The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

YERFDOG'S 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YERFDOG

Proven Member
Feb 10, 2013
Bay Area, California
Hey DSMtuners!

My name is Eric and I am somewhat new here. I've been lurking the forum for quite some time but never owned a DSM until this past December (2015). I was in the search for a white 99 GSX for about 4 years and finally bought one. I live in California and purchased the car from Washington. What sold me on this car is that it is 100% stock!! Seriously rare for a 2G, as you guys know. Mileage is a bit on the high side at 168,000 but seems to be very well taken care of. Not too worried though as I do have mild plans for it in the future. As of right now, I'm enjoying driving it as it is. I do want to do a EVO III 16G in the future and supporting mods but being in California may limit it a bit but then again there is always a way around SMOG ect. :D

First things first was maintenance. Oil change, spark plugs, wires, PCV valve, valve cover gasket, fuel filter, and new battery. I want to definitely address the other fluids and timing belt soon. I've always been a fan of LED's so I changed the interior lighting to white and the license plates also got white LED's. I will try and update this as much as possible but it may be somewhat of a slow build, so bare with me!

IMG_6110.jpg
IMG_6109.jpgIMG_6264.jpg
IMG_6199.jpg
IMG_6130.jpg
IMG_6129.jpg

Also thought I'd show you my other ride. A 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited!
http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread.php?6669-YERFDOG-s-White-5-9-D

bb38d299-b91f-4174-bb96-483e279b7ac3.jpg
IMG_6376.jpg
IMG_5513.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE 3/2/2016
The front tires on the car are bald on the inside edge so it is needing an alignment ASAP. The front right rim is bent and I have read that this is fairly common so I was looking elsewhere for rims/tires as I did not want to purchase new tires for the stock wheels. I bought myself a set of EVO 9 Enkeis with nice meaty BFGoodrich tires for an awesome deal!! I have yet to put them on the car but will update once I do. It will be getting an alignment when they go on though :). I am also not exactly sure, but I'm thinking of getting them powder coated black...

IMG_6403.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE 3/20/2016
Did a couple small things to the Eclipse in the last couple weeks but not much. The battery terminals had some poor connections and were even causing my lights to flicker while idling. I got some new wing-nut style ones and crimped some heavy duty ring terminals on the wiring and put heat shrink tubing to make it look nice. Even added some felt battery post insulators for a nice touch :cool:. My downpipe was missing one of the nuts so I replaced both to fix a small exhaust leak. The EVO 9 Enkeis will be going on soon as I did just receive new lugs and locks for them. Now time for pictures...:thumb:

IMG_6503.jpg
IMG_6500.jpg
IMG_6517_1.jpg
IMG_6518_1.jpg
IMG_6519.jpg
IMG_6520.jpg
IMG_6521_1.jpg
IMG_6523.jpg
IMG_6524.jpg
IMG_6528.jpg
IMG_6529.jpg
IMG_6534.jpg
IMG_6536.jpg
IMG_6535.jpg
IMG_6537.jpg

Last edited:
Very similar to my story. Found a 100% stock GSX w/150k, got Evo IX enkeis to replace bent stock rims... mine is nodded now though. Great looking car!

UPDATE 3/26/2016
First off, thanks for the kind words everyone!! :thumb::dsm:
I got the EVO 9 Enkeis I picked up awhile ago mounted, balanced and aligned at the old shop I used to work at. I really like how they look, BUT now the car is in desperate need of a drop haha!! I planned to drop the car anyway, but might be sooner than I thought. Tire size is 235/45/17 and they are BFGoodrich! Anyway, I snapped a lot of pictures. Also have some random shots of the interior :D

IMG_6564.jpg
IMG_6568.jpg
IMG_6575.jpg
IMG_6587.jpg
IMG_6586.jpg
IMG_6569.jpg
IMG_6570.jpg
IMG_6571.jpg
IMG_6573.jpg
IMG_6585.jpg
IMG_6589.jpg
IMG_6588.jpg
IMG_6592.jpg
IMG_6579.jpg
IMG_6580.jpg
IMG_6581.jpg

