The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Pulled the valve cover and you'll never guess.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonthefaded

Supporting VIP
Aug 3, 2011
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Not sure if this is the right section.

Hey dsmtuners!

I decided to pull my 420a valve cover off for a cleaning and some paint to make it spiffy for the car show next week.

I decided to take a ton of photos with my phone and thought maybe you guys can tell me if these interals are stock or not. Soon as I get inside I'm going todo my part. I figure this could help other 420 guys id their cams, valve springs, lifters and what not.

Also maybe point out any problems I may not see. I'm not an engine expert yet but id like to be.

If you see any bad things going on in these photos, please lemme know how I can fix it and what its called. Also identifying the markings would help a lot as well.
Photos will follow in 4 minutes

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sorry if it is too photo intensive but I dont have time to be opening and rechecking

I can not say about the cams, but look at the back end and see if there is anything engraved or stamped there.

The springs and retainers look stock.

All Stock hardware in those pics. And Good news is it looks pretty clean inside too you have a good healthy engine ;)

Ya deff. looks good inside. Keep up your maintance and it should last for a while longer.

Jared

Definitely car show quality!!

Well I strp the second layer of pay off the valve cover tonight and then I give it a bath again with seafoam. After that some sanding. Rinse. Sand. Rinse and then seafoam once more the my paint. I have two choices. Engine enamel greyish primer as the light base. the engine enamal blue and it says something abotu ceramic. I also just picked up. A light blue VHT header paint. Matte blue. I don't know which would turn out better.

My goal is to have the lettering shiney new. The vc paint itself not shiny or have an anaodized finish at all. I want it flat deep in color.

Any suggestions or thought

I decided to fill a container with the thinner and water and scrub scrub dub. It work. Surprisingly. I've cleaned it off with simple green inside and out. I bought a dremel and some nice little things for it so I can to the fine touches of griding and polishing/cleaning and here's what I got so far guys :)

Right now I'm sanding it with 800 then ill use 2000. Before I throw on a thing layer of primer.

My question is why use primer when I have high heat engine enamel?

Update all sanding is done I decided screw the paper and used a super secret method ;) wondering if I should leave the vc like this

Painting is all done and I've baked it at 200 degress and raised it little by little to 400 then about 6 hours later now the oven is off. And I'm going go let it cool of nice and slow. Then dremel clean the lettering.

you used a DA....? thats not to secret LOL

Powder coating it would have saved you time, and frustration later when the paint goes.. Looks good for now tho

Paint will look good for a garunteed 7 years of daily driver use :)

Paint will look good for a garunteed 7 years of daily driver use :)

For the car show on the 4 it will look new

I use a basic block sander on the raised lettering. Works pretty quick and comes out nice.

MB

I use a basic block sander on the raised lettering. Works pretty quick and comes out nice.

MB

Thats what I have used on all my VC. Works wonders quick and easy. Then a little clear coat will make it shine!

Jared

Here's the finished product everyone with the engine put back together. Added a blue top and used bed liner on my upper strut tie and rear. Then re plastidiped my hood. Re grounded my grounding kit. Also added blue lug

Car is is tomorrw and I gota work on my buddies 3g
Gota remove bumper, fmic, make seat brakets for his "racing" seats. Tuck his neon and led glow wires. And remove his attempt at stickerbomb.
A lot of ppl attempted to stickerbomb over here about only 6 cars made it

Painting is all done and I've baked it at 200 degress and raised it little by little to 400 then about 6 hours later now the oven is off. And I'm going go let it cool of nice and slow. Then dremel clean the lettering.

Let us know if your Christmas roast has a slight taste of paint to it:D

Anyway, looks good. Post up some pictures of the rest of the car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back