The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2GN/T FAQ suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Founder & Zookeeper
Nov 12, 2001
Newcastle, California
Hey guys, can you give me a list of topics that come up regularly that should be in our FAQ? It would help if you typed out the title, and then found a thread that has the related discussion going on. I'll be able to get it added.

Thanks!

If they are interested in Turboing:

Explain the missing link to them.
Hahn's Website.
Star's Website.

Just a couple ideas

Originally posted by big green
How about a FAQ on running a basic nitrous system. Especially for the 2gnt.
Is that a common question you come across in this forum and answer frequently, or is this just something you want to learn? We're trying to gather common questions with this thread, not necessarily find out what people might want to learn about.

In the nitrous fourm, many people ask if they should run wet or dry, kit number. How big of a shot they can handle. What you should have done prior to installing nitrous,ect,ect...

I already have done a nitrous install on my car:thumb:

Just want to help spread some knowledge:)

Agreed. I'd ask green if he wants to help me write one...we could do a nitrous install, applications, and determining what type you need. Including dry, wet, staged, and direct port.

I'd also like to see something about the turboing of the 420A such as MyEclipse5 said, except I'd also like to see a guide on creating a basic turbo kit using like the 14B or something. Gathering of parts, major parts needed, etc. to be covered. Just for those who want to go about turboing, they won't overly ask what all's involved or needed.

EDIT: The twin turboing thing is a bit old also.

TONS of exhaust q's too
we should get people to get a pic of there exhaust, and give a bit of info about it and how it feels etc..
like:
91 laser rs 5 speed
i have a 2.5 inch custom mandrel bent exhaust from the header back with no cat and a nice straight thru magnaflow muffler. it hauls pretty good...little better than stock, is f*#king loud and has a bit of rice at the top end:( overall i like it

Underdrive Pullies. I've been here maybe a month and have probably seen 4-5.

common topics and questions

1. headers - two types 4-1 and 4-2-1, positives and negatives, good performance vs. pricemegan racing, obx, pacesetter

2. exhaust - size piping, benefits of full catback, good performance vs. price, megan racing, obx, pacesetter

3. c.a.i. - Major brands, iceman, injen, aem, and cheaper ebay ones. benefit of c.a.i and how they are pretty much all the same - price doesn't make one better

4. turbo conversion - tons of questions. as stated above maybe all parts needed for a custom made kit, or where to get different parts to assemble your own kit, assembly steps, also a breakdown of the star and hahn difference, what is better, price, quality

5. Nitrous - what kit to run as stated above, if you guys would put that together that would be great, especially what should be done first so not to many people go and ruin there engines trying a 100 shot stock\

6. Air intake (non-c.ai.) - basically throttle bodies (jeep, 1g) ported manifolds - how to do or where

that would be a great start, a faq would save so many repetitive questions on these topics. basically not many people want to install all 400 + parts like greddy, borla, magnaflow when basically same results can be acheived from lower priced competitors, so on the tunning guide, list some lower priced alternatives that are just as good

should post on internal setups and compressions. also head porting is a good topic since i barely hear anyoen talk abotu it.

fuel setups could be brought into it. injector sizes and maf translator setups.

also n/a stroker setups ive helped out with a lot. just a few more ideas

A 1.8L guy can go to the others struggling with performance or lack of parts and talk together and find other ways to make their own performance mods. This may grow due to the amount of 1.8L DSM s that didnt know it was a 1.8l when they bought it or just got stuck with it. It is still a good car and efficient and can be enhanced in many ways. Even the little 1.8L engine is a good one. look at honda 1.5 1.6 1.7 etc etc. So apply some coomon hot rodding theory -head work valves custom cam raise compression offset crank grinding to increase stroke marginally etc.etc. timing throttle body- headers have a welder weld up a step tube design header I am currently in the process of this now.but has to be matched to bore stroke rod length rpm and cam will still help a stock motor. 1.8L are corked as it is.add a 160 thermostat etc. add a cold air intake system
build your own exhaust come on in lets challenge 1.8L peeps not put them down help demand support from the aftermarket or encourage their own designs we need more people to believe in these machines that are capable these are capable cars lets take other real world tuners by suprise demand body kits be made for the early 1st gens lets sport it lets represent the DSM with our 1.8L DSMs the little brother is going to make his big brother proud lets get organized This site can help . :thumb:

