Doubt on GT30R turbo

Posted by DarkstarTsi, Mar 23, 2007

Please Support Boostin Performance
  1. DarkstarTsi

DarkstarTsi Proven Member

Joined Jan 5, 2003
    Lima, South America
    I'm about to buy a GT30 dual ball bearing turbo for my Talon and have yet to decide which. The only doubt I have is maybe kindda silly but I have to ask. I don't know if I should buy a bolt-on GT30 (like the ones SBR or Forced Performance sell) which have the Mitsu style exhaust housing or if I should buy the plain Garrett T3 inlet flange GT30. Are there any actual benefits/differences between one another (besides the bolt-on proposition of course)????

Thanx for any experience on this.

My DSM:
  2. DarkstarTsi

Joined Jan 5, 2003
    Lima, South America
    I'll try to make this a little more specific because I don't want a turbo comparison war. What I would like to know is if there are any actual/proven benefits, performance wise of course if you use the Mitsu style exhaust housing rather than the original Garret housing or vice versa.

My DSM:
  3. DSM90AWD

DSM90AWD DSM Wiseman

Joined Dec 22, 2002
    Bear, Delaware
    Go with the FP3052 and never look back. Thiat setup has made 540WHP, spools quick and bolts-on to your existing manifold/O2 :dsm:

My DSM:
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

11.899 @ 122.410 MPH
  4. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 22, 2004
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Yes there will be a performance difference as different turbine housing will play an important role on this. I myself origionally was going to go the T3 3076 route & after comparing all the setups & performance I descided the FP3052 was the route I wanted to go (if you didn't happen to know the FP3052 is just a GT3076 with forced performances cast SS turbine housing). I could go on about all the differences but I already have done this in very detailed posts when I was making my turbo decision & figuring out all the different setups. Search this section for a thread I started called 5031 vs 3431 vs 3076 & also the follow up thread GT3076 vs FP3052. They are both within the last few months.

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

12.370 @ 119.800 MPH
  5. DarkstarTsi

Joined Jan 5, 2003
    Lima, South America
    Thanx a lot, I did some forum search using the complete turbo names, not the numbers and couldn't find a thing. Your previous post did really help out.

My DSM:
  6. unlmtdndeavor

unlmtdndeavor Proven Member

Joined Nov 20, 2003
    San Ramon/SLO, California
    if it helps, i'm going to be tuning my 3052 in a few days. i'll post up the results. the car previously made approx 350awhp on 91 pump gas and a stock block and head, minus fp2 cams. looking for about 480awhp on the built motor with 91+meth

My DSM:
  7. BrokenTsi

BrokenTsi Supporting Vendor

Joined May 3, 2003
    Rome, New York
    Ive had lots of experience with the fp3052. I posted up a vid in the vids section.

My DSM:
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

9.693 @ 150.800 MPH
  8. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    Just to clear up some confusion - the FP3052 uses a FP housing, not a standard turbine Mitsu housing. Their housing is made to bolt up to a Mitsu exhaust manifold but not a standard Mitsu O2 housing.

My DSM:
    1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

Street Build

16g   manual
  9. Black95TSIawd

Black95TSIawd Proven Member

Joined Jan 28, 2003
    Dirty, New Jersey
    Nate from DSMotorsport told me the FP turbine housing she be the equivalent in terms of flow to the garret .63 T3 housing.

My DSM:
    1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

184.4 whp   251.0 lb/ft
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (sold)

Drag Race Build

20g   manual