with a roll cage to stiffen the chassis.
  6. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    yeah i most likely will. i was taking that sound damping stuff out last night and thats a pain haha but other that that stuff its gutted. ill post pics once I'm done..
  7. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Got some parts in the mail today and thought it would be a good time to update. Got my Eprom ECU and my sheet metal intake manifold i found an awesome deal that i couldn't pass up..
    And I'm still working on getting the interior stripped.

Below is an intake manifold off an e46 M3. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to do that to my sheet metal manifold? I'm talking about the couplers at the base of the runners.

Attached Files:

8. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Got my paint today. 1 gallon of metallic black, 1 gallon of clear, and a gallon of high build primer. and all the hardeners and activators.

Attached Files:

9. DRTredHEAD

DRTredHEAD Proven Member

Bedford, Texas
    Had a friend do that with his manifold definatly dropped the intake temps but every time we pulled the manifold we had to retune because of the runner length difference. Made it a pain to get consistent results. Not to mention when you pop your IM off from boost pressure.
  10. acidreian

acidreian Proven Member

NPR, Florida
    I cant wait to see some Vootage of this beast on the road
  11. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    I ordered the 2" couplings and clamps and I'm going to do it. mainly to turn the throttle body around and make the manifold RWD (its a FWD/AWD manifold). I got such a great deal on it that i couldn't pass it up :coy:. I plan on flaring the edges of the runners if its possible to keep them from popping off :).

You and I both :thumb:
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  12. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Got my coupler and t-claps in the mail today along with my bell housing :hellyeah:. Bill does and Amazing job! fitment and casting was flawless:thumb: Highly recommend his adapters!

So today i was about to finish up my interior and have it all painted, that was my goal at least, but then i remembered that today a junkyard near me was having a 50% off sale today and thought it would be a perfect time to find my transmission. I did and it was only $97 after taxes so i couldn't complain.

My RWD manifold :sneaky: i guess time will tell if it leaks or pops off, but its on there fairly strong.

and my W-58 out of an old non-turbo supra, with bills adapter. I painted them both, once i cleaned the transmission. It should last for my current goals and when it breaks i should be getting an R-154 :).

Hopefully next update will be with the interior complete and Engine bay with a 4g63 in it :pray:

Attached Files:

13. talon2gbuyer

talon2gbuyer Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Aston, Pennsylvania
    Looking good man. nicely done thus far :D
  14. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Thank you :thumb:
  15. buddahboost

buddahboost Proven Member

CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Illinois
    Delicious!!
    Keep up the good work!
  16. 11Banger

11Banger Proven Member

Ft. Stewart, Georgia
    At least you didn't put a RB into it like everyone else doesn't, can't wait to see this finished.
  17. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Making the motor mounts..

Got the rear of the interior painted black. working on the passenger side, fixing the rust spots :nogood:.

some pics..

Ps. i suck at welding and i know i do LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  18. NIS-95-Serf

NIS-95-Serf Probationary Member

Hesperia, California
    looks good. I gotta get my Datsun now haha.
    still don't know what 4cyl to use
  19. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Got my engine bay painted and engine mocked up.

Now i can start on the body work and get this bad boy painted :rocks:

Attached Files:

20. avenged5

avenged5 Proven Member

Clarksville, Tennessee
    Yeah, you don't wanna be like everyone else isn't. ROFL JK jk

This thing is AWESOME. I agree with the V8 statement, except I have come across wayyyyyyy too many with a Ford 302. When you're finished, let me drive it?.................. :pray: Haha. Just kiddin. ;)
  21. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    thanks man:thumb:
    Hopefully you get it soon.

If you lived closer id give you a ride in it LOL
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  22. schalk35

schalk35 Proven Member

Lansing, Michigan
    This is F***ING AWESOME!... haha love the build. Sub'd
  23. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Thank you good sir :rocks:

The body is in real bad shape thats why I've been waiting to do it last, that and because i don't want to paint the exterior and then the interior and engine bay and get over spray on the exterior paint. Id rather have some over spray on the interior and engine bay then the exterior, if you guys can understand what i mean? LOL. I do plan on taping everything up once i start the painting but I'm probably not going to start the body work for a week or so just to get my mind off the car for a while haha.
  24. turboking15

turboking15 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    columbus, Ohio
    What intake manifold did you start with ?
  25. Alex7747

Alex7747 Proven Member

Hesperia, California
    Its an evo 1-3 JDM manifold. got it from Japan :). It says "velocity" on it Not sure if thats the brand or ??

I just realized that i haven't posted pictures of the interior. Here are some pics of the interior, sorry that its dirty LOL. fixed all three rust holes in the floor. cut out the rust, welded another piece in then bondoed over it and painted.

then theres my transmission mount, modified the old existing one.. and look how short my transmission is :ohdamn:... that should be fun shifting :rolleyes:

Attached Files: