Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Frequently Answered DSM Questions > Newbie Thread Graveyard
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Thread Graveyard: Repetitive questions already answered in the FAQ Forum, Tech Articles, other New Member required reading, VFAQ.com, etc. This is a read-only forum. If your thread ends up here, you didn't do the required reading.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 08:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

I sale snails 

Tech Posts: 1,857
Photos: 5
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 84
Send a message via MSN to pj91gsx

Anyone have a crank turned .010 with a lot of hp?

Anyone ever broke a crankshaft because it was turned over and too much hp? I was talking to a dsmer that broke a few crankshafts that were turned .10 over and I cant figure out why. He said he had 654 hp. I will be using a ported cylinder head and a 2005 holset hx 45. I think that is the turbo, my brother bought it. As for my research, no one on her has broken a .010 over crankshaft or even a crankshaft that was turned at all. Anyone know why the crank would have broken?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,658
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 1
Well the stock crank is nitrite coated, that .010 under size doesn't affect the strength of the crank much at all. Were those broken cranks stroked or ones with an overheated journal from a spun bearing?
Most of the time when someone spins a bearing or has rod knock, they let it go way too long, I assume those cranks your buddy had were bought for cheap for that very reason.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-05-2009, 09:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

I sale snails 

Tech Posts: 1,857
Photos: 5
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 84
Send a message via MSN to pj91gsx
thanks for the reply and that is a very good point. I will ask him tomorrow. I know for sure that the crankshaft that I have did not spin a bearing but it was just grooved from people that don't like to change their oil and run their car hard. The 255hp over powering the stock regulator wore that rings out to end the engines life as well. So sad.

Last edited by Defiant; 09-06-2009 at 01:24 AM.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-06-2009, 01:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
Nitriding is not a "coating", but a molecular treatment.

Mitsubishi says their crankshafts are not to be machined. Do what you like.

This topic has been extensively discussed.
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car