The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Wheel lock key broke, broken, lost, etc. [Merged 8-6] stud nut lug key

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxster02

Probationary Member
Aug 18, 2002
Orange_County_Ca
First Things First. I have a Gst with 18" enkei rs-6 rims with the 'reverse' style lugnuts to fit the tight quarters.

Recently I took my car in to get the new brake pads put in and realized i had lost the lug nut 'key'! The company said "no problem we can still get those off". So i get the car back, everything looks decent, brakes are fine, but there are DIFFERENT lug nuts on the front 2 rims! Anyway, company wont give me a key, and now i need a lug nut key for my old lugnuts ( http://www.whalentire.com/othergraphics/tunerlugs/tuner2.jpg ), and a different key for the front lugs ( I think i has 8 points).

Any and all help on where to get these 'keys' would be Greatly appreciated.

LOL! goodluck bro...ever try drilling a wheel stud out?? it's not too much fun...

Hey guys,

Im new to the boards, but I tried to run a search for this but nothing came up. I'd appreciate any help.

The problem is:
I got my brakes changed at American Tire/Brake, some reputable company i thought. Anyway, long story short I lost my Lug nut key to my wheel lock lugnuts, they broke them off in the front in order to change the brakes, and put on different pattern lug nuts. I currently have different lug nut types on the front and the back, because of that. The backs need a 6 point hexagon key, and the other i think needs different shape hexagon key (pattern is not the same, there are still 6 points but more of a round tooth is needed, as opposed to a blunt charp angel tooth) . The tuner rims make it very hard to get off (even breaking them)....so i assume i just need to buy keys for them.... Where can i get such keys? or How can i fix the problem?

Pick of the 'blunt' cut hexagon lug http://www.whalentire.com/othergraphics/tunerlugs/tuner2.jpg

Thanks

As for the keys I don't know....but if you can get at the lug, I use a chisel and just slam the #@%#@%#@%#@% out of it. It'll break.

I've had this problem a few times in the past. What worked for me was this:

1) Find an impact socket that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the lock. You want a tight fit, so select the socket small enough that you have to really pound the hell out of it to make it go on.

2) Pound the impact socket onto the lock.

3) Remove the lock with an impact wrench.

Doing this will basically destroy the socket, so I used to charge the customers to replace my socket. It does, however, work very well.

alright thanks guys...

so i guess i have to brake them off?

No place to buy a key?

Snap On amd Mac tools have a loocking lung nut remover. It has a reverse trend on it .
Work really well. I kind of like an easy out that you use for brokens screws. But ut goes around the out side of the locking lug nut,

i don't know how to explain it, but the wheel lock key broke. i was lossening it, then all of a sudden the lugnut key got seperated from the inside thingy of the lock. (sorry hard to explain LOL)

How much is one of these things going to cost me and where can I get another one? thanks guys

i believe if you take your car to a dealership they look at your lugs and will sell you a key that matches for about 25 bucks or so.

i dont think those are covered with your warranty. haha.

When I drove home to California this past June I forgot to bring my key. I went to a mitsu dealership and they told me to bring my car in and they said they would find a key for it. I never ended up buying one though.

if you are talking about the "key" that comes with aftermarket rims, just go to a wheel shop and they will sell you a tool that does the same thing (and is better!) for around 7-10 bucks. when i bought my giovannas, the guy didnt give me the key, so if places didnt do that i would not have rims.

i got mine at Tire Barn, i dont know if you have those though.

:dsm: jay

What are you talking about, I have the same wheels and I've taken them off without any key.

Wheel lock keys are sh*t.

When I got my rims put on, they put on the locks, gave me the key, and I drove off. A couple days later I took the rims off to paint my calipers, and when putting them back on the key cracked. They are cheap Taiwanese garbage!!!

Now, hopefully, when I get my rims take off for winter, the tire shop can get them all off without fully breaking the key. Eithere way, I have to buy new locks. PITA.

Friend of mine has those wheel locks and he lost the key. What we're gonna try is getting a 19mm (just a little too small to fit on) deep socket and jamming it on with a sledge hammer. Ruins the lug nut and the socket, but its cheaper than going to mitsubishi and buying a new one. Plus you get the satisfaction of hitting that #@%#@%#@%#@%#@% with a sledge hammer.:p

That's exactly what happened to my friend when he lost the key to the lusg on his Ford Probe...they smashed on an oversized socket and pulled it off and then replaced that dang thing with a regular old lugnut.

You'll be out the cost of 1 to 4 sockets, cuz you will mess them up, but those damn wheel locks are a pain in the butt to deal with, and as you can see, anyone with a little creativity can still get them off nice and easy....just like bypassing The Club takes nothing more than a hacksaw or a pair of fold-down bolt cutters in most cases...

A way to get off lock nuts is to take a steel punch (with a pointed end)and a hammer....put the punch on the end of the lock nut and give it a good whack. Since most are cheap sh*t...it will most likely break.

What if I "happened" to lose the key to my wheel locks, and I don't have any idea about what company they are from. How can I get them off? I know....I'm a dumbass for losing the key:cry:

If they are the factory wheels than chances are they are factory equipment. Go to the dealer and give them the vin number. They might be able to score you a new one. Otherwise there are special tools to remove them. Tire shop should have them.

Call a tire shop se if they have the tool. I know Snap-on makes the tool. Don't know who else. I know one time I had to weld a regular nut to the end of lock nut so I could take them off. Have to be very carefull you don't get weld splatter on the wheels tho.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back