The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

ARP Headstuds??? Should I invest?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well the reason I say it will never be larger than a T28 is that Im buying a MK4 supra in june.

I guess it really depends on if you want to go thru the trouble of taking the head off to install the studs (and yes, I know some people have switched them out without removing the head). If you don't, then don't bother.

After conversing back and forth with various big name si have determined that I will not be installing the studs for now. If anything happens i will post.

On a T28 with around 20psi & straight pump gas, no the stockers should be fine. Though, the reg ARP's aren't that expensive & it is nice insurance, especially if you plan to add meth &/or up the boost abit in the future, as you are getting close to the range when I'd switch to ARP's, as I like to be on the safe side.

I think im gna tune for 18 psi to be on the safe side. Then after i get the studs I will up the boost to the 20-21 area. The way it sounds All i need to change them is a torque wrench and breaker bar.

I think im gna tune for 18 psi to be on the safe side. Then after i get the studs I will up the boost to the 20-21 area. The way it sounds All i need to change them is a torque wrench and breaker bar.

If its fine at 18psi (ie your tune), it will be fine at 21. I've seen 24-25psi on an evoIII, without any issues (& some spikes higher). This is on straight pump, adding meth or running e85 will be different as you can get alot more aggressive with the tune (adding timing), which means lower boost levels.

Well after speaking with my tuner (Steve Kan) Im gna tune it rather conservative. Not going for all out power. So who knows I may just go for 20 psi tops. Hahn Big Smic is the limiting factor.

I have the same SMIC. I would not consider it to be your limiting factor. It's very efficient.

Compared to the stocker, yes, compared to a proper FMIC, no ;)

I ran the HRC SMIC years back as well. One pump 94 I was limited to ~18psi with a stock timing map. Obviously more boost could be run with reduced timing. A FMIC was a noticeable upgrade.

It's a perfect sized inter cooler for a Big T28. Anything bigger and it's time for a FMIC. The beauty of the big T28 is how fast it spools up. I wouldn't see the point of having wicked quick spool up and then dampening it down with a delayed reaction from pressure drop of FMIC. HRC SMIC has half a psi pressure drop.

I hear there efficient. I just didnt know how efficient the cores were. I know they make a ton of torque.

For the T28, your looking at about 400 rpm worth of lag increase going to an FMIC. For the labor and headaches that an FMIC poses, the HRC sidemount upgrade would be very attractive to somebody with a T28.

Agreed. It'll work well for any of the smaller turbos. I. E. 14B, 16G, T25 etc. I mean basically it has big 16G wheels in it right? I don't know that I'd be able to include the EVO III 16G as that one flows something like 30CFM more. I forget the spec right of the top of my head. I had planned on moving to a FP 68 HTA later on and if I do I'll make the jump to a FMIC. But I'll tell you this I will be going with as efficient as possible of a FMIC.

I run also run the Hahn SMIC with the FP BT-28 & i'm very happy with this set up & i also run ARP headstud's to be on the safe side.
numbers?

For the T28, your looking at about 400 rpm worth of lag increase going to an FMIC. For the labor and headaches that an FMIC poses, the HRC sidemount upgrade would be very attractive to somebody with a T28.
I like it..Its subtle and i trimmed my factory duct to make it fit. Plus, with a FMIC i would want to build a functional scoop just like the factory one up front to duct air into the rad and I/C.

I did build a functional scoop into it on my Talon. That can be seen in the pics for my other account Bmoha2
I have to admit I've been made fun of for running this "little" turbo. But it has proven itself over and over again.

Power? Enough to toast a ACT 2100. Enough to run 12.0 at the track. Ugh! I drove it like grampa! Nerves kinda got the better of me! Drove it from Madison to union grove after work. Only had time for one run. I drove it like I was scared to break it and have to get it towed all the way home. It is what it is.

I have an xtd 6 puck so im hoping that will hang in there just fine.

Update. So far no problems. Been running 21 psi and 93 octane on a pretty conservative timing map. Fmic was a big upgrade.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back