The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

68hta auto stroker

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autotalon

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 24, 2006
Vancouver, BC_Canada
I have the car mostly done now. Just in time for winter! yay! :(

Made 364/299. :thumb: The turbo is maxed out at this point. spiked to 31 and fell to 24 @ peak power. pull was done in 3rd gear. didn't make anymore power when the boost was increased. pump gas 94 and meth. corrected numbers were 417/342 :D

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I think I can gain more with bigger cams, but I don't want to give up the brake torque ability. There are a set of fp3x's and Delta grind kelford 272's nearby that have me tempted. here is a link to my current cams. 1-TX264 Camshaft Set - EVO 1-3 4G63 VR4 - Kelford Cams

which cams should I choose of these two? Or stick with what I got?

I will be doing a few more things to try to get a little more out of it and will update this when those are done. :cool:

I would try the FP-3s since they are stroker cams ...No way on the Kelfords if you want to keep low end and vacuum ...

fp3 is too radical for that small turbo as well.
I tried some GSC 280 cams in a 2.3/20g setup and hated it. killed a tonne of bottom end. settled on fp2 cams for best balanced powerband

and graph lookls really good to me. pulls real nice to 7500. no need to rev that high with the auto.

Hes already running a stroker with HTA68...I think he wants radical:), plus Ive been dieing to see them with an auto..

I dont think they are radical at all. Compare the specs from mine to the fp3x's. The lift is the same and mine have 4* more duration.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/00000001/data/1013FP_FPCam3x.pdf

Since the turbo is maxed out there is not likely to be any significant gains. I will probably hold out on getting these. My goal was to get a 10.9 pass @ 125 with this turbo. I want to drive the car for a while first, then I may just go to a 76HTA.

I will be going back on the dyno with a few changes soon. bigger FMIC, (was getting 130-140 IAT's at the top af 3rd) 4"intake pipe with 6" velocity stack, and rotate the comp housing to a downfire set up.

big cams usually do work very well with strokers but you have to keep in mind 95% of stroker market is playing with large turbos that have very little exhaust backpressure . small turbos produce lots of backpressure. low rpm can really suffer as too much exhaust backs up during overlap. cams are very setup specific. its certainly not bigger is better all the time. especially when you are trying to spool converter up. you need a smallish intake cam if you want to spool your turbo early. many are using stock intake or 264 mated with 272 or better exhuast cam.

and you cant really tell anything from cam card numbers. thats only usefull when selecting cams from same grinder. duration numbers tell you nothing about the shape of lobe when valve is actually open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back