The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g GST stock shortblock - goes back to the dyno

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbodsm18

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 26, 2005
816/417, Missouri
First off...I have to give a HUGE thanks to the people that helped me out today.

Will Hatcher(Need2Boostpsi) on here, he has done all the tuning for the car and has spent tons of time on the tune making this thing run perfect.

Nick and Steve over at Taliaferro Imports, Inc. ...Thanks for being up at the shop today to make this happen.

I had an opportunity today to put the car back on the dyno. Last time on the dyno, I made 570whp and 425 ft/lbs on 27 psi boost...

Quick list of mods:

Stock 6 bolt shortblock - roughly 113K miles
unported 1g head
Holset HX-40 .70ar t3
JMF Drag manifold
SSAC front mount

First pull netted 574 whp. This was coming right off the street on a quick tune from the night before. It was showing really rich. Adjustments were made.

Second pull the car made 598whp with no changes other than the tune. This was at 30 psi. Decided to turn the boost up a little.

Third pull - Cant remember details but it made 612whp

Fourth pull the car made 638whp at 34 psi spiking and falling to 31. Turned the boost up a bit more.

Fifth and final pull the car made 656whp and 527ft/lbs torque spiking 36 psi and falling to 32 psi. This was at 21 degrees peak timing and 12:4-12:5 Afr's

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I decided to call it quits here cause my axle boot on the passenger side had split spraying grease everywhere and I know Im approaching the limits of this shortblock.

I go back to the track on the 16th, best pass on the old numbers was a 10.89 @ 131, hoping to go a little quicker this time around.

Video is being made now and will be uploaded shortly.

Also, Does anybody know what the stock 6 bolt shortblock official record is???

-Kevin-

Last edited:

Old pic....I run a JMF drag intake manifold now though....But everything else is the same....oh my nos bottle catchcan is now a vitamin water bottle now...:hellyeah:

Also, just a note....The car made peak power after boost had fallen off and settle to 32psi....If I can get it to not spike, I will take it up more....

-Kevin-

That's crazy to do on a stock 6 bolt shortblock. Congrats on the numbers. Not sure what the record is for hp on a stock block but the most I've seen before this was 601whp.

awesome power on the stock block/that turbo! I think a bigger exhaust housing would make a huge difference.

He went 10.7@138mph this past weekend. :thumb: Not bad for a stock 6-bolt block.

Very nice, i still think that dyno is a bit of a high reader i would expect a fwd car thats light to trap over 140 with that hp it seems alot closer to 600 with that trap.

I figure your full weight 1g awd trapping 138-139 around 630-650.

Sounds beautiful! what kind of dyno was used? And are these numbers uncorrected?

Sounds beautiful! what kind of dyno was used? And are these numbers uncorrected?

The dyno is a Superflow Inertia dyno. Normally, their numbers are STP corrected. Uncorrected may drop it maybe 10-15whp max. I am not sure about Kevin's numbers since I wasn't there when he dyno'd but I am very familiar with this dyno and how the owners operate it. My guess would be his numbers are STP corrected but who cares? Car has gone almost 140mph on the stock SB right? Congrats Kevin! :thumb:

Old pic....I run a JMF drag intake manifold now though....But everything else is the same....oh my nos bottle catchcan is now a vitamin water bottle now...:hellyeah:

Also, just a note....The car made peak power after boost had fallen off and settle to 32psi....If I can get it to not spike, I will take it up more....

-Kevin-

in the picture is that a old school JMF sheet metal manifold ??

Damn impressive! I was thinking the curve looked a little too good for stock cams LOL but still very nice numbers. More and more i've been thinkinn about SMIM's and finishing mine (built them for others on hondas and such but haven't had the time or drive to swap it out if it was finished to i've been takin my time)

But i'm really wondering what going back to a stock 1g IM, would do to that curve, My car has a built bottom end, but stock head with 264/272 and BC valve train, and i've about maxed out what i think i can pull from the old 57 trim on my current setup (made 438 which i consider impressive for as beat up as the comopressor wheel is), but fighting for dissability since i can't get hired being in the shape i am, and working on other's cars and bikes for the money I do have, just isn't lettting me afford a new turbo anytime soon, but the SMIM is something i have already built the plenum to about 85% and have just machined the flange and i keep going back and forth about wether or nto it's even worth swapping out if i do fininsh it (would hate to loose more low end and then only pick up less than 10hp)

Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but overall, how much you think the SMIM's were doing for your power curve?

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back