The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Parking brake woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zero97tsi

15+ Year Contributor
May 30, 2007
Duluth, Minnesota
So I finally got around to replacing my rear brake shoes/rotors and now my friggen parking brake rubs... both sides. It didnt seem to do that before, and its not just rubbing, its enough to stop my car. yar I hate the drum brake inside rotor setup...

Is there a way to adjust the whole setup bake there or... something?

Solution
Pull the rotor disc off and spin the star wheel adjuster until the shoes collapse enough to just get the drum on with them barely touching (drum spins freely). Then with drum on insert wide flat bladed screwdriver into hole in rear backing plate so it engages the star wheel teeth. Rotate the star wheel (by prying screwdriver up/down) in proper direction so shoes expand to contact drum solidly while turning drum. Now back them off till they intermittently barely touch drum. Pull and release parking brake and check again for intermittent contact (adjust again if necessary).
There is a little hole in the rear disc, you can put something small and sharp in there and adjust it. Push the parking brake shoes back and you'll make it work.

If you don't want to do that, another option is to adjust the parking brake cable.

Use a tool to push them back away from the rotor?

I noticed when I was installing the rotor there is some sort of (please excuse my lack of drum brake knowledge) spinning thing on the bottom with teeth, as though its ment to be spun. Unfortunatly Im a blundering moron and of course had to spin it, but it didnt seem like it did anything at all. does it indeed do something? Should I go mess with it again?

im pretty sure that thing you spun, ya shouldnt have...it basslicy pushes the brakes so that there out ( (-) )normal ((--))ebrake on basscily the teeth thing spins to push the pads out to engage the ebrake...you spun it so that its already engaged.

some one correct me if im wrong

Oh, I have no doubts that it may do something like that, as I said Im an entire moron and just have to tinker with the spinny dial thingy...

Any way, if this is the case, Im assuming that I can just, sping it like a screw to losten and tighten?

Yea, I gotta stop touching shit :toobad:

basicly you just wanna take the drum off again and spin it back to where it was and see if that makes a difference....i did the same thing in my camaro when i did the rear drums and had the same problem

and always touch stuff cause you learn more about your car, specailly if touching = breaking cause they you gett learn how to replace parts haha

Pull the rotor disc off and spin the star wheel adjuster until the shoes collapse enough to just get the drum on with them barely touching (drum spins freely). Then with drum on insert wide flat bladed screwdriver into hole in rear backing plate so it engages the star wheel teeth. Rotate the star wheel (by prying screwdriver up/down) in proper direction so shoes expand to contact drum solidly while turning drum. Now back them off till they intermittently barely touch drum. Pull and release parking brake and check again for intermittent contact (adjust again if necessary).

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back