The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Dyno tune now and update later, or hold off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBeans

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2009
I am in, Rhode_Island
I have an FP3052 Talon with a fully built motor and all the supporting mods needed. The car has a port matched stock intake manifold, and a ported 2g exhaust mani.

I want to pick up an FP race mani and a JM fabrications race SMIM. Also want to add methanol injection later on.

Car is not daily driven, so its not a big deal if it sits around for awhile, until i have money to do everything.

A reputable dyno shop in the area wants $400-$600 to tune the car. I could spend the money for the tune now, and have it updated later, or i could wait a few months until i have enough extra money to do it all at once.

I'm not sure what it would cost to update the tune later, but i'm sure it would be a lot cheaper than the initial tune, so it really wouldnt be a $600 loss.

Should i be patient and let the car sit for awhile, or tune now and update later?
Anything i'm missing here?

Thanks, Matt

I have an FP3052 Talon with a fully built motor and all the supporting mods needed. The car has a port matched stock intake manifold, and a ported 2g exhaust mani.

I want to pick up an FP race mani and a JM fabrications race SMIM. Also want to add methanol injection later on.

Car is not daily driven, so its not a big deal if it sits around for awhile, until i have money to do everything.

A reputable dyno shop in the area wants $400-$600 to tune the car. I could spend the money for the tune now, and have it updated later, or i could wait a few months until i have enough extra money to do it all at once.

I'm not sure what it would cost to update the tune later, but i'm sure it would be a lot cheaper than the initial tune, so it really wouldnt be a $600 loss.

Should i be patient and let the car sit for awhile, or tune now and update later?
Anything i'm missing here?

Thanks, Matt

Frankly 400 to 600 to tune is crazy!!!! Most shop charge 150/hr and most of our cars can be tune within one hour. Just dyno the car and get some before update numbers that a way you can determine what kind of improvement the upgrade made. Just my $.02:D

They charge $200/hr, which is a decent price for one of the better shops around here. Thats with boost logging and A/F logging included.

They don't charge until the car is strapped down and running, and billing stops when the last pull is complete.

Compared to the billing policies of other shops I've looked into, theirs is very competitive. Other, less reputable shops are charging more.

They quoted me 2 hours for the tune if they have no probs with the car (boost leaks and crap). The system has been pressure tested and i know all is well, so i'm not anticipating any issues.

Maybe they quote high just to make sure there are no surprises when the bill comes?

edit: just ordered the FP manifold, which i'll install friday. Might dyno monday
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back