The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

shift linkage leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Vic

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2007
Dallas, Texas
question:

has anybody experienced trans fluid leaking out of the shift linkage assembly. Mine is leaking from there and I just want to know how to repair this. I would prefer not to bring the trans down.

V

No, I believe he is experiencing the same proplem that I am. Mine is leaking. Bad. Its where the levers actually come out of the housing, that directly control gear selection. Mine has been acting like a pump and just pumps the fluids out. More annoying than anything, as it takes fluid over time. I do believe that there is a seal on the inside of the tranny for the shift selectors and I am pretty sure you need to take the trans apart to get to it. Someone correct me if I am wrong, and I hope someone does, because I do not want to take another tranny apart for a small seal.

It's not real common, but it does happen. It is kind of a bi*** to change because the linkage is held to the shaft with a press pin.

Yup. I was afraid of that. I hate taking the selector out. I was hoping that there was a slight chance to do it from the outside, but I do not think that it is remotely possible.

Yup. I was afraid of that. I hate taking the selector out. I was hoping that there was a slight chance to do it from the outside, but I do not think that it is remotely possible.

You can get to it from the outside if you can get the press pin out. If not you will have to split the case and drive the roll pin out from inside and slide the shaft out.

Alright. I'll have to have a look-see. I know what you are talking about tho, I tried getting it out with it in the car and gave up only 5 mins into it, haha. Havn't messed with the tranny yet this winter, just assumed only option was to take it apart. Thanks for the info.

You will probably have to take it apart. I've only been able to get one of those pins out with the shaft already out and in a press.

I posted the same question to the tech at shep trans and he said that the
control lever seal does go bad. The problem is that the control shaft and the seal should be replaced which requires complete disassembly. The trans is completely stock and has never been separated from the car.

So someone has done this with the trans in the car?

TIMKEN Part # 710222 Shaft Size: 0.709"; Housing Bore: 1.024"; Seal Width: 0.157"; Seal Outside Dia: 1.028"; Seal Lip Material: Nitrile; Housing Material: Steel; Max Temp: 225°F; Min Temp: -40°F; Seal Type: 980; Press Fit
Trans. code F5M22-2; 5 speed trans.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back