Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Turbo System Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Turbo System Tech: 4G63 turbos, Intercooling, Boost Control, Wastegates, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 06:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 140
Photos: 30
Classifieds Rating: 0
1G-specific

Doubt on GT30R turbo

I'm about to buy a GT30 dual ball bearing turbo for my Talon and have yet to decide which. The only doubt I have is maybe kindda silly but I have to ask. I don't know if I should buy a bolt-on GT30 (like the ones SBR or Forced Performance sell) which have the Mitsu style exhaust housing or if I should buy the plain Garrett T3 inlet flange GT30. Are there any actual benefits/differences between one another (besides the bolt-on proposition of course)????

Thanx for any experience on this.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

I'll try to make this a little more specific because I don't want a turbo comparison war. What I would like to know is if there are any actual/proven benefits, performance wise of course if you use the Mitsu style exhaust housing rather than the original Garret housing or vice versa.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,638
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 8
Send a message via AIM to DSM90AWD
Go with the FP3052 and never look back. Thiat setup has made 540WHP, spools quick and bolts-on to your existing manifold/O2

Old 03-23-2007, 10:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 4,519
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 7
Yes there will be a performance difference as different turbine housing will play an important role on this. I myself origionally was going to go the T3 3076 route & after comparing all the setups & performance I descided the FP3052 was the route I wanted to go (if you didn't happen to know the FP3052 is just a GT3076 with forced performances cast SS turbine housing). I could go on about all the differences but I already have done this in very detailed posts when I was making my turbo decision & figuring out all the different setups. Search this section for a thread I started called 5031 vs 3431 vs 3076 & also the follow up thread GT3076 vs FP3052. They are both within the last few months.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Thanx a lot, I did some forum search using the complete turbo names, not the numbers and couldn't find a thing. Your previous post did really help out.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 472
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 12
Send a message via AIM to unlmtdndeavor
if it helps, i'm going to be tuning my 3052 in a few days. i'll post up the results. the car previously made approx 350awhp on 91 pump gas and a stock block and head, minus fp2 cams. looking for about 480awhp on the built motor with 91+meth
Visit unlmtdndeavor's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-24-2007, 02:41 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

Race Components Inc 

Timeslip: 9.693 @ 150.800
Tech Posts: 1,568
Photos: 9
Classifieds Rating: 18
Reputation: BrokenTsi is extremely helpful and trustworthyBrokenTsi is extremely helpful and trustworthyBrokenTsi is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to BrokenTsi
Ive had lots of experience with the fp3052. I posted up a vid in the vids section.
Visit BrokenTsi's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-24-2007, 12:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Zookeeper/Founder

Tech Posts: 3,243
Photos: 31
Classifieds Rating: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarTsi View Post
I'm about to buy a GT30 dual ball bearing turbo for my Talon and have yet to decide which. The only doubt I have is maybe kindda silly but I have to ask. I don't know if I should buy a bolt-on GT30 (like the ones SBR or Forced Performance sell) which have the Mitsu style exhaust housing or if I should buy the plain Garrett T3 inlet flange GT30. Are there any actual benefits/differences between one another (besides the bolt-on proposition of course)????

Thanx for any experience on this.
Just to clear up some confusion - the FP3052 uses a FP housing, not a standard turbine Mitsu housing. Their housing is made to bolt up to a Mitsu exhaust manifold but not a standard Mitsu O2 housing.

FP HTA76-powered road race 91 GSX (resto-mod)
97 Talon TSi AWD daily driver

Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,193
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to Black95TSIawd
Nate from DSMotorsport told me the FP turbine housing she be the equivalent in terms of flow to the garret .63 T3 housing.