The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

New best! 444awhp/398tq.!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonySlave

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 24, 2004
Pasadena, Maryland
So I made 405hp/372tq back in February at Drift Office at 25psi with the 3065 with these mods:

2.0L 8.5:1 JE/Eagle 1G 7-bolt
HKS 264s
FP3065 w/ Dumped Tial 40 & Unported Evo 3 Manifold
Stock 1G TB & Intake Manifold
FIC 1600s w/ Single Re-Wired Walbro 255HP
Kinetic FMIC w/ ETS Pipes
DSMLink v2 w/ MAF-T
Apex'i N1 Turbo-back
ACT 2900 w/ Sprung 6-puck
Hallman MBC @ 25psi

Here was the dyno sheet:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

When I ran that 405hp last time, I was running a tiny 3" intake pipe on the car. There was an Evo guy on EvoM running a GT3582R with the 4" S cover that was also running a 3" intake pipe like I did. After he switched to a full 4" intake pipe he gained 50hp. So we took his idea and took the little 3" intake pipe off and ran mine open turbo. I'm extremely impressed with the gain by just removing the intake!

The car made 444hp/398tq with the same tune at 25psi. The only mod that was different was the addition of the PTT twin-disk clutch and taking the 3" intake off!! That's a 39hp difference!!!

Here is the new dyno sheet:

My plan for the near future is to leave the boost at 25psi, leave the tune alone, and add a set of FP4R cams with Kiggly beehives, a JMF Race SMIM, and a full 4" intake into the fender. We'll see what kind of power we'll make then!

I know that I'm not making Curt Brown kind of power on the 3065 with E85 but DAMN IT I'M HAPPY!!! :D

Yes this is a daily driver for me currently. It's not the most comfortable car, but it's freaking fast! :hellyeah:

Thanks Jeff!

Unfortunately, as usual, I wasn't logging the car while it was on the dyno. :ohdamn: Unless Lucas was logging?

The dyno day wasn't really for tunes this weekend, more for just a ton of baselines. I wish I had logged them though... :toobad:

Pics:

Thats awesome man, funny how your intake made such a huge difference. That is an area most people overlook when trying to make power.

Nice numbers man. I thought 3065's produced more power at that boost level ?

Wow! What a difference with out the intake pipe:rocks: Nice numbers
How much timing are you running and what type of a/f are you tuning for?

Are you still running the Apexi resonator that came with your N1 system? If so I'd drop the exhaust to have a look at it internally. My old N1 system necked down to like 2" or slightly less inside the resonator. When I went with my custom 3", stock looking system, I picked up 4-5 lb/min once I reduced my boost back down to the same level. I also picked up 40-50 hp/ft/lbs @ 7000rpms when comparing DSMLink logs under the same test conditions. The uptop gains were huge once I switched to true 3" resonators....

Are you still running the Apexi resonator that came with your N1 system? If so I'd drop the exhaust to have a look at it internally. My old N1 system necked down to like 2" or slightly less inside the resonator. When I went with my custom 3", stock looking system, I picked up 4-5 lb/min once I reduced my boost back down to the same level. I also picked up 40-50 hp/ft/lbs @ 7000rpms when comparing DSMLink logs under the same test conditions. The uptop gains were huge once I switched to true 3" resonators....

Interesting, i have a pretty old N1 system, which has two resonators and the muffler

Nice numbers man. I thought 3065's produced more power at that boost level ?

They can. As I said, I'm not running Curt Brown numbers with this thing right now. My car has never really ever made the kind of power that others have made with similar setups. To give my car some credit, it has baby HKS 264 cams, stock valvetrain, and is still using the stock 1G intake manifold and throttle body, so you can see the power falling off up top. I think with a larger set of cams, the gains would be significant, and add a SMIM to that, I don't see why 500hp isn't possible. We'll see later this season!

Wow! What a difference with out the intake pipe:rocks: Nice numbers
How much timing are you running and what type of a/f are you tuning for?

