The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Symptoms of Broken Shift Fork? Would you still be able to shift??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi1991awd

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2008
Puyallup, Washington
If I had a broken shift fork or shift rail, would the tranny be able to shift through all the gears when the car was off?

I have been contemplating if I have a broken 3-4 fork or rail and not sure what symptoms to look for...

Car shifts fine into all gears when the car is OFF. Hard to get into gear when the car is ON. I know the clutch is toast. When car is ON, it will go into 3rd gear. If I put the car back into NEUTRAL, it will still be in 3rd gear. The shifter inside the car, AS WELL AS the shift levers on the transmission itself, will be in the NEUTRAL position, but when I let off the clutch the car dies because it is still in gear. If I give it gas and let off the clutch, it will creep forward....because it is still in gear.

So I am trying to figure out of the clutch could cause this problem, or if it is a broken fork/rail/whatever??

my buddie ran his evo at the track this weekend and he broke his fork, so he cant shift in 2nd and 4th

I know that if a fork breaks the shifter will go into position where the gear would normally be but it won't acually click into gear cause the hub is only being pushed on one side. If it goes in it's most likely not the fork.

if you break one shift fork 2nd AND 4th won't be out. it would be either 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th, or 5th and reverse. it's possible to bend them before they break and have one missing gear.

It will go into all gears fine and "click" into the gear when the car is off, like I said.

When the car is running, since the clutch is toast, it won't go into any gear except 3rd and when I put it back to Neutral, it is stuck in 3rd gear....EVEN THOUGH the shift levers and the shifter itself in the car are in the Neutral position. To get it out of 3rd, I have to just wiggle the levers around at the tranny...move the levers up/down and then start the car back up and then it will finally be in Neutral....even though it was in the Neutral position all along at the tranny and at the shifter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back