The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

roll cage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laser001

20+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2002
Iowa
I'm looking for a bolt-in roll cage for my 1g laser. Does anyone know of a company that sells one?

By bolt-in you mean one that can be removed when not racing right??

I'm not planning on removing it. I plan to race it in scca autocross and if I install a bolt-in roll cage I can still run in the stock class cause it would be considered a saftey item. If I welded one in that would put me in the modified class. Sort of a messed up rule. A bolt in roll cage is the only way to stiffen up the frame and still race in the stock class.

Now what does the rule say to be a bolt-in. You can have the base plates bolted to the unibody instead of welding it. Is this what they would consider a bolt in??

Or does the whole thing have to be bolted together??

Any ways, someone once upon a time told me that auto power made a bolt-in cage. I also heard that it was not very good.

I talked to some guys on the east coast and they said not to order one but to have one made in the car. I was told that most of the ones you buy won't have enough clearance if your wearing a helmet and just generally won't fix in well. I'm going to check with a few companys here in Des Moines to see if they can make one for me.

Uhm. Don't take this the wrong way but, why are you getting a roll cage if you are racing in stock classes? I mean the additional structural rigidity will not show itself with the 'stockish' suspension components that you can use.

If you want to get serious about autocross in DS (its a turbo right?), then spend the money on shocks, tires, harnesses, etc.

Now if you are doing it for pure safety, then I can understand. But you have to realize its going to add more weight to an already semi-heavy car.

I dont know anything about it clearing a helmet or not, but I know that machv sells the auto power roll cage (bolt in) and so does options auto salon (optauto.com). but they seem outrageously expensive if you ask me. the 4 pt is like $300, and the 6 (which is what you would want) is like twice that.

At machv its under the interior section, and theyve got nice pics of it installed, check em out.

call Chassis Engineering the sell weld in roll cages. The custom make all there stuff and I have seen their work in person and it is really good work. MAybe they can make you a bolt in one..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back