The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

keltalon Switch from FWD to AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keltalon

Supporting VIP
Jun 29, 2003
Luthersville Ga, Atlanta, Georgia
Well after a little fender bender in the fwd I recently purchased a very nice Awd 1997 gsx Eclipse and a ton of brand new parts for a future build came with it. Well this is the start of a new build and I am excited to see how far it goes. The 800whp fwd engine will be swapped in after I build up the drivetrain, transmission, transfer case and the rear end. I have been reading a lot the last 2 days but must say I am on the right track. Stay tuned.
tmp_15940-VZM.IMG_20150913_191937-1657386037.jpg

I will upload more photos!

Very interested in this new build K. Looking forward to more details in your drivetrain modification updates!

Thanks fellas!
tmp_21364-VZM.IMG_20150914_1027471329802249.jpg
drove the car to have it cleaned and for the time being put the first items from the fwd project on the wheels.
tmp_21364-VZM.IMG_20150914_095949466705012.jpg

I
Thanks fellas!
tmp_21364-VZM.IMG_20150914_1027471329802249.jpg
drove the car to have it cleaned and for the time being put the first items from the fwd project on the wheels.
tmp_21364-VZM.IMG_20150914_095949466705012.jpg
The official photo.
tmp_21364-VZM.IMG_20150914_11293527159020.jpg

I think you meant 9-13-15
LOL

Very nice though, you will utilize the awd for sure. Its your car however that had me decide 400 fwhp would be ok though ;)
man u never see cars that clean for sale around here.

I think you meant 9-13-15
LOL

Very nice though, you will utilize the awd for sure. Its your car however that had me decide 400 fwhp would be ok though ;)
man u never see cars that clean for sale around here.
Well I stumbled on this for $1000.00 cash from a good friend of mine. It has 6 bolt swap, big 16g, front mount intercooler, greedy turbo timer, act 2600 clutch. Very nice sound system, cyclone intake manifold. Dsm chips ecu walbro 255 fuel pump radio with navigation the car is right where I need it to be to easily step it up to the next level for sure. Yeah here in ga I have to put on the tag 30 from date of purchase.

YOu really really got a great deal man. You have NO idea.... I paid that much for a 95 gsx and the body was in no where near that condition. Or the interior.

Everyone knew you were gonna go awd LOL, FINALLY!!!!!

Jesus thats giving it away price.

we paid 800 for a parts gst pretty stock not that nice with a blown headgasket...

These are fairly rare around here with the 4g engine and when awd they go for $6000+

Jesus thats giving it away price.

we paid 800 for a parts gst pretty stock not that nice with a blown headgasket...

These are fairly rare around here with the 4g engine and when awd they go for $6000+
I must say I was fortunate and will definitely make the best of it for sure!

Kelvin its awesome to see you found a good deal on a nice car. The awd build should be a lot of fun. Hopefully you will have some good luck with the new build.
Thanks! Cleaned her up and swapped the Megan easy street coil over from the fwd fits like a charm
tmp_14828-VZM.IMG_20150914_2037511758295829.jpg

It looks, from the pic, like the rear is sitting at the right height. I wonder if the spring rates are different and how it'll affect driving?
I kept my TEIN coilovers from my gst during the swap to awd. I've yet to see it sitting on the ground. I have rims similar to yours. 18s right?

Oh, one more thing: You going with the whole beefed up tcase? I think theres a 300M swap for the output or something like that, it'll mate up to a DSS shaft.
I bought a tcase brace from english racing for $300. ALso, a guy on here sells a brace kit for the rear diff that adds a 4th mounting point. You WILL need that with that much power.
It requires welding a large tab to the rear subframe but it doesn't appear difficult even if you suck with a welder ha. I pm'd him and he still has them for 300 bucks a set. They are VERY nice.
You can really get deep into the wallet with awd drivetrain upgrades. Easily drop over 5 grand but with these parts getting so rare i'd say go all in and buy the best of everything.
Sorry, you probably already know all this and more, just thought i'd share. I'll send you his username if you want to look into the rear diff braces.

how do the Megans ride
Just got home , they ride just absolutely awesome. The awd seems to be more stable
Oh, one more thing: You going with the whole beefed up tcase? I think theres a 300M swap for the output or something like that, it'll mate up to a DSS shaft.
I bought a tcase brace from english racing for $300. ALso, a guy on here sells a brace kit for the rear diff that adds a 4th mounting point. You WILL need that with that much power.
It requires welding a large tab to the rear subframe but it doesn't appear difficult even if you suck with a welder ha. I pm'd him and he still has them for 300 bucks a set. They are VERY nice.
You can really get deep into the wallet with awd drivetrain upgrades. Easily drop over 5 grand but with these parts getting so rare i'd say go all in and buy the best of everything.
Sorry, you probably already know all this and more, just thought i'd share. I'll send you his username if you want to look into the rear diff braces.
Thanks for the info. Na didn't know. My first task is the transmission will be mixing gears again I found an early 1990 unit that I will pick up later this week so I can start the trans build. I welcome any suggestions so keep them coming.

It looks, from the pic, like the rear is sitting at the right height. I wonder if the spring rates are different and how it'll affect driving?
I kept my TEIN coilovers from my gst during the swap to awd. I've yet to see it sitting on the ground. I have rims similar to yours. 18s right?
I read about rear spring rate and though the rear would be at a different height myself but to my surprise I didn't have to adjust them. Took the megan's off the gst and installed them on the gsx perfect fit.. Some have said that this will not be the case with stock springs they fit but the rear sits higher spring rate difference between awd and fwd.

If they sit the same height? I wouldn't worry. Hell, i would think a softer spring rate in the rear would actually be better for launching it. For cornering? That's a different story.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back