Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Handling Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Handling Tech: 4G63 suspension, steering, brakes, tires, lightweight wheels, bushings, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2003, 09:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 175
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to Smoothie97
Angry

Tokico Illumina adjustment broke!

Grrrr...just had my Tokico illuminas and springs installed. Anybody notice how cheap the adjustment screw is? Mine are made out of plastic! So as I was trying to adjust the rear one, it broke off and now its permanently stuck on 5! The ride sucks. I can't turn the adjustment anymore because its all grounded up and broken. Why didn't Tokico make this fitting out of iron or steel??

I noticed that when I try to adjust it, the fitting turned but when I let go, it seemed to torque back to its roginal postion. I could turn it maybe 45 deg but then it wouldn't snap into place like it should. It just torqued itself back to its setting of 5?? Do I have a defective one? What's the procedure to get a new one? I know Tokico has a liftetime warranty.

I was adjusting the other ones and they almost broke too. I got 3 up front, and a 3 and a 5 in the back now. This sucks.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 169
Photos: 9
Classifieds Rating: 0
Did you press down then turn the adjuster? I have AGX shocks and i know the adjuster will break and be hard to turn if you dont press it in first. My friend just got illuminas put on and was trying to adjust them today and it looked like it was really hard to turn so i told him to push it in. Maybe thats your problem or they are defective.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

I have noticed that pressing down does make it turn a little easier. I think I tried that on the one I broke too.

I can't believe this. I hadn't even driven the car. My first time adjusting it and it just breaks off. It's made out of plastic! It didn't snap away either. It was more of a grinding away. Kinda like when you install a stereo dash kit you gotta bend those unnecessary tabs and then just twist them off.

If I can't fix it then I guess I'll change my rear to have 5. But from what I can tell, 5 is way too harsh.

How about 1 up front and 5 in the back for just a pure daily driver??

Old 07-22-2003, 09:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 828
Photos: 14
I had the same thing happen to me about 4 years ago on my Honda Delsol. I cant beleive they haven't improved them at all.

I called Tokico up and they sent me new ones for free.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:56 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 90AWDTalon
I had the same thing happen to me about 4 years ago on my Honda Delsol. I cant beleive they haven't improved them at all.

I called Tokico up and they sent me new ones for free.

Cool. I'll call them tomorrow. I hope they don't require for me to send them the broken shock. Because I only have one car. I cannot take out the old one, ship it, then wait for a new one. Once I receive the new one, I'd be glad to send them the piece of crap one that I got!