The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

slow start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badas93tsi

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 17, 2002
Augusta, West_Virginia
When I go to start my car for the first time of the day, it takes about 5 minutes worth of tries to get it to start. When it starts firing, its real rough. Then just like magic, it starts and runs smoothly. Any idea what h*ll this could be?:confused:

from the sounds of it im havin the same problem as you if u find out what its from please tell me

Here here I'm having the same problem, It seems that cars that are older suffer from this problem, so their should be something on this site somewhere but I have not found it, today I had to take the train to work this su*&s Wise men please help us.

The sensor with the biggest impact on startability is the coolant temp sensor. That tels the ECU how much fuel to allow the injectors to spray.
As soon as the car is running , it takes about 30secs for the O2 sensor to warm up and then the ECU uses that to determine injector duty cycle.

So its either that or possibly you guys have some leaky injectors , the effect is pretty much the same.

It's probably something simple, start with the basics.

How old is the battery in the car? Depending on where you live, it's been getting downright freezing lately, and a lot of batteries will just die when winter rolls around.

I've had more problems due to something with the battery than I can count on my hands, ranging from poor performance to the car shutting off, starting tough, and running raggedly.

If you mean by takes 5 mins to start that it cranks over real slow, then yes, it's probably new battery time (or start by cleaning your battery terminals, and making sure the wire connections are good)

-Jesse

that coolant sensor seems to be the one to really make a car do that, its the black one with 2 prongs, one sideways from the other. if not that can you smell gas after 5 minutes of cranking. if not it may be a fuel filter or an electronic piece elsewhere.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back