The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Water Leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weapon0x2

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2010
arlington, Texas
I have water leaking from the area that is right next to my oil filter (towards the passenger side not driver side). It doesn't leak when the car is off only when its turned on. what could it be?

it looks like it coming out somewhere around the water pump and then leaking down to the oil filter housing.

There is a pipe that runs along the front of the engine block. It's connected to your lower radiator hose on the passenger side of the engine runs up between your exhaust manifold and head then connects to your water pump just under your power steering pump. It's called the water pipe;D The o-ring that goes on the pipe and seals it into the water pump over time gets deformed and will start leaking. It's easy and cheaper to replace compared to a leaking water pump. Will take you 1-4 hours in a garage and cost under 20 bucks.

Your gonna need some coolant and a new o-ring (perferably a OEM one from dealership, better quality and thicker) There are 2 bolts holding this pipe to engine. To gain access to the 1 bolt under your exhaust manifold you may have to remove your exhaust manifold, this bolt is located directly between and under the 2 ports on the passenger side. The 2nd bolt is on the passenger side of the block under the t-stat housing.

When I replaced my o-ring this is what I did. I had removed my exhaust manifold and with a large flat head screw driver I used as a pry bar. The mounting bracket that's attached to the water pipe on the front of engine block (used the mounting bracket because didn't want to dent/crack pipe) I pryed the pipe away from the water pump and out of the inlet. When the pipe came free I removed the old o-ring and cleaned the surface of the pipe to remove all debris. Then the new o-ring you soak in new coolant and then wet the surface of the pipe with new coolant to act as a lubricant. DO NOT use oil or any other lubricant it will weaken the chemical properties of the new o-ring and reduce it's life. Carefully slide the new o-ring onto the pipe and carefully guide the pipe back into the inlet of the water pump (you do not want to damage the new ring) when pipe is properly engaged into the inlet you will feel it "pop" in as there is a groove on the inside it sits in.

Bolt everything back up top it off with coolant and enjoy a leak free water pipe.

If it has a 2g water housing on it is is alot easier to get the pipe in/out if you take the housing off. It can be done either way but for the safety of your water pipe o ring make sure to lube it up so it doesnt tear. Also, if this is a turbo car make sure to check the o ring in the oil cooler to make sure thats not what is leaking water. Good luck

Yeah its on my 2g awd.

This this just wouldn't come off last night, so i guess ima just pull the housing off too.

Do i need to replace a gasket off the housing that sits on the block of i pull it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back