Since the car is on E85 I tune the AFRs to hover right around 12.0. They were back and forth between 11.8-12.2 during the runs. Timing is in the 21-22* range in the upper RPMs. Don't remember the timing at peak torque. Unfortunately the stack for the dyno wasn't working properly, so we weren't able to graph boost or AFR and I, being stupid, wasn't logging during the runs... :ohdamn:

daren_p said:

The Apex'i N1 exhaust I have is totally unmodified. It's the complete turbo-back system (cat-delete downpipe and cat-back). That information is good to know. May just have to upgrade down the road...

They can. As I said, I'm not running Curt Brown numbers with this thing right now. My car has never really ever made the kind of power that others have made with similar setups. To give my car some credit, it has baby HKS 264 cams, stock valvetrain, and is still using the stock 1G intake manifold and throttle body, so you can see the power falling off up top. I think with a larger set of cams, the gains would be significant, and add a SMIM to that, I don't see why 500hp isn't possible. We'll see later this season!

I could see a major increase of hp with larger cams and a new SMIM. That would be sick. Nice numbers too :thumb:
What tranny do you have in that thing? And are you leaving the 3" intake off when your normally driving now? Or are you just going to take it off when you go to the track?

I could see a major increase of hp with larger cams and a new SMIM. That would be sick. Nice numbers too :thumb:
What tranny do you have in that thing? And are you leaving the 3" intake off when your normally driving now? Or are you just going to take it off when you go to the track?

Thanks for the kind words!

The car blew up the center diff in the original stock tranny last month at the track. It currently has a used 1990 tranny and transfer case that my friend had laying around. It's going to stay this way until I can afford a nice English Racing tranny with double synchros, etc... The PTT twin-disk was put in at the same time the '90 tranny got put in. I always leave the 3" intake pipe on it while I daily drive to keep crap out of the turbo, but take it off at the track and obviously the dyno. I'll get a 4" intake built eventually, but taking it off works for now. ;)

Thanks for the kind words!

The car blew up the center diff in the original stock tranny last month at the track. It currently has a used 1990 tranny and transfer case that my friend had laying around. It's going to stay this way until I can afford a nice English Racing tranny with double synchros, etc... The PTT twin-disk was put in at the same time the '90 tranny got put in. I always leave the 3" intake pipe on it while I daily drive to keep crap out of the turbo, but take it off at the track and obviously the dyno. I'll get a 4" intake built eventually, but taking it off works for now. ;)

Oh man, the tranny blew up! Well, good luck with whatever you do :thumb:
Keep us updated!

I know that these logs aren't from the dyno run, but I just took these logs today so that you guys could look at them. The first two are 3rd gear pulls and the third one is a 2nd-3rd pull. This is with the 3" intake pipe ON the car.

I am using the DSMLink v3 software with the v2 hardware FYI.

Attachments

• log.2009.04.14-01.elg
    4 KB · Views: 106
  • log.2009.04.14-03.elg
    5.4 KB · Views: 96
  • log.2009.04.14-02.elg
    3.9 KB · Views: 87
Wow, 40 horses gained like that. Nice.
P.S.Some ricers might get the wrong idea

Very nice numbers, you're where i'm aiming to be at this summer on my setup, but money is too tight to make gains right now. How does the car idle?

Wow, 40 horses gained like that. Nice.
P.S.Some ricers might get the wrong idea
No doubt that some newb will stumble on this, then selectively only remember that "no intake pipe makes 40 - 50 more horses" and the new wave of blown engines and mal-informed kids fill our junkyards with even less usable DSM parts LOL LOL

Very nice numbers, you're where i'm aiming to be at this summer on my setup, but money is too tight to make gains right now. How does the car idle?

No doubt that some newb will stumble on this, then selectively only remember that "no intake pipe makes 40 - 50 more horses" and the new wave of blown engines and mal-informed kids fill our junkyards with even less usable DSM parts LOL LOL

The car idles pretty well. These are the most lumpy HKS 264s I've ever heard of. ROFL I had the idle at 1000rpms before the PTT install and it was perfect. After I installed the PTT, the idle went to crap. The idle is at 1100rpm now and idles 95% of the time. The clutch is so lightweight that it occasionally dies out of nowhere or has issues catching the rpms when you push in the clutch.

It's good. :rocks:

Pics:

ever think about a 2.3 stroker? $1700 shipped,i understand u already did internal work,justa thought i guess, but ## smart its probly something u have already thought of. just thougth id give my 2cents:thumb::aha:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back