The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

ECMlink Speed Density Smoothing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRace

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2011
Joplin, Missouri
This is my first cruise log with my new ecm that actually works. I am needing advice on exactly how to smooth out the numbers in the sd table. I have a recommendation from the sd adjust but i'm not sure which direction i'm supposed to smooth in. Side to side, up and down?

Attachments

• shortened cruise log to upload.elg
    467.7 KB · Views: 138
Your supposed to smooth both side to side as well as up and down, something you might difficult if you're using those suggestions. LOL

Whats your base fuel pressure set to and what brand of 680cc injectors do you have? Have you done a BLT lately?

:dsm:

Your supposed to smooth both side to side as well as up and down, something you might difficult if you're using those suggestions. LOL

Whats your base fuel pressure set to and what brand of 680cc injectors do you have? Have you done a BLT lately?

I haven't done a boost leak test yet, I just installed a new fmic kit. Do boost leaks make much of a difference with speed density cruising? The injectors are delphi 680cc. The base fuel pressure is set at 38 psi right now, it is what the fpr happened to be at when I set up everything.

For the smoothing is it more important that the rows are close to the comp suggestions or the columns? I just feel that I may be raising values or lowering the wrong values around the suggestions.

It's hard to describe in text but you want things smoothed out in what can only be described as diagonal through the table. It's not truly diagonal, but I'm hoping that gives you the best visual. Generally speaking, VE increases as RPM increases and as pressure increases, up to a certain point. SD uses the cell you see when you use "track datalog" and interpolates all of the neighboring cells to come up with a VE value. So, you might be at a point in a log where your VE is estimated to be 60% and for all intents and purposes it *IS* 60%, but if the neighboring cells are not a smooth transition, ECMLink won't actually try to use 60% as your VE value.

And yes, boost leaks affect SD just as badly as a MAF-based tune. SD is much more drivable even with a massive boost leak (e.g. blown IC pipe) but without knowing you are completely sealed to at least 30+ psi, the numbers you are adjusting are basically meaningless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't done a boost leak test yet, I just installed a new fmic kit. Do boost leaks make much of a difference with speed density cruising? The injectors are delphi 680cc. The base fuel pressure is set at 38 psi right now, it is what the fpr happened to be at when I set up everything.

For the smoothing is it more important that the rows are close to the comp suggestions or the columns? I just feel that I may be raising values or lowering the wrong values around the suggestions.
Although a SD tune doesn't "care" if there's a boost leak that doesn't mean you never have to do a BLT again, especially before the initial tune. Do a proper BLT before you move any further onto tuning your SD VE table, if you don't you'll be wasting your time.

Delphi 680's actually flow like a 640cc injector, which is why you are getting inflated VE suggestions in your SD table when you use the SD VE Adjust (CombinedFT) wizard in Link. You need to increase your injector global settings to -25.7% (using a 38psi base fuel pressure) and get your idle FT's back in check, then move onto cruise tuning the SD VE table.

For tuning SD, its more important that the values being suggested by the software make sense. Yours didn't, which is why I questioned the brand of 680's and your fuel pressure. Once they make sense, and they should once you make the changes to your global settings and do a BLT, then you smooth the rest of the values in the SD table to the suggested. I can show you a before and after if you'd like?

A before and after would be great. I have only been able to find an "after" screenshot of the smoothing process which doesn't help as much.

I'll do a boost leak test, I just had so many ecu problems that It was really the last thing on the list.

Thanks

The good friend of mine did his own idle/cruise tuning on his 1g running speed density and the ECMLink wizard that you did, he didn't smooth anything as you can tell. He then sent me a WOT pull so I tuned the higher load/RPM cells and then smoothed everything out, as you can see it takes a lot of work.

Notice how his VE is inflated as well (100+)? He too had his globals too negative similar to those Delphi 680's actually being 640's.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know on the last log that it looked like the ecmlink program was suggesting values for my table that were not normal. I fixed a couple vacuum leaks that I had, fixed my global fuel correction and made another log. I'm hoping someone can tell me if it looks good enough to smooth or if I need to change something.

Attachments

• good cruise log to upload.elg
    482.1 KB · Views: 80
Change your injector globals to -25.7% or raise your base fuel pressure to 43.5psi, reason being...
The Delphi 680cc injectors actual flow is rated at 640cc, unfortunately though that's their rating with a base fuel pressure (bfp) of 43.5psi. Since you're running a bfp of 38psi they flow even less, equivalent to a 598cc injector actually, so you'll have to use global fuel settings for a 598cc injector.

If you raise your bfp to 43.5 psi, which is where the injectors actually flow 640cc, then you can use the globals for a 640cc fuel injector which would be -35.2%.​
Once you do one or the other, raise bfp to 43.5psi or change globals to reflect what those injectors are actually flowing at 38psi bfp (598cc), then start a 3min idle of the car warmed up (180*+ coolant temps) and do a 10min cruise log trying to hit as many hills as you can while keeping it in closed loop. Attach both idle and cruise logs to your next post and I'll take a look, hopefully those inflated VE cells disappear when you correct the fuel settings for your setup.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

got the idle and cruise tune set and i think i got a pretty even afr matched up to to what i set on my direct access table. the problem im having is that its breaking out in the beginning of 3rd gear if i do a pull from a dead stop. i posted a logs. any help i would appreciate it. dont know if i need to richen the speed density cells between shifts or what. let me know. other than that if i just do a 3rd gear pull from 2k to redline it runs real good.my VE cells seem to be over 100 which idk if they should?also how does my timing table look. any help i would appreciate it.

1G
Holset hx35 on .55bep housing
2g/1g rod piston combo
264 cams
magnus intake
speed density
1250cc injectors
AFPR set to 37psi

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back