The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Turbo Alternators

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGajre777

DSM Wiseman
Jul 16, 2004
Orlando, Florida
I need a new alternator. I have been searching for hours on here and DSMSource.com and can't find what I am looking for. My electrical system now reads 11.5v with the car running and when I go over 3000RPMs, it goes up to 13.6 and below 3000RPMs it goes back to 11.5v.

My question is where can you buy a new alternator? :confused: What I am looking for is this - 100% new components, including rectifier, regulator, rotor, stator and bearings.

I have a local shop in town that builds alternators, but how can I make sure that the replace everything in the alternator with good quality parts?

I found other sites that have rebuilt alternators:
1) www.alterstart.com - found a guy on here who's alternator died in a few months
2) www.autoelectric.com - found a guy on here who's alternator died in a year
3) www.advanceautoparts.com - all they have is rebuilt alternators
4) www.boschautoparts.com - they have new and rebuilt alternators.

Bosch rebuilt alternators have a 2 year warranty on it and according to their website, they have new bearings but the voltage regulators and rectifiers are tested and replaced where required.

I was quoted $240 with $20 core (Club DSM discount) from First Team Mitsubshi in Tallahassee - since there is a core charge, I am guessing this is not a new unit, but I don't know if they just use the body and replace everything else or replace what is needed.

I know that 2G Turbo DSMs have 90amp alternators but they are called 75amp alternators to adhere with US factory specs. I saw the 100amp alternator fuse in the car (instead of 80amp that I was expecting). I plan to do a 4G rewire for the alternator and most probably replace the factory fuse with an aftermarket 100amp fuse or circuit breaker. I have a Class D 600Watt Alpine Amp, 1/2 farad capacitor (not hooked up yet) and plan to get an Optima Blue Top D34M battery (Dual use starting and deep cycle battery). I don't want to replace alternators every month or even every year.

EDIT: I called Pepboys and they can get a 100% NEW Bosch alternator for $393 (no core charge, and lifetime limited warranty) but it will get here in a week if I order it tomorrow. So what is the best route to go? New Bosch or rebuilt Mitsubishi?

Since I can't wait over a week for a new alternator from Bosch, I've decided to get one from Mitsubishi. Does anyone know which parts Mitsubishi replaces when they rebuild the alternator?

Do they atleast replace the rectifier diode bridge and the voltage regulator? For those who don't know the insides of an alternator, here is a pic from Bosch.

Attachments

• alternator.bmp
    204.8 KB · Views: 130
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back