The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Main bearing install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakk220

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2010
Akron, Ohio
Hey guys I'm out in the garage is installing my main bearings for my 6 bolt and was wondering if there is any specific order for the 2 center thrust bearings (top bottom).

Also just to make sure I'm not screwing anything up (it's been a while) the mains with the oil grooves get installed in the block and the blank ones in the caps right? Thanks for the help.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• IMG_20180601_205424.jpg
    IMG_20180601_205424.jpg
    641.4 KB · Views: 189
Yes, grooves bearings in block.

You need to use a lint free cloth and wipe the bearings and bores down with brake clean before installing them.

Yes, grooves bearings in block.

You need to use a lint free cloth and wipe the bearings and bores down with brake clean before installing them.

Thanks that's all I needed to hear! I used some blue shop towels with brake cleaner. They didn't seem to leave behind any lint on the bearings. I gave them a nice coat of redline assembly lube and torqued the mains down to 60 ft lbs 3 times to stretch them.

All the clearances were at about .0020 for mains and rods.

Also top ring was gapped to .020 and bottom to .024
Oil rigs I set to .018. car will see about 28lbs on an for green in the future. I'm getting excited to finish the build!

Saw this in a couple places in your pics.

Good catch. I recleaned them right before I checked the clearances and got that off. It was where the towel caught the corner of the bearing.

Saw this in a couple places in your pics.

As it happens, I am in the process of replacing main bearings as well; and I am not saying it's not a big deal, I am just asking what is the big deal about hair or lint left on the main bearings? Does that affect the clearance? Or the measure thereof...?

As it happens, I am in the process of replacing main bearings as well; and I am not saying it's not a big deal, I am just asking what is the big deal about hair or lint left on the main bearings? Does that affect the clearance? Or the measure thereof...?
Foreign objects tend to be harmful to engines. The clearance of the bearing to journal is usually around .002”. Getting anything at all between them damages the bearing. If you get anything at all, including lint on the back of the bearing it’ll cause a high spot in the bearing that digs into the crank.

Jakk if you run into anything too heavy you can always hit me up and I might be able to drop in next time I'm at Summit, but it seems like your doing ok.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back