UPDATE 4/18/2016
I had to replace my wiper motor because they would not "park" after turning them off. That is now fixed :thumb:. While having the cowl off, I decided to re-paint it black and I also did the wiper arms, cam gear cover, fog light bezels, and drivers side lower front bumper bezel. Some of the cowl clips broke so I got all new cowl clips and decided to get some other new OEM parts. Oil dipstick, oil cap, brake fluid cap, clutch reservoir cap, interior fuse box cover (mine was missing), and an OEM oil filter to hopefully help the lifter tick (it did not :cry:). I've always liked blind spot mirrors so I threw some on. Also, I am LOOKING for a nice condition under-hood insulation if anybody has one?!? AND the 3rd brake light assembly for the rear window since the previous owner deleted it. Other than that nothing else has been done, I'm just enjoying it as it is right now.

IMG_6611.jpg
IMG_6614.jpg
IMG_6613.jpg
IMG_6639.jpg
IMG_6677.jpg
IMG_6638.jpg
IMG_6701.jpg
IMG_6609.jpg
IMG_6616.jpg
IMG_6714.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE 4/23/2016
I finally got around to doing a compression test. The motor is original and is about to hit 168,000 miles! I am happy with the results. The test was done after driving for about a half hour on the freeway.

Test Results (Dry)
Cylinder 1: 170
Cylinder 2: 165
Cylinder 3: 160
Cylinder 4: 165

IMG_6746.jpg

UPDATE 4/27/2016
Not really an update but some new pictures! ;)
IMG_6747.jpg
IMG_6748.jpg
IMG_6756.jpg

Clean car my dude! I had the lifter tick issue too. Was so happy after I got them changed out.

What type of paint did you use on the windshield wipers and trim?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hopefully the answer is after maintenance is all caught up on the car haha :pray: Need more DSM'ers like this!
By Maintenance he means upgraded performance parts.

Besides a Timing belt job and w/pump. And small tune up, I don't see anything else that would need heavy maintenance done.

Time to upgrade it :)

nice progress, really enjoy your build. if i may ask, what paint did you use to paint your cowl and other misc plastic pieces.

nice car man! Big question is, when are the mods coming?
Hopefully the answer is after maintenance is all caught up on the car haha :pray: Need more DSM'ers like this!

Exactly!! Right now I'm just trying to get all the maintenance done so I don't have to worry about it. I just ordered Redline fluid for the rear differential, transfer case and transmission. In a couple weeks the timing belt, water pump and all timing components will be replaced with OEM parts as well as the drive belts. That will pretty much complete the maintenance for awhile. Then will come an exhaust, intake and BOV. I would like to hear the car a bit more. As far as "bigger mods" I am still deciding on a goal and doing my research on how to mod the car safely with good power. I'm new to the DSM scene so I want to do it correctly the first time. :thumb:

nice progress, really enjoy your build. if i may ask, what paint did you use to paint your cowl and other misc plastic pieces.

Thank you!! I used semi-gloss black Rustoleum Paint/Primer combo.

Last edited:
Good looking car. I always thought the EVO 9 Enkei wheels looked right at home on a 2G.

You may want to consider ECMlink as one of your first mods. People usually do it the other way around, but I think it's much more beneficial to have the functionality and diagnostic capabilities that ECMlink provides prior to modding. Also, it's nice to get familiar with the software prior to bolting on a bunch of parts.

thanks for the info, i want to restore my mud guards but I don't want to paint since it will most likely flake off. I did find a company that sells plastic/ rubber dye. and it makes the plastic look like new

UPDATE 6/9/2016
So tomorrow (6/10/16) I will be dropping the car off at WORKS Motorsports (Sonoma Raceway) to get the timing belt job done. As much as I'd like to do it myself, I don't have the time for it. I will be changing the rear differential, transfer case and transmission fluids with Redline once it comes back from the shop. I had a free brushless car-wash coupon so I took advantage of that and snapped some pics. I like having my cars nice and clean when it heads to a shop. I feel they take better care of it ROFL.

IMG_6982.jpg
IMG_6985.jpg
IMG_6986.jpg
IMG_6987.jpg
IMG_6988.jpg

Dropped the car off this morning. I think it'll be in good hands...;)
IMG_6990.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back