Doubt on GT30R turbo

Posted by DarkstarTsi, Mar 23, 2007
Turbo System Tech - 4G63 turbos, Intercooling, Boost Control, Wastegates, etc.

1. DarkstarTsi

DarkstarTsi Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Lima, South_America
    I'm about to buy a GT30 dual ball bearing turbo for my Talon and have yet to decide which. The only doubt I have is maybe kindda silly but I have to ask. I don't know if I should buy a bolt-on GT30 (like the ones SBR or Forced Performance sell) which have the Mitsu style exhaust housing or if I should buy the plain Garrett T3 inlet flange GT30. Are there any actual benefits/differences between one another (besides the bolt-on proposition of course)????

Thanx for any experience on this.

2. DarkstarTsi

DSM Profiles:
    Lima, South_America
    I'll try to make this a little more specific because I don't want a turbo comparison war. What I would like to know is if there are any actual/proven benefits, performance wise of course if you use the Mitsu style exhaust housing rather than the original Garret housing or vice versa.

3. DSM90AWD

DSM90AWD DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Bear, Delaware
    Go with the FP3052 and never look back. Thiat setup has made 540WHP, spools quick and bolts-on to your existing manifold/O2 :dsm:

4. daren_p

daren_p DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Newmarket, ON_Canada
    Yes there will be a performance difference as different turbine housing will play an important role on this. I myself origionally was going to go the T3 3076 route & after comparing all the setups & performance I descided the FP3052 was the route I wanted to go (if you didn't happen to know the FP3052 is just a GT3076 with forced performances cast SS turbine housing). I could go on about all the differences but I already have done this in very detailed posts when I was making my turbo decision & figuring out all the different setups. Search this section for a thread I started called 5031 vs 3431 vs 3076 & also the follow up thread GT3076 vs FP3052. They are both within the last few months.

5. DarkstarTsi

DSM Profiles:
    Lima, South_America
    Thanx a lot, I did some forum search using the complete turbo names, not the numbers and couldn't find a thing. Your previous post did really help out.

6. unlmtdndeavor

unlmtdndeavor Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    San Ramon/SLO, California
    if it helps, i'm going to be tuning my 3052 in a few days. i'll post up the results. the car previously made approx 350awhp on 91 pump gas and a stock block and head, minus fp2 cams. looking for about 480awhp on the built motor with 91+meth

7. BrokenTsi

BrokenTsi Supporting Vendor

DSM Profiles:
    Rome, New_York
    Ive had lots of experience with the fp3052. I posted up a vid in the vids section.

8. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

DSM Profiles:
    Roseville, California
    Just to clear up some confusion - the FP3052 uses a FP housing, not a standard turbine Mitsu housing. Their housing is made to bolt up to a Mitsu exhaust manifold but not a standard Mitsu O2 housing.

9. Black95TSIawd

Black95TSIawd Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Dirty, New_Jersey
    Nate from DSMotorsport told me the FP turbine housing she be the equivalent in terms of flow to the garret .63 T3 housing.