The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Dynoed the car 832AWHP E85

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnTSI

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 1, 2003
Wilmington, North_Carolina
Finally got the car on the dyno today, found the limits of e85 on my setup. Car made 832awhp 567tq at 38-39psi and 13* of timing peak. Air fuel in the mid to high 11s, we will go back and try again on e98 and if needed VP import. Should have more room to grow with more octane. I do think I need a larger turbine housing and may swap the compressors from this 74mm to a billet 76mm.

Can't thank the guys at National speed enough for staying late to let me use the dyno.

Hitting the track next weekend to see if I can keep the rest of the drivetrain in the car.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Great #s on E85. What are you tuning with? E98 is a more stable fuel & should get you up to ~100 whp. Still cheaper than VP Import. We stopped our race car @ 1k whp on E98. It has more left in it but need to collect data before going higher. This video was @ 900 whp.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rltHMX0Wul8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rltHMX0Wul8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

^ Good to know I won't have to fork out for AEM.

Went back to the dyno on e98 first pull with less boost (1.5-2psi less) made 812. Next pass little more timing (1-2*) 39psi 864hp. Next pull didn't turn the controller enough boost was .4-.6 higher, same HP but pulled to 9700, boost fell and af fell past 9, need to tune it there. Bad news is it appears oil pump was on its way out, pushed oil out past the shaft seal. Took tomorrow off, will replace it and hit the rollers again. Car spooled faster this trip on the e98, unfortunately could not get a good tach signal and have no torque numbers.

Dyno sheet is on the work computer will post it tomorrow, hopefully more power tomorrow.

Dyno chart, hopefully will have another go at it tomorrow!

im doing a setup similar to your setup only difference is ill be using a bw372r,manley rods and its going to be auto ...im hoping to get 800awhp .....great car man i wanna see your track times

Every time I come in here, you guys confirm my suspicion that you're all nuts!

There's no need for us to tell you how awesome those numbers are. Good luck at the dyno today!

Went back again and made 888/611 car picked up knock on this run, pulled 2* hence the dip but recovered. Cleaned it up on the next pull but ran into another issue I have to work out. I am done with the dyno for a while now.

Have you thought of rich knock?? Making that much power and pushing that much ethonal could cause rich knock and or preignition. Most guys run mid 12's when your in the mid 11's which is pretty damn rich on e85. Even on my low HP setup mid 11's could give me some knock issues. Now running 12.5 afr's she is alive and loving it.

Again, very impressive HP numbers. I wonder what would happen with leaner AFR's and more aggressive timing. I would be scared to add much more at those power levels but on these lower HP setups they love way more timing on e85.

Its not rich knock, its gone now with some tweaking, it came in at peak tq.

We have moved af around on several different setups and E, I will lean it out to abut 11.8-11.9 across the board and then be done.

Timing curves on a car making 600hp and a car making nearly 900 are not going to look the same. For instance we run about 6 more * on the other cars here making 600-650. Cams, boost, cylinder heads, all make a difference in how much timing the car likes.

Cant wait to see some track videos also...Id like to see how long it takes for a straight cut, or auto will go into this car. Sucker will be fast!

Its not rich knock, its gone now with some tweaking, it came in at peak tq.

We have moved af around on several different setups and E, I will lean it out to abut 11.8-11.9 across the board and then be done.

Timing curves on a car making 600hp and a car making nearly 900 are not going to look the same. For instance we run about 6 more * on the other cars here making 600-650. Cams, boost, cylinder heads, all make a difference in how much timing the car likes.

That makes a lot of sense. I couldnt even imagine tuning a car making that much power. I would be so scared to add 1* a timing or to even lean it out a little.

Wow awesome numbers, especially considering the really low timing. :hellyeah:

I'd run E98 closer to 10.8 AF/R (gas scale) on a FI vehicle, high 11's could be considered a tad lean for a FI gas engine let alone E98.

I know you're not going back to the dyno, but I'd start around 10.5 AF/R and see how the power responds as you get leaner to find your safe, yet peak power AF/R.

Wow awesome numbers, especially considering the really low timing. :hellyeah:

I'd run E98 closer to 10.8 AF/R (gas scale) on a FI vehicle, high 11's could be considered a tad lean for a FI gas engine let alone E98.

I know you're not going back to the dyno, but I'd start around 10.5 AF/R and see how the power responds as you get leaner to find your safe, yet peak power AF/R.

Either you are thinking of pump gas or you are in complete bliss of ignorance. I've gone so lean that i have burnt the like 10 plug tips on cyl 1 because of fuel starvation. E85 is an amazing fuel and I believe he has a clue on what he is doing.

Great numbers! Now let's get that queen to the track!

Either you are thinking of pump gas or you are in complete bliss of ignorance. I've gone so lean that i have burnt the like 10 plug tips on cyl 1 because of fuel starvation. E85 is an amazing fuel and I believe he has a clue on what he is doing.

Great numbers! Now let's get that queen to the track!

Agreed

Hey Standard235, I have two cars on E85, both over 500hp, how many you have?

One of mine doesn't run an intercooler and uses 30gph of Meth, I think I know a thing or two about tuning Ethanol and how to make power.

Why don't you go look up a fuel chart on E85 before you run your mouth, then see what E98 looks like on that chart for max Torque. Keep running it lean homie.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back