The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

F1 racing vs. XTD clutch on ebay

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inneed4dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2007
Elkhart, Indiana
I searched for a clutch on ebay and both these brands had about the same horsepower ratings and what not but can I get somebody's opinion on which brand is better... pretty much just which one will hold up better...

Run away from Ebay clutches. Stick with a bigger name like ACT, Centerforce, or even SPEC.

Wow I expected more than that from a mod....

I run a XTD stage 4 clutch with a sprung 6 puck disc. It rocks. Holds 6000 rpm dumps on a awd drivetrain. I have ran it for 2 years now with no problems. I researched them alot before I bought it. I would not use xtd's flywheel but thier clutch is stout. I have heard of more ACT clutch failing premature than XTD. Maybe because more people use ACT or maybe because XTD makes a good product.

BTW if you want to order the stage 4 clutch kit it comes with an unsprung disc. Email them and they will send it with a sprung disk.

Wow I expected more than that from a mod....

What did you expect?

Look when it comes to me and racing I require two simple things. The part needs to work all the time every time, and it needs to be better than the part I already have on the car. I've had a few different ebay clutches and they've all failed on me. I've never once had that issue with the clutches I listed above. There are 3 distinct features to any part that you buy from anyone: It's price, it's quality, and the speed in which it is able to be put into your hands. At any time you can only choose two of those.

In this case you're looking at a piece that's very cheap and readily available, sounds to me like they're sacrificing quality somewhere. No matter what you cannot combine all three, marketing is all about finding that balance, and that's the degree I'm studying for. In that case I'm going to give my best advice which is to spend a little more money and get something that myself and thousands of others have had good experience with.

The thing with "ebay brands" gets out of control sometimes. XTD while sold on ebay is pretty well known. I know tial vendors that sell tial products on ebay. Are they crap? No of course not. Alot of times you pay for a name. All clutches will fail. In higher horse power situations they will fail more often. Basic physics. Friction is a bi***.

This guy payed for a name, aswell as many others. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/288711-my-experience-act.html

I was searching for similer xtd stories and found little to none. Both companies (ACT & XTD) Back up thier product. If it fails you can send it back and they will send you a new one.
Bottom line most people are very happy with XTD clutches. I am curious to hear your bad experiance with an XTD cluth though. What happened?

I also run an XTD clutch and a lightweight flywheel, I ve had no problems with either, they fit perfectly and if you search ACT youll find a lot more problems popping up with them.

When I say "ebay clutches" I mean clutches that are predominantly bought and sold on Ebay as opposed to various speedshops. I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of good experiences would lie with the big name brands still. Sell 100,000 but problems with 10 of them = .0001% failure rate, but sell 1000 of them and have 1 problem and that product actually has a .1% failure rate. You tell me which one is more likely to work now.

I've never had bad experiences with XTD clutches in particular, but cap clutches I have as well as another brand who's name I can't remember right now. Both were everything from the friction material coming loose from the disc to the rivets holding the center splines in place coming apart. All those failures were on a lowly 14b as well. I moved to an ACT 2600 for awhile and had great luck. Replaced that with a used centerforce plate and stock disc and that combo's held up in the car for the last 3 years.

You chose to take a shot on an unknown, and it didn't bite you. I did and it bit me a few times. My experiences although different from yours are no less relevant.

I like to run what the top guys run, those who are pushing the boundaries of their setups. Shep, TRE, FP, all the big guys reccomend and use ACT or more extensive twin disc setups. I've never even seen an XTD clutch at any dsm vendors shop, that says something to me.

XTD is amazing. I have a Stage III XTD cluch kit w/ flywheel and love it. It takes the abuse and they have great customer service. I believe F1 Racing, XTD and Gripforce share the same research and development.

I run the same setup as Selmerguy. Have for 10 or 15k. I've given it a positive rating in a few threads. I actually have the clutch out for an engine swap and it still looks good. I do want to measure friction material depth, because it looks a little thin. might be wearing prematurely.

I know from a few freind's experiances that xtd clutches are junk. There were a couple of wrx's and dsm's with them. None lasted more than 1,000 miles after break in. I would bet the f1 racing clutch is the same.

When I say "ebay clutches" I mean clutches that are predominantly bought and sold on Ebay as opposed to various speedshops. I'd be willing to bet that the percentage of good experiences would lie with the big name brands still. Sell 100,000 but problems with 10 of them = .0001% failure rate, but sell 1000 of them and have 1 problem and that product actually has a .1% failure rate. You tell me which one is more likely to work now.

I've never had bad experiences with XTD clutches in particular, but cap clutches I have as well as another brand who's name I can't remember right now. Both were everything from the friction material coming loose from the disc to the rivets holding the center splines in place coming apart. All those failures were on a lowly 14b as well. I moved to an ACT 2600 for awhile and had great luck. Replaced that with a used centerforce plate and stock disc and that combo's held up in the car for the last 3 years.

You chose to take a shot on an unknown, and it didn't bite you. I did and it bit me a few times. My experiences although different from yours are no less relevant.

I like to run what the top guys run, those who are pushing the boundaries of their setups. Shep, TRE, FP, all the big guys reccomend and use ACT or more extensive twin disc setups. I've never even seen an XTD clutch at any dsm vendors shop, that says something to me.

Nuff said. I was one of the first guys to start running xtd clutchs and I'm glad to see more people hoppin on board. I don't have a car that XTD makes clutches for or I would be running one as itr would probably be a lot cheaper than the spec clutch I run now :notgood:. Anyway just like it was stated the stage 4 is a unsprung setup but I didn't think it was too harsh but then again I had a turbo that wasn't a on off switch so the power came on smooth. A stage 4 pressure plate with sprung stage 3 disk would make for a great setup for just about any dsmer for half the price of a act2600 and hold just as much.

Edit: by the way I did 7k clutch dump(yes dumps just to test it) with a gt14 turbo and full bolt ons and that thing didn't as much as chirp or smell or anything just gripped and ripped.

look like i got the crap one then, my f1 six prung disc is good but the dam plate causes the car to vibrate really bad on normal take off.

look like i got the crap one then, my f1 six prung disc is good but the dam plate causes the car to vibrate really bad on normal take off.

Did you replace or had your flywheel checked, and if you did you should be able to have the them replace your pressure plate. The place i went through has good custurmer service.

I have a six puck stage III F1 Racing clutch in my DD and it has lasted 3000 miles so far, The clutch grabs much harder than stock and the pressure on the clutch pedal seems to be the same, but because it is a six puck it engages rough and has clutch chatter when in reverse. These clutches are good for stock or low horsepower cars. The pressure plate and disk are still in very good condition, I know this because I recently replaced the tranny which failed. I have also run XTD clutches and love them.

+1 For F1's stage 4 sprung 6 puck. Daily driven for 6 months so far with an aluminum flywheel.

What did you expect?

Look when it comes to me and racing I require two simple things. The part needs to work all the time every time, and it needs to be better than the part I already have on the car. I've had a few different ebay clutches and they've all failed on me.

And I had an ACT, and the pressure plate and clutch both broke, and each was broken in more than one spot. The ACT also didn't disengage all that great, which I've heard on here is a common issue with ACT.

hey man i just bought a new clutch kit for my talon im going to use a mix of f1 extreme racing pressure plate and ACT 6-puck sprung race disc plus fidanza aluminum flywheel ...so ill let you know how they stand up to power .:talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back