The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

valve seals>?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would get a full set of viton

the diffrence is the melt point of the "rubber" in the seal

+1

Just order a full set as the price is damn cheap and if you replace once, just replace them all. Make sure you put the exhaust seals on the exhaust side otherwise you may have some issues down the road.

Exhaust side is a high temperature compound while the intake side is not since it doesn't see the same heat. I wouldn't swap to full exhaust seals either.

I was going to buy the Ferrea ones from MAP but then I saw the ones on Ebay.

If they are both the blue viton, then what is the difference on brand?

Its not a big deal really but I am trying to save where I can but if they are that different I will get the more $ ones.

what color are the exhaust side ones supposed to be on the supertech valve seals? i just got my head back from a shop and the blue seals are on the exhaust side and the brown seals are on the intake side. is this correct or not? i was under the impression it was supposed to be the other way around.

The blue seals are the viton seals. Those are the ones you want on the exhaust side due to the exteme heat.

+1

Just order a full set as the price is damn cheap and if you replace once, just replace them all. Make sure you put the exhaust seals on the exhaust side otherwise you may have some issues down the road.

Exhaust side is a high temperature compound while the intake side is not since it doesn't see the same heat. I wouldn't swap to full exhaust seals either.

old thread, new post...

if the blue ones aren't good for the int+exh valve seals, which is the better [or best] combination?

Bogus goes for both blue for int+exh...

LiquidX goes for blue on the exh, and brown on int?

not trying to start a debate on which is best for what, ok...

just wanted to know why all blue was not a good combination.

thanks!

I am also curious about this. I have started to get a touch of smoke on my start ups for about 2-3 mins during warm up. When I do my timing belt in 2k miles I'm going to be doing the following;

Valve seals
Timing belt, pulleys, water pump
Install dks 264/264 cams
Adjustable cam gears
Holset H1c w bep housing and external gate off the o2
New 32x12x3 intercooler to replace the evo 8 setup on mine

If I'm going to be doing all this work I'm hoping to get it all done correctly and the most reliable. If its better to use both sets of viton then ill do that, if its mixed then that's fine too. I was going to order these yesterday and I'm glad I didn't to find out first.

Thanks all!

I also would like to know, I had a head rebuilt with gsc power division viton seals and they are all the same blue ones. The whole head is hot why couldn't the viton be used on intake

Most, if not all, of the blue Viton seals are made by US seal and everyone sells them under their own brand. Same same. The OE seals are made using different materials which is why the intakes differ from the exhaust. If you're using Viton seals then all 16 are the same.

The exhaust valve will be hotter than the intake valve, Cooler inlet charge, hotter exhaust leaving.

I still run the blue Vitions on both intake and exhaust. Not only on DSM heads, but a slew of others.

There is about a .10 cent price difference per seal in the price of "bulk" valve stem seals, where the Blue Vitions are more expensive.

So to increase profit margins, some will sell the 8 and 8 combo seal set up.

The exhaust valve will be hotter than the intake valve, Cooler inlet charge, hotter exhaust leaving.

I still run the blue Vitions on both intake and exhaust. Not only on DSM heads, but a slew of others.

There is about a .10 cent price difference per seal in the price of "bulk" valve stem seals, where the Blue Vitions are more expensive.

So to increase profit margins, some will sell the 8 and 8 combo seal set up.

so there you have it guys...

blue [viton] seals all the way it is for me then :hellyeah:

how about you :thumb:

Viton is all I buy when installing them on people's heads. I've noticed that with the Supertech seals I now receive all blue seals. At least for the set of 6g72TT heads I am currently working on. It just threw me off as I have become accustomed to having brown for the exhaust side and blue for the intake. It's not like it really matters however. It's just a change up.

GSC seems to be following suite now that I think about it.

Viton is all I buy when installing them on people's heads. I've noticed that with the Supertech seals I now receive all blue seals. At least for the set of 6g72TT heads I am currently working on. It just threw me off as I have become accustomed to having brown for the exhaust side and blue for the intake. It's not like it really matters however. It's just a change up.

GSC seems to be following suite now that I think about it.

You have it backwards, or they were packaged wrong

Blue vition has the highest temp rating, and always go on the exhaust side.

The temp rating difference can be as much as 300*

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back