TURBOSOK said:
A 1.8L guy can go to the others struggling with performance or lack of parts and talk together and find other ways to make their own performance mods. This may grow due to the amount of 1.8L DSM s that didnt know it was a 1.8l when they bought it or just got stuck with it. It is still a good car and efficient and can be enhanced in many ways. Even the little 1.8L engine is a good one. look at honda 1.5 1.6 1.7 etc etc. So apply some coomon hot rodding theory -head work valves custom cam raise compression offset crank grinding to increase stroke marginally etc.etc. timing throttle body- headers have a welder weld up a step tube design header I am currently in the process of this now.but has to be matched to bore stroke rod length rpm and cam will still help a stock motor. 1.8L are corked as it is.add a 160 thermostat etc. add a cold air intake system
build your own exhaust come on in lets challenge 1.8L peeps not put them down help demand support from the aftermarket or encourage their own designs we need more people to believe in these machines that are capable these are capable cars lets take other real world tuners by suprise demand body kits be made for the early 1st gens lets sport it lets represent the DSM with our 1.8L DSMs the little brother is going to make his big brother proud lets get organized This site can help . :thumb:

I do Love your pride man, that's awesome!! and I almost totally agree w/ya (cept on body kits LoL) But being very reliable, and very gas efficient cars, the 4g37 is by no means, a car not worth having!! :thumb:

Spark Plug Guide - I'm still not sure if I should be running 1 range hotter or stock :confused:

And like others have said, CAI (brands, etc.) and the dreaded hydrolock

If I sound like a newb, it's because...either I am, or the fact that I'm dead tired atm :p

Definately need a faq on Fuel systems/tuning of the sytems for NT's(w/turbo)

Fuel pump's
FMU's
Injector size choice
tuning guides for SAFC's, megasquirt is definatly something that we all hear about but most have no clue how to use.
E-mange tuning results.
Fuel pump rewires,
Installing the return line for a different Fuel pressure Regulator so you can adjust the pressure in the engine bay.

Oh something that should definatly be in the fact is how to choose your injectors using the math equation.

probably the most annoying repeated threads are motor swaps like the avenger and 4g63 into the 420a.

and what do i need to make my own turbo kit questions.

i got a FAQ, dose that ram electric supercharer thing really work? it says it can give up to 30whp but im sure if thats ture. i gauss it would depend on the car.

t

i got a FAQ, dose that ram electric supercharer thing really work? it says it can give up to 30whp but im sure if thats ture. i gauss it would depend on the car.

t

Doesn't work, infact it can do more harm then good. My friend tried on his nissan altima, it ending up messing up the maft, so his car wouldn't start. To be honest you'd think there would be more R&D about a product like this if it really worked. Don't even waste your money on it.

common topics and questions

1. headers - two types 4-1 and 4-2-1, positives and negatives, good performance vs. pricemegan racing, obx, pacesetter

2. exhaust - size piping, benefits of full catback, good performance vs. price, megan racing, obx, pacesetter

3. c.a.i. - Major brands, iceman, injen, aem, and cheaper ebay ones. benefit of c.a.i and how they are pretty much all the same - price doesn't make one better

4. turbo conversion - tons of questions. as stated above maybe all parts needed for a custom made kit, or where to get different parts to assemble your own kit, assembly steps, also a breakdown of the star and hahn difference, what is better, price, quality

5. Nitrous - what kit to run as stated above, if you guys would put that together that would be great, especially what should be done first so not to many people go and ruin there engines trying a 100 shot stock\

6. Air intake (non-c.ai.) - basically throttle bodies (jeep, 1g) ported manifolds - how to do or where

that would be a great start, a faq would save so many repetitive questions on these topics. basically not many people want to install all 400 + parts like greddy, borla, magnaflow when basically same results can be acheived from lower priced competitors, so on the tunning guide, list some lower priced alternatives that are just as good

Definately need a faq on Fuel systems/tuning of the sytems for NT's(w/turbo)

Fuel pump's
FMU's
Injector size choice
tuning guides for SAFC's, megasquirt is definatly something that we all hear about but most have no clue how to use.
E-mange tuning results.
Fuel pump rewires,
Installing the return line for a different Fuel pressure Regulator so you can adjust the pressure in the engine bay.

Oh something that should definatly be in the fact is how to choose your injectors using the math equation.

I'm just compiling things that'll go in the FAQ. I think these two posts are a good place to start, plus a thread about why the SAFC doesn't work for a 2GNT!

A FAQ about the benifits and drawbacks about the MS and Portfueler setups. Both are good but both have their own negative points. It would help for the newer folks deciding how to build a turbokit, and list where we can get these parts.

A FAQ about the benifits and drawbacks about the MS and Portfueler setups. Both are good but both have their own negative points. It would help for the newer folks deciding how to build a turbokit, and list where we can get these parts.

And the other various fuel management devices available.

Don't forget the wire-harness-to-EGR-pipe issue.

This FAQ has been building for years. Where's it at?!! ;)

Hey, about the EGR, Hahn says to block off the EGR while still leaving it plugged in and running, Just block the IM as normal and use the same type of blocking size to do the same on the selinoid (no CEL = passed emissions). Just a FAQ and an answer to go with it.

And the other various fuel management devices available.

Don't forget the wire-harness-to-EGR-pipe issue.

This FAQ has been building for years. Where's it at?!! ;)

I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back