Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Cylinder Head & Short Block: 4G63 cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, 6-bolt swaps, hybrids, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 09:00 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 867
Photos: 45
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to matt98eclipse
2G-specific

low compression on all 4 cylinders

Hey guys i just purchased a 95 gsx. Previous owner said that he had bought a brand new motor and car doesnt have that many miles on it. Well when i bought the car it he told me the motor was smoking a bit due to a bad turbo he said. Well i put on a known good 14b turbo and fired car up and noticed the car is still smokeing a bit.... Car seems to smoke more as it get warmer. The smoke color looks to be blue like its burning oil someone.. So i did a compression test and on all 4 cylinders and it came up with between 135 to 140 on ALL 4 cylinders.

What do you guys think my next step would be to do to pinpoint my problem?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,218
Classifieds Rating: 10
Reputation: RadDsm is pretty helpful and trustworthyRadDsm is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt98eclipse View Post
What do you guys think my next step would be to do to pinpoint my problem?
Assuming the compression test was done right (WOT and the engine up to temp), a leak down test is your next step.

Did you do a dry and wet test?

How to do Cylinder Leak Down Testing- Car Craft Magazine

Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

I did the test with motor at operating temp and WOT and makin sure its not getting any spark or feel.

I havent done a leak down test yet cause i dont have one.

I did a dry test first then on cylinder 1 i went ahead and added a cap full of 10w40 oil and compression only went up to around 150..

Car is smokeing pretty bad.. one thing i did noticed is i looked at the top of all 4 cylinders threw spark plug holse and noticed they looked a little wet but didnt smell or look like oil at all. Also i know the car used to run really rich cause previous owner forgot to plug in front o2 sensor and lots of boost leaks!!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,218
Classifieds Rating: 10
Reputation: RadDsm is pretty helpful and trustworthyRadDsm is pretty helpful and trustworthy
You can rent a tester from Autozone, or probably other parts stores.

It's probably either rings or valve seals, but your story leads more towards pistons rings.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 908
Photos: 59
Classifieds Rating: 34
Reputation: motozachl is pretty helpful and trustworthymotozachl is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Since the pressure went up from doing a wet compression test I'd say the rings. The service limit is 120psi
View photos of this member's car 

Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,946
Classifieds Rating: 19
Reputation: donniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening todonniekak is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Do a leakdown test to see where the pressure is going. With the story of the car running rich, i'm inclined to think rings. Washing down the cylinder walls on a new engine can lead to your type of problem. Or, the engine isn't new, and has bad valve stem seals. Or, the engine isn't new and has bad rings, could be a lot of things.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Hey donnie thanks man im gonna do a leak down test tomorrow or sometime this weekend and get back with you guys on the resaults.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 2,732
Photos: 26
Classifieds Rating: 4
Good advice up there. Running rich will wash out the cylinders even on a perfect engine build.

Another thing to check when compression is low on all cylinders (although I doubt it in this case), is that the timing marks all line up. Too much E/I overlap will cause low readings all the way around.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:00 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta448 View Post
Good advice up there. Running rich will wash out the cylinders even on a perfect engine build.

Another thing to check when compression is low on all cylinders (although I doubt it in this case), is that the timing marks all line up. Too much E/I overlap will cause low readings all the way around.
very good point ill have to check this as well but this wouldnt cause it to be smoking a bit would it??

The motor has a pretty bad lifter tick is sounds like.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 529
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to Gold–iamond
I've been searching as much as I can before I create my "Low Compression After Head Install" thread in order to cover all the bases or possibly fix before I post.

Have you solved this problem?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

I did not sorry. I ended up tradeing the car for a truck.