Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Drivetrain Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Drivetrain Tech: 4G63 transmission, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, differentials, transfer case, shifter, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 407
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 7

Clutch drag won't go away.

Alright, I'm pretty much spent on everything I know to try, but maybe I also misunderstand clutch drag a bit as well.

Is any amount of clutch drag acceptable? Should the car NEVER move when revved up that high with the clutch on the floor?

I rev the car to right about 7,000 and the car ever so creeps for a moment.

I have a brand new Shep pedal assembly, literally brand new OEM Slave, Master, Fulcrum Ball, Fork, and TOB. A hard clutch line from master to slave, and the restrictor removed from the slave. I'm running an SB 2700 PP & TZ/B Disc and a brand new XACT Flywheel.

I've adjusted the clutch pedal more times than I can count, bled the clutch and slave numerous times and it never seems to go away. The car shifts fine at 8000, but I'm just concerned with burning up the synchros.

My built trans will be going in the car soon and I want to ensure that everything is right before I put it in.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I don't really know what else to do.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 50
Classifieds Rating: 0
I had the same problem. if you watch the jacks transmission youtube video on dsm clutch pedal adjustment it will be easy.

Just have a friend be inside the car and turn the clutch rod clockwise one turn at a time. at the same time you should be under the car pushing slave cylinder lever with your hand. once your friend turns the rod and you can not push the lever in with your hand. Have your friend turn the rod counter clockwise a half turn so that you can push the slave cylinder with your hand. when you can then have him tighten the 14 mm nut in place. then your clutch will be adjusted properly.

When this is done your car will not creep up when you rev the car up to 7000 rpms and you will not get clutch drag any more.

Call me with any other questions my name is clayton 469-744-4346

Old 11-24-2012, 02:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 69
Classifieds Rating: 17
You can watch the video that jafromobile has on his youtube chanel.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstgsx View Post
I had the same problem. if you watch the jacks transmission youtube video on dsm clutch pedal adjustment it will be easy.

Just have a friend be inside the car and turn the clutch rod clockwise one turn at a time. at the same time you should be under the car pushing slave cylinder lever with your hand. once your friend turns the rod and you can not push the lever in with your hand. Have your friend turn the rod counter clockwise a half turn so that you can push the slave cylinder with your hand. when you can then have him tighten the 14 mm nut in place. then your clutch will be adjusted properly.

When this is done your car will not creep up when you rev the car up to 7000 rpms and you will not get clutch drag any more.

Call me with any other questions my name is clayton 469-744-4346
Thanks, I may give you a call. I have watched Jacks adjustment video. No matter how far clockwise I turn the rod I can always push the slave rod in by hand, even when the rod is so far out that it's about to come loose from the end on the pedal. Also, at the moment the threads of the rod are flush with pedal end.

I have a brand new OEM master, so I'm sure its good. And I can't possibly see my Shep pedal assembly being bad either, but I suppose anything is possible. I just can't seem to shake this problem and I'm quite concerned.

Last edited by EclipseOwner95; 11-25-2012 at 05:44 PM.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Car: 1G Awd
Tech Posts: 2,156
Photos: 9
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 29
Reputation: MY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthyMY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthyMY1GDSM is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Did you by Chance check your Flywheel step even though it's a new Flywheel?

Remote Tuning, Ecu Flashing and Custom Chip Services
MY1GDSM@Tuningservices.net
Visit MY1GDSM's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1GDSM View Post
Did you by Chance check your Flywheel step even though it's a new Flywheel?
No I did not, I assumed that ACT made quality enough of a product to have the step correct. I'm going to pull the trans this weekend and look over everything and have the step checked as well.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2005 EVO mr w/mivec swap
Tech Posts: 643
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: born2tune is pretty helpful and trustworthyborn2tune is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via MSN to born2tune Send a message via Yahoo to born2tune
the flywheel may need to be stepped, also an improperly installed clutch may cause engagement and disengagement issues. last but not least the main shaft may be bent. this happened to some 03' evo's from factory.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Well, we can rule out improper clutch installation. I assure you it was done properly. You can also probably rule out a bent input shaft as well, unless Iím the unlucky bastard who has 2 transmissions with bent input shafts. (Problem remained on 2 different trans)

Flywheel step is certainly a possibility, Iím going to try a new slave, a new clutch line, remove the shim from the pivot ball (My fork is closer to the engine than I think it should be) and have the flywheel step checked out. Other than that Iím buying a PTT if I still have problems haha