Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Bolt-on Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Bolt-on Tech: 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2011, 07:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 202
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to amballer82822

ARP Headstuds??? Should I invest?

I just installed T28 Turbo with 750cc injectors planning on running around 19PSI? I heard the stock bolts are perfectly fine at 19 or 20 PSI, Just making sure and if you guys think I need to install them doesn anyone have a link to VFAQ's installing of them cause I cant seem to find it thanks!!

Visit amballer82822's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,447
Photos: 41
Classifieds Rating: 5
I would most definitely use ARP headstuds. There isn't a good VFAQ but check out these two threads as they have a lot of good info:

ARP Head Stud Install
Head Stud install help

Visit 9!'clipseDOHC's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Wow, he did it without the head off too defintly getting them, do you have any reccomendations of where or what ones I should get for like 19PSI?? I'm gonna try and do it just like that 1st link. Thanks though quick response, I want to order these now

I love STM. so would this be okay to get http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...63_evo_dsm.htm

Old 09-16-2011, 07:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Retired

Car: 2012 Genesis Coupe
Tech Posts: 4,260
Photos: 29
Classifieds Rating: 12
Reputation: LandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to LandoAWD
If you have a 6bolt and don't need to pull the head, don't.

If that's the stock 7bolt, ARPs are better than stock.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,447
Photos: 41
Classifieds Rating: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amballer82822 View Post
Wow, he did it without the head off too defintly getting them, do you have any reccomendations of where or what ones I should get for like 19PSI?? I'm gonna try and do it just like that 1st link. Thanks though quick response, I want to order these now
Just the standard 7-bolt ARP headstuds. I believe the part number is ARP 207-4203. ARP 7 bolt DSM Head Stud Kit : JNZ Tuning, ARP 207-4203 ARP Head Studs They also make an undercut head stud but from what I have read the standard set works best for our application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
I just talked to one of the tech guys today at ARP and he recommended just sticking with the non undercut studs. Reason being is that he said the undercut studs were initially made for the Ford, Chevy, etc... all aluminum block and heads. They are needed for keeping the head gaskets sealed during expansion and contraction. He said the undercut studs will work but they will not be as strong as the regular ones for my application. He also recommended not to torque the studs no more than 75 ft pds. with the supplied moly lube. I told him that I was planning on boosting up to 32 psi. He said if I was just boosting no more than 25psi than the undercut studs would be the way to go. Well anyways, I thought I let you guys know what I found out.

Gil
Which ARP head studs to buy?

*EDIT - The link you posted from STM is good, just make sure you specify the DSM 7-bolt head studs.

Visit 9!'clipseDOHC's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 09-16-2011, 10:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Thanks guys these head studs + STMS Afpr = Completed Big T28 Turbo setup = 320HP Dyno (I Hope )

Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,593
Photos: 1
Reputation: pboglio is extremely helpful and trustworthypboglio is extremely helpful and trustworthypboglio is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Upgraded head studs on 2g = good. I would seriously do them, especially if you like to run alot of timing like I do.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 316
Still looking into these. Im gna run about 19-20 psi on my 99 stock 7 bolt. Wondering if it will be a issue or if it can wait till i build up some more cash? If it cant I will tune at a lower boost level.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Retired

Reputation: LandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toLandoAWD is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
PSI is irrelevant without mention the turbo. You said "stock 7 bolt"...T25? If so, stock studs will be fine, and you should lower the boost as it's just blowing hot air at that level.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,575
Photos: 20
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 135
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoAWD View Post
stock bolts will be fine
Fixed

Throttle body rebuild kits

Old 02-15-2012, 08:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowborder714 View Post
Fixed
Doh. Don't neg rep me!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Well i figured since since the original thread was for a T28,I would just use this one instead of making a new one. So yes its a Big T28.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Retired

In that case, the question is already answered in this thread...

Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Would the stock one even hang in there for lil while? What would would be the max boost you would run on stock bolts.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 650
Photos: 2
Send a message via AIM to Cirus_93TSI
i would highly recommend changing over to arp head studs.
my first dsm was a 93 tsi 7 bolt with a stock 14b, and i stretched the stock head studs while driving on the highway, lifted the head slightly apart from the block, and blew all the oil and coolant out into the engine bay before the motor seized up.
chances are it was because i was running 18-19 psi on the stock sidemount and injectors (was my first dsm 10 years ago when i was 17 before i had any experience), but my point is it can happen, and its better to be safe then sorry when talking abut a low cost upgrade like arp studs.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

I contacted Road Race engineering and they told me something completely opposite of whats being said on here.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,301
Classifieds Rating: 29
Reputation: ed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthyed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
And.... what did they say?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Not Needed. Just getting some feedback on here. General Consensus Kinda thing.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Tech Posts: 1,783
Photos: 23
Classifieds Rating: 21
Reputation: agentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toagentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toagentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toagentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
I contacted Road Race engineering and they told me something completely opposite of whats being said on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Not Needed. Just getting some feedback on here. General Consensus Kinda thing.
I am also curious to hear what an experience DSM vendor and support has to say about ARP headstuds, especially if it contradicts what we have been saying. I would argue it is "needed", thats how you learn, sharing ideas and debating.

Emma: 96 XJ H.O.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,301
Classifieds Rating: 29
Reputation: ed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthyed1380 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
I think he means that RRE said that the studs aren't needed for those power levels. For $50 for a set of used studs, I would buy them rather than risking replacing a HG or worse.