The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

oil leak passanger side

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlikethedrink

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 11, 2007
ABQ, New_Mexico
I just got back from out of town. I noticed i got a huge oil leak. Like 1/2 quart was dripped on the floor. It looks like its coming from the passanger side. I havnt done anything to that side of the engine. I checked the CAS as once it was left loose and leaked something fierce. I was hoping this was what it was again for a quick fix. No dice.

Im going to jack up the car in the morning. any points i should look for? known problem areas?

I might take out the battery so i can get a better look under the intake mani. My head is freshly rebuilt about 10-15k so the engine bay is clean and gaskets are new. A problem should be easy to spot.

Do you know if its leaking from the top or the bottom?

i have no idea where its leaking from. all i know is its alot. especially it leaking that much when the engine isnt running. who knows how much it leaks running. ill start it and look for any gushing.

front or rear of the motor?

im gonna have to say the rear. thats my best guess and is also why im goin to pull the battery to take a peak back there. i figure with that much leaking, the problem should be obvious.

Has anything been done to the engine in reacent history. Like a timeing belt change? If so check the bolt that has to be removed to index the rear ballance shaft. If that was left loose and backed out Well you get the picture.

Man if that is it that would be an easy fix.:thumb:

does anyone know if theres maybe some kind of return line or something back there that may have gotten old and cracked, might be odd for there to be a rubber line back there for oil...

Chech Your Rear Main Seal?
U Sure Is Oil? Check Your Level?

I Could Be Just An Axel Seal

axel seal it is. i put in some ATF. it was red. as soon as i put it in i looked back under the car and saw a few red drips. i see where its coming from now. the boot is torn too. so my next questions are...

how much would this cost to get it fixed?

how much for the parts? what would i need? could i do it myself or is it rocket science?
-ive change out CV axles before. just not familiar with the seals....

does anyone have a write up?

If you have taken the axles out before, you just go a step further and take the seal out with a pointy sharp tool, then lube the seal with some oil and gently press it back in. As for the cost, if you do it yourself, I *think* I paid about $30 for both the driver and passenger seals from the dealership.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back