The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2g master clutch cylinder...help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawn87

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 6, 2007
sacramento, California
ok so i just finished relocating my battery to the back and when i get on the road i notice a check engine light...i truned back to my house and when i get there (by luck) my clutch master cylinder goes out (pedal stuck to floor and fluid in the car)...my questions are the following:

does a bad clutch cylinder send a CEL?

how do i fleed the system when i replace the cylinder?

is there a step by step white up?

thanx in advance.
:talon:

No cel for a clutch. Fluid in the car your clutch cylinder is leaking in the car under the dash. Look under
and look, cant explain it any other way.

No CEL for clutch. I just replaced my master cylinder last week. VERY easy job. I decided not to bleed all of the fluid before hand like in this write up, but its your choice. Also, before you bleed the clutch you need to bleed the master cylinder.

How to bleed the master cylinder:
- Take the hard line off at the Master Cylinder
- Fill the reservoir with fluid
- Press your thumb over the hole where you took off the hard line
- Have someone pump the pedal(2 man operation if installed)
- You should feel pressure on your thumb (fluid may leak out)
- Release the pressure & repeat (you may have to do this a few times to get all air out)
- You know its good when you press the pedal and see a steady stream of fluid

How to install a clutch master cylinder

Good Luck. You can do this with basic tools a very little mechanical knowledge.

No CEL for clutch. I just replaced my master cylinder last week. VERY easy job. I decided not to bleed all of the fluid before hand like in this write up, but its your choice. Also, before you bleed the clutch you need to bleed the master cylinder.

How to bleed the master cylinder:
- Take the hard line off at the Master Cylinder
- Fill the reservoir with fluid
- Press your thumb over the hole where you took off the hard line
- Have someone pump the pedal(2 man operation if installed)
- You should feel pressure on your thumb (fluid may leak out)
- Release the pressure & repeat (you may have to do this a few times to get all air out)
- You know its good when you press the pedal and see a steady stream of fluid

How to install a clutch master cylinder

Good Luck. You can do this with basic tools a very little mechanical knowledge.

thanx that actually helps alot, but i notice u mentioned "2 man operation if installed"
does that maen i can do bleed if before install?... hopefully ill have it done by monday...
as for that code i disconected the battery:sosad: so now i dont know what it is unless it comes back on.

You could bleed it before you install it, but you are going to want to have 2 people anyways when you bleed the clutch so it shouldn't be too inconvenient.

If you wanted to try and bleed it before you install it you would have to do this:

-Connect the reservoir hose to the master cylinder
-Fill reservoir, and somehow keep it up right and balanced
-Cover the hole where the hard line would go with you finger
-Push the cylinder rod in (simulated pumping by the pedal)
-Repeat until fluid comes out hard line hole steadily
-Keep everything upright so you don't sill fluid all over and install

You can see how doing it this way may be a little more of a pain in the ass.

As for the CEL. I guess you'll have to wait until you have you clutch done for it to come back on. If it is going to come back on it will do so within the next few start-ups, or few miles of driving.

oh wow i think ill just bleed it when installed then:tease:... is there a chance the rest of the system got air in it if so where would i bleed the hole system? the slave cylinder's bleed valve perhaps?

oh wow i think ill just bleed it when installed then:tease:... is there a chance the rest of the system got air in it if so where would i bleed the hole system? the slave cylinder's bleed valve perhaps?

Yes, you will want to bleed the whole system regardless.

This is also very simple and will probably only take you like 10 minutes.

How to bleed your hydraulic clutch

Make sure to use the hose trick. It prevents any air from being sucked back in and you having to do it all over again.

It looks like this, but make sure you fill the bottle full enough so the hose stays submerged.
-It prevents air from being sucked up
-It allows you to see when you get all the shitty fluid out
-It allows you to see when all of the air is out

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back