The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Low oil pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

more results.

So today I went out there and replaced the oil pressure relieve spring with my old one. Bolt came loose pretty easy. Upon start up the oil pressure guage went up to 90-100 psi and slowly started to drop. I let the car get warm and let it sit there for a while. Then drove it around like previously and let it sit some more making sure the car was completly warm.

At idle the car was at 850 rpms and the pressure gauge showed 4-5 psi. Low oil guage never came on today.

When put in drive the pressure stay''s there. When I put it back in park the RPMS rise to about 1000-1100 for a few minutes and the pressure goes up to about 10psi.

The pressure goes up and down with rpms.

When driving at about 1500 rpms steady the oil pressure is 22psi. Can someone see what their guages are reading in drive at 1500 rpms of steady driving.

I had the car running for about an hour and never ones did the low oil light come on. Not that, that is what i was shooting for, but at least the pressure didnt drop to 1-3 psi like before.

Is the pressure still to low?

Other things I noticed:
I know I had a small leak from where the oil return tube goes to the oil pan. No drips, just you can see it is slowly leaking. Just runs on the pan a bit.

I opened the oil filler cap while the car was running and warm. It had a lot of suction, took a bit to get the cap off. I looked and there was oil in the head, but I am suppose to see oil squirting up enouph to make me want to close the cap?

Oil usually squirts out ouf mine with the cap removed. Not alot, but just some spray. I don't have a gauge, but I would say your pressure is on the low side, but as long as you build adequate pressure with RPM you are good.

Is this on a rebuild? or did you just remove balance shafts?

I got the bottom half of another member, he put new bearing in and did the balance shaft removal. He ran the motor for about 2-3k miles then sold the block to me. I got a newer head and put the 2 together. New gaskets and everything.

He said the oil pressure was fine for him. The froncase is new, when he was using the block he has put a new frontcase on.

If the rule is to have 10psi per 1000rpm, then I should be fine I guess. I am seeing 22psi of pressure at 1500 rpms at constat speed at 1500 rpms.

I might take it out on the roads, if the pressure doesnt stay high enouph with the rpms I'll pull over and tow it home. Hopefully that wont happen.

It’s funny. I had this exact same problem when I rebuilt my engine. Only mine was an easy fix. My light was going on when I came to a stop and the car was at idle. The first thing I did was replace the sending unit. The light stopped coming on, but I wasn’t happy. I ended up buying an oil pressure gauge. I get about 9psi at idle AFTER the car is fully warm.

All Data says the pressure at idle should be from 9-11psi.

So if your reading is correct, it’s a touch low. BUT it’s there. Which as you know is better than having no oil.

Now my guess for why you have a low reading is the oil pressure gauge line. The thing I hate about these gauges is they have no way to bleed the line or the gauge. (Prime it) (My guess is you used that nylon flexible crap... Which is fine, I just hate it. I found some of the same sized brass line for my car) As you know, air compresses easily which will cause a lower reading. I ended up just filling the gauge itself with oil and leaving some room for error in the line. (I didn’t want to start my car and have oil spray everywhere.) But if you read the instructions that came with the gauge, it says it will prime itself after the first oil change?!?!? Not quite sure how that works, but hey I’m not an oil pressure gauge guru!! So that MIGHT be it. Worth a shot.

Another thing might be the place you used as a source. I have mine going from the one on the rear of the filter housing. I just replaced the sending unit that was there with the line. I think the one in front is the one for the light. But I’m not too sure. Right now, does the oil light come on when the engine isn’t running? I also think the back side sees more pressure, but that could be false...

I feel ya tho. There’s nothing scarier than having an oil light come on after a new(er) engine install. I ended up killing my car as I was driving. (Bad idea) It stopped in the middle of the road. People were pissed!!

I used the copper line to do the install. I have the line tapped on the fron of the filter housing. The line is pretty long, 6 feet I think, but I wouldn't think it would cause the gauge to read much lower than it is. Even with some air in it.

Guess I'll be taking it out on the raods to see how she rides.

Like I said the pressure does go up with rpms. So I guess as long as it is doing that if should be fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back