The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

trans shift problem only at high rpm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassanova122407

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 4, 2009
Providence, Rhode_Island
:beatentodeath:whell, lets start i was screwing around doing pulls and i decided to go from a dig,at that time i brought my rpm up to redline and car would not shift into second almost like a miss it just grinded it only does it from like 6600-8000 rpm, dont know about any other gear because i couldn't catch second , daily driving is fine doing pulls all day first and only time i brought it so high in rpm band.
fwiw i have searched sense about 3:30 am et and couldnt find a problem like mine so i am posting my problem at 11:03 pm et thank you

I'm assuming you have a stock transmission from looking in your profile, so unfortunately I'd have to say that is a sign of worn syncros.:| The 1-2 syncros are usually the first to exhibit problems, especially in the high rpms like you are describing. You might get a little better performance with switching to a different fluid. There are all kinds of threads about which fluid(s) to use, so I won't get into that. To totally rid the problem though, I'd have to guess that you would need to rebuild/upgrade the transmission to get a consistant high rpm shift. Good luck!:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back