Ebay XTD stage 3 clutch and flywheel

Posted by dale187, Nov 2, 2009
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. dale187

dale187 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Dover, Delaware
    Well it's time for a clutch now something more meetier than the stock one. For a while i have alwys used a stock clutch. Well after my front mount and tranny install i went back to the track and was amazed the power the front mount made me and that it was just too much for stock clutches anymore.. I launched at 5250 and the clutched slipped all the way through 3rd and i ran a 13.50. So i'm thinking i should be running 13.10s and ###### making like 270 to the wheels. Crazy thing is when i get on my car from a 1st ger roll it never slips.. Only after i launch. But that sounds right like the clutch is heating up and getting soft and then slipping. But anyways i want a nice heavy duty clutch with still a decently soft peddle and i heard that they are pretty nice. I used one in my turbo civic and it held fine. Just wanted to know how they run in these cars. Let me know guys. Thanks!
  2. habitatguy187

habitatguy187 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've heard lots of bad things about using puck discs with springs. A couple guys on here who're putting down good HP swear by the xtd stage 4, which comes with an unsprung disc.

As far as the stage 1 and 2 I've read mostly bad reviews on them.
  3. dale187

dale187 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Dover, Delaware
    I might just go with that.. the unsprung is that a puck disk too?
  4. FenixTX717

FenixTX717 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    k-town, Wisconsin
    Personally I loved my Exedy stage 1 clutch kit (2100lbs). Held up just fine to around 350whp and never really slipped on me and I put over 35000 miles of abuse on it. If my goals weren't for much higher I'd throw another one of those in my car in a heart beat!
  5. force it in

force it in Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Los Angeles, California
    I'm using this XTD stage 4 clutch. XTD® STAGE 4 CLUTCH KIT -ECLIPSE /TALON /LASER TURBO:eBay Motors (item 350270110118 end time Nov-24-09 19:36:07 PST) I have no complaints after 1500 miles of street use. The throw out bearing was steel sleeved so I just threw it away & used an OEM one. It chattered in stop & go L.A. traffic when it was new, but not so much after break- in. So far it's performing way better than the Fidanza 3.2 it replaced. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/240420-fidanza-clutch-thread-5.html#post151890981
  6. bme91gsx

bme91gsx Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Muskegon, Michigan
    i blew a spring out of the disc at 550 miles on a stage 3 xtd..
  7. habitatguy187

DSM Profiles:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yep, same as the one in the link on ForceItIn's post.

That's what I have now, it's pretty decent. You have to remember the the OP has an awd, which will be a lot harder on a clutch than a fwd like you and I have.
  8. coryd

coryd Proven Member

sioux falls, South_Dakota
    unsprung puck disk are so hard on you drivetrain for dding
  9. dsmfa9nutter

dsmfa9nutter Proven Member

Nowhere, Wisconsin
    I run this clutch. I've got 4k daily driven miles on it and it's held 25psi out of an evoIII and no problems so far.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-R...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
  10. habitatguy187

DSM Profiles:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yeah I've heard that, but the people who have the xtd stage 4 ALL say that it's not that bad after break-in. Maybe the PP isn't as harsh idk?

Anyway next clutch change I do I'll be dropping an xtd stage 4 in.
  11. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Surprise, Arizona
    I ran an xtd stage 4 in my galant vr4. The stage 4 comes with a different pressure plate, and an unsprung puck disk. I don't have any problems with an unsprung clutch in traffic. The clutch held 30+ psi from an hx40, without issue. People that expect stock engaugement on such a small clutch, holding 500ft/lbs, are going to keep burning up stock style disks, and pushing the crank out of the block with unneeded superheavy duty pressure plates.
  12. whiteboyz

whiteboyz Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Albany, New_York
    I was thinking about buying one of these but was unsure of he quality and how well it would hold up. didnt want to have to replace it a week later. but since everyone is having no problems i think i'll order me one. what is better to have sprung or unsprung ? thanks
  13. boosteclipse

boosteclipse Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Newark, Arkansas
    I know a xtd stage 2 was junk on my gst, but a stage 3 may be fine.
  14. ziggo0

ziggo0 Proven Member

La Porte, Indiana
    May as well get the Stage 4...it's only 170$...170$ for a clutch is nothing when proven brand names go for 350+
  15. weegee411

weegee411 Proven Member

Pueblo, Colorado
    I have a 6 puck XTD stage 3. Its been on for a good 6k miles and I haven't had it slip once and I run 22 psi on a 14b turbo
  16. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Surprise, Arizona
    If you do a search, you'll find they break and explode as much as the cheapies.
  17. inneed4dsm

inneed4dsm Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Elkhart, Indiana
    i have an xtd stage 3 no problems yet but just so you know and ill speak for the stage 3 atleast when i say this... its a oem pressure plate spray painted red and a 6 puck sprung disc
  18. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Surprise, Arizona
    Yes it is. But, the stage 4 is a different presure plate. The pedal pressure is much heavier than stock with it.
  19. Musclebishi

Musclebishi Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    chippewa falls, Wisconsin
    I have a stage 4 with the sprung disc and it's been holding flawlessly. I have made several 12 second passes and it still performs like new. The engagment is little hard but you'll get use to it. I would recomment this stage if you're looking for a cheap performance clutch that is proven.
  20. crash89

crash89 Supporting Member

DSM Profiles:
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    I bought one of the xtd stage 3s and blew a spring out around 600 miles..
  21. habitatguy187

DSM Profiles:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Which is why people have been saying for years not to use a sprung puck disc. The stage 4 is unsprung.
  22. RedEyeBanDiT

RedEyeBanDiT Proven Member

Rowley, Massachusetts
    I have heard many bad things like the pucks falling off, and disc's grenading at 7500 miles. If you google this many issues from other forums come up and many people swear by these clutches then at 7500 miles they grenade BAM. I had a stage 4 and when I installed it the grooves in the clutch were not machined correctly and it would not slide onto my input shaft. I had to use a rat tail file and file them more. PITA. Used it for 1500 miles then I sold the car.
  23. dale187

dale187 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Dover, Delaware
    I think i will be ordering the stage 4 unsprung from SuperSpeed a eby compnay. They have a business telephone numer and everything and their reps are really good.. What about the lightweight XTD flywheel they over... It's 11.5 lbs. Anyone tried these flywheels? And people that have tried the stage 4 unsprung. How hard is the pedal? I like a hard pedal, i heard people were saying the pressure plate was different.
  24. dsmfa9nutter

dsmfa9nutter Proven Member

Nowhere, Wisconsin
    Do yourself a favor and get a sprung disc if you plan on driving on the street at all.
  25. dale187

dale187 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Dover, Delaware
    yea its for the street but i like my clutch pedal real hard anyways.. Well that will be more pressure plate than disk. How does an unsprung disk affect dd that much?