The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Think about buying dsmlink.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepingTsi94

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 24, 2006
Corn, Iowa
Well I am thinking about ditching my chip and my safc 2 and buying dsmlink. Currently I'm running the 2g mas and would like to switch to the gm maf. Do you still have to have the maf-t to use the gm maf with dsmlink? Also is there really any great difference beside venting between the 2g and gm? I want to look into all possible factors on which would be best to do. I like how the gm maf gets thing more out of the way than the 2g. But Id rather have the better set-up. So what will dsmlink give me that I don't have now?

Yes, you'd still need the maf translator to run the GM maf with dsmlink. The reason is, the output frequency of the GM maf is quite a bit higher than that of the 1g/2g mafs. There are plenty of cars that have gone fast on a 2g maf. Given that you're running a t3/t4, there's potentially some power to be made by going with a GM maf since the 2g maf is restrictive compared to the GM maf. But, I'm sure you're car would be plenty fast even with a 2g maf if you decided to go that route.

One main reason for dsmlink is the ability to control fuel and timing independently. With the SAFC, this isn't possible. There are huge gains in power that can be made by running the correct timing for your setup, provided you aren't already there. With an SAFC it's much harder to get there because it's dependent on the mass airflow you're running, the injectors you're compensating for and what your correction ends up being on the SAFC, among other things. There are a lot of other cool functions, but that's the main advantage I see. Hope this helps.

yokotabrat is correct. just stick with the 2g mas until you max it out i believe its 450whp and 500-550 hacked although hacking it can cause problems. either way you cant go wrong with DSMlink its a great tool to have.

A 2G MAS should NEVER be hacked. They flow well enough as-is, and when they get hacked, problems start happening with idle and tune. Had someone bring a 2G into the shop with three honeycombs removed, who had punched a rod through the side of his block... tuning shop he'd taken it to set his SAFC pig-rich to try and compensate for the hack. He set it back to -10% lean and detonated insanely hard. NEVER hack a 2G MAS (even if his destroyed engine was due to his own stupidity).

You'll need the MAF-T to run the GM MAS. There's talk about DSMLink v3 integrating that capability, but it's not out and there's no real release date for it yet.

A GM MAS in blowthrough mode will allow you to vent an aftermarket BOV (DSMs come stock with a CBV, which is open under vacuum, pulling in unfiltered air). A 2G MAS will not allow you to vent and still have the car run right, though a number of 2Gers still do it anyway to get the Riced and Curious hiss.

DSMLink will also allow you to run much larger injectors without having your low-end drivability suffer. You can set up the global deadtime, so the ECU can compensate for the larger injectors' 'lag' on open and close. It's a much better way to go than an SAFC, or a single-burn chip... you'll get much better results with Link.

I have DSMlink and a blowthrough setup. I think DSMlink is the best addition i've ever made to my car. GMmaf is a lot less restrictive then the 2gmas, but can be difficult to tune (especially if you don't have a wideband or gm 3 bar).

I have DSMlink with a 2g mas on a 1g and love it. I recently had a maft setup fall into my hands and tried it out and then sold it. There is no reason for the headaches. It felt the same either way and added too much extra shit in my engine bay. Get link and run the 2g mas and wait for v3 to come out and run speed density.

How user friendly is the program. Im new to all the tuning will it be hard to learn or should I pick up fairly quickly. This is with using the 2gmas and a wideband. All I would need to do what replace the chip in my ecu already with the dsmlink one and I should be ready to go?

How user friendly is the program. Im new to all the tuning will it be hard to learn or should I pick up fairly quickly. This is with using the 2gmas and a wideband. All I would need to do what replace the chip in my ecu already with the dsmlink one and I should be ready to go?

It's not that hard and there's plenty of support online and there are always people willing to help with your tune. And yes, if you have a socketed ecu, then you'd just replace the chip, hook up the obd connection to your laptop and you're good to go.

The easy to use user interface is one of the reasons to get dsmlink over most other engine management systems. The instructions that come with it along with the online forums are great. You'll probably just need to do a lot of reading, but it should be no problem.

You'll need to find out if you have an eprom ecu. Instructions are here: http://www.technomotive.com/howto/ecu1g/checkeprom.htm You'll need to get it socketed and then install dsmlink. There's probably more info on dsmlink's site about this, but the eprom ecu will be required. Not all 1gs had them, so hopefully you're one of the lucky ones. Good luck.

What easier to tune with the safc 2 or dsmlink. I don't want make a purchase on it and then be stuck with car running like shit If it comes down to not being able to understand it.

What easier to tune with the safc 2 or dsmlink. I don't want make a purchase on it and then be stuck with car running like shit If it comes down to not being able to understand it.

If you know how to tune with an afc and understand what's going on, you shouldn't have any problems with dsmlink. If you ever run into any problems, you always have online support and that's very helpful.

Go with the 2g mas. I had the gm maf and i went back to the 2g mas a year ago and i dont regret it. Tuning is way easier with the 2g mas with dsmlink.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back