The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Installing a 1G alternator in a 2G [merged 5/08]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattn

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2002
FloridaUS
So, I picked up a 1G alternator last night and the guy I bought it from said it will work in a 2G, and that the only difference is the wiring harness.. I'm in the process of pulling the old one out now.. has anyone done this before and have any tips for me? I sure hope that this WILL WORK cuz if it doesn't i'll be giving him a call..

I would love for the 1G alternator to work in my car BUT, the wiring harness is slightlt different for a 2G. The wiring harness on my 2G has 4 wires. (White, black w/yellow stripe, red, and black). The 1G wiring harness has only 2 wires. Red and black. Are you still sure that I will be fine? Cuz frankly, I don't have a clue where to go from now. I don't wanna go hooking something up incorrectly and potentially causing more problems..

Yeah, it should, as my 2G alternator fit right on my Japanese six-bolt.

is this possible for this to work and if so is there anyone who could help me with the wiring for it???

You probabyl dont need this anymore, but for general info,I/m doing the opposite now 1G onto 2G and probably will write it all up with pics when I/m done. It is possible, although the adjustable arm that allows the alternator to be tightened is a about 1/2" higher, so you need to mickey mouse a way to attach it, or replace the whole powers streering support and alternator support with 2g, wiring is pretty simple, 2G red goes on 1G yellow, 2G blue or black/yellow goes on 1G white (thin cable) The other two are for 2G engine control module, and you dont need them. Thanks:thumb:

I have a 99 gsx with a 1g alternator in it. The problem I'm running into is that I have a 2g plug that will not plug into my alternator. I have a 1g plug that will plug in but there are only two wires going into the plug where as there are four wires going into the plug that is currently on my car. Does anyone know a way that I can hard wire the four wires into the two wire plug? Or do I need to find a new plug with four wires and a 2g alternator? Thanks

Basically, we need to know if it's possible to hardwire a 1G alternator in a 2G car.
The 2G plug has 4 wires, and the 1g only has 2. Is this possible to hardwire/swap?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a post from steve:

There are two additional signals on the 2G alternator FR and G. FR is an output and can be ignored. The G terminal is a input to the regulator and largely turns off the alternator when grounded so if you let it float (disconnected) it should work like a 1G alternator.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/293762-alternator-wiring-help.html#post151495378

I believe the 2 wires steve is talking about are the outer two, so the two outer wires on the 2g connector can be ignored.

On the dsmlink forums there is a thread about using a Saturn altnerator in a dsm.

1g/2g wiring for the alternator
(1G)The 1G connector is a 2 wire just like the saturn alternator. The large yellow wire goes to the F terminal(black wire on the saturn connector).
The small black wire goes to the L terminal(black with white stripe wire on saturn connector).

(2G) The 2g connector has 4 wires, but you will only use the 2 middle wires! The Red wire (Field Wire) goes to the F terminal(Blackwire on the saturn connector).
The black with yellow stripe wire(light wire) goes to the L terminal (Black with white stripe wire on the saturn connector)

NOTE: The Red wire on the 2g connector has 12 volts even with the key off. Unhook your battery before doing this!

Also, the saturn plug sometimes has Brown wires and not black, but the terminals are marked on the plug, and the alternator case. You will be using the 2 middle terminals only. L(light) and F(field)

*** WIRING *** It is recomended that you run a 12v SWITCHED ignition source(F on the alt) wire to the alternator rather than use the constant 12v supply found in our cars.

It sounds to me like you can connect the red wire from the 2g plug (or preferably a 12V switched ignition source) to the yellow wire on the 1g plug and the black with yellow stripe wire from the 2g plug to the black wire on the 1g plug. Hope that helps.

Well, I verified the info in the post above, and it is correct. I hardwired a 1G alternator in Sewey's 99 GSX this weekend using the middle two wires from the 2G harness. The alternator dropped right in and tensioned up just fine. The car was driven all day yesterday, and we haven't had any issues thus far. :thumb:

Well, I verified the info in the post above, and it is correct. I hardwired a 1G alternator in Sewey's 99 GSX this weekend using the middle two wires from the 2G harness. The alternator dropped right in and tensioned up just fine. The car was driven all day yesterday, and we haven't had any issues thus far. :thumb:

Ok so let me see if I can see this right.

On a 2g car you can use a 1g alter. Just as long as you have the harness? It'll bolt up with no modification? Also with the wiring, on the 1g theres two wires and the 2g theres 4. The outer 2 I dont need to use but the middle two wires I do. Thus I have to have a 1g harness splice the 2g wires and connect it to the 1g harness?. Correct?

Ok so let me see if I can see this right.

On a 2g car you can use a 1g alter. Just as long as you have the harness? It'll bolt up with no modification?
Yes, correct.
Also with the wiring, on the 1g theres two wires and the 2g theres 4. The outer 2 I dont need to use but the middle two wires I do.
Yes, correct.
Thus I have to have a 1g harness splice the 2g wires and connect it to the 1g harness?. Correct?
Yup, you got it. :thumb:

I just did the opposite. I parted out a 2g and had the alternator laying around. So, when my 1g's alt bit the dust I just popped the 2g alt in there and headed to the junkyard for the 2g plug. I ended up getting the plug off of a 97 Galant. I soldered the two wires from my harness to the two wires in the center of the 2g's plug and it works just fine. Of course you have to make sure they are in the correct position and all. Constant 13.5V

Yeah, it should, as my 2G alternator fit right on my Japanese six-bolt.

that would have nothing to do with if it you work or not. Sure it bolt on, but then again any of the 4g63 alternators will bolt on any six bolt or 7 bolt motor. But in order for it to work all that electric that it is making has to go somewhere and if we don 't have the right plug then were screwed. They said 2g were 4 wire while 1g where 2? That causes a problem we need to find out what each wire is for and we can go form there.

I have a questions about the 2g harness. You said the two extra wire are for a control module and we don't need them? What where there jobs? Im just curious cause all that means that something isn't getting power now

I have a questions about the 2g harness. You said the two extra wire are for a control module and we don't need them? What where there jobs? Im just curious cause all that means that something isn't getting power now

What the 2G turbos have according to the TRM is the ability to drop the output to 12.3v to reduce the load on the engine for emissions. There are two additional signals on the 2G alternator FR and G. FR is an output and can be ignored. The G terminal is a input to the regulator and largely turns off the alternator when grounded so if you let it float (disconnected) it should work like a 1G alternator.

its weird though..I get 13.4ish when start up then drops to 12 volts and up but below 13

You sure you have a good alternator? If I saw that on a 1G I'd replace it.

I did this today as well and checked out fine. :D

I am doing this today as well. Thanks for the info everyone. I will be installing a 1g altinator, I have 4 or 5 laying around, into my '98 GSX. I get a good altinator in the car at no cost. Cant beat that!

just have one question. my 2g eclipse has the two wires in the middle that are colors red and black, and the alternator just has a big red one, and a small green cable. do i connect the red to the red and black to green?
thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back