The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil port mod #2 for the 4G63t

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusSVO

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
Oil port mod #2 for 4G63T
The head is a 2g head going on a 1g 6 Bolt short block.

This head has had oil port mod 1 done.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/341028-4g63t-head-oil-port-mod.html

The head bolt holes have been reamed for the 1g head studs. To prevent any issues with oiling issues in the head, I have reamed the bolt hole that is in the path of oil flow to .500 the bolt hole was .470 the ARP head stud being used is .465 Leaving only appox. .005 total or .0025 clearance on either side around the head stud. I feel the addition .030 will alleviates any problem with oil into the head.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

All ten head bolt holes need to be enlarged to .500

Last edited:
I think I understand this mod, but would the extra room around the head stud ever be a bad thing from a sealing standpoint? Like would that extra room allow for play in anything?

I am interested in these mods because although I have stock hydraulic lash adjusters, aka "lifters" they never ticked until I warped the head and had it shaved slightly, I am sort of surprised though as there wasn't much removed, it was just barely out of spec. Yet now it has a little tick every now and then at idle. I was just going to go with the revised lifters as it seems the simplest way of resolving the issue though and I likely still will but this is interesting.

I do not go all the way thu the bolt holr, just a bout .250 above where the oil galley starts.

with it being kept down to that point, I do not think there will be any issues with alignment since the other 9 head bolts are kept stock.

I would think you will end up wil oil issues, with out this mod, especially with the 1g 6 bolt block and the 2g head with head studs.

This is exactly what I was thinking about in the first oil port mod thread. :thumb: I'm sure this would also help significantly for anyone oiling the turbo from the head.

So, you cut to about 1/4" past the hole in this pic?

97149d1247289754-4g63t-head-oil-port-mod-head_stud.jpg

That leaves plenty of the hole stock size for alignment purposes.

yes, that is what I do.
But even if you go all the way through it would not matter, the alignment dowels is what will align the block/gasket /head.

and for sealing that hole for oil flow will be the head bolt washer, and the headbolt as well.

can i do this with a drill and bit and will it get ride of oil pressure. Mine is way to high and i ported the ofh and it did nothing.

I honestly can not say if it would lower your oil pressure or not. But it would stand to reason if you had this restriction to and in your head, that releiving it would cause tour pressure to drop some. How much I do not know.
You may want to put an oil pressure gauge on the corner of your head, left front or side, with cam gears to your right. and check. there is a 1/8npy oil gally pughs there that you can remove and tap your gauge into.

I would be intrested to find out what the pressures are before the mods and after.

I would be intrested to find out what the pressures are before the mods and after.

Me too. I am pulling the transmission out of the car now and will try and get some before readings. I am unable to idle the car at the moment because of a broken shift fork (stuck in 2nd). I'll try to get some readings from the oil filter housing and from the head.

Me too. I am pulling the transmission out of the car now and will try and get some before readings. I am unable to idle the car at the moment because of a broken shift fork (stuck in 2nd). I'll try to get some readings from the oil filter housing and from the head.

COOL!! that would be some good info to have!!

I am going to have this done when I drop my 2g head off to get the headbolt holes bored out for the 6 bolt block. Probably this week. I'll give the 1st mod a try as well

post to what size you had the head bolt reamed to.
and if you can take the time, an oil pressure reading on the corner of the head.

The last time I put a seven bolt head on a six bolt bottom end I just machined a little off the head stud for the oiling port. The other ones where put in one at a time.

The last time I put a seven bolt head on a six bolt bottom end I just machined a little off the head stud for the oiling port. The other ones where put in one at a time.

I would think machining the stud would weaken the stud some.

So when you enlarge the bolt holes for the 1g studs, do you buy a 12mm bit? I'm in the middle of doing this now and I can't find any info on what size bit to buy.

So when you enlarge the bolt holes for the 1g studs, do you buy a 12mm bit? I'm in the middle of doing this now and I can't find any info on what size bit to buy.

on the 1g heads I have measured the head bolt holes fall between .503-.510

I would recomend doing the holes in a drill press, or head shop, if you hand drill them, you may end up with the head bolt hole off center, dur to the bit walking.

Thanks for your reply! I drilled them out to just a hair under .500 due to a post Kiggly had written a while back.

The head went on smooth as silk.

I did however take in consideration to your theory about the oil to the head, so that was drilled out a bit larger.

cool, did you also do the other oil mod?

cool, did you also do the other oil mod?

Yep I did. I didn't go hog wild on it though, I just smoothed out the casting and put a nicer radius on the edge leading into the stud hole.

thats all it really needs.

(Oil Mod #2) <------------ do you think I should do this mod if I am using 6 bolt motor with the 6 bolt head? Or just do the oil MOD #1 since the head bolt size issue others have when using the 7 bolt head is not my issue... I just have lifter tick and the machine shop has the head. Also if you do suggest mod #2 how much bigger should the bolt hole be drilled, a 1/4 past the oil port.

(Oil Mod #2) <------------ do you think I should do this mod if I am using 6 bolt motor with the 6 bolt head? Or just do the oil MOD #1 since the head bolt size issue others have when using the 7 bolt head is not my issue... I just have lifter tick and the machine shop has the head. Also if you do suggest mod #2 how much bigger should the bolt hole be drilled, a 1/4 past the oil port.

I would just do #1 and buy new lifters.

He's using a ream and opening the size to .500 (1/2"). I would suggest doing both mods if it's already at a machine shop.

What about the actual hole in there that feads the head from the head bolt hole cavity:

Is there a way to get in there and just open that up a little? or would htat be a waste because the rest of the "piping" after that hole is about the same diameter?

What about the actual hole in there that feads the head from the head bolt hole cavity:

Is there a way to get in there and just open that up a little? or would htat be a waste because the rest of the "piping" after that hole is about the same diameter?

Matt that hole goes from one end of the head to the other. Its getting oil to that hole that dale is talking about here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back