The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Journal Bearing Turbocharger Rebuild Service

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JusMX141

Dec 13, 2005
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
If your journal bearing turbo has developed some minor shaft play or oil leakage, don't scrap it...rebuild it!

I've been professionally rebuilding all brands, types, and sizes of journal bearing turbochargers as a hobby since 2004- roughly twice as long as any other Freelancer on this site. My experience extends beyond the performance market- I've serviced turbos from small diesel trucks to over-the-highway tow vehicles, ambulance / emergency equipment, even cranes and other off-road equipment that operates under load for hours every day. In motorsports, my rebuilt turbos have set records and won numerous drag racing events and 24-hour endurance races like the ChumpCar World Series and LeMons events. With over 1000 rebuilds of various brands and applications during my tenure as a hobbyist, I've brought life to many turbos that would've otherwise been scrapped- saving my fellow DSMers hundreds of dollars over buying a new turbocharger.

A standard rebuild services all of your turbo's general wear items. This includes the turbine sealing ring, journal bearings, thrust collar, thrust plate, compressor seal collar, and compressor sealing ring. Your turbo's turbine wheel and center housing are fully cleaned and media-blasted if necessary to remove oil coking. The center housing and turbine housing are coated with a high-temp ceramic cast paint to prevent corrosion. Your turbo will look and perform like new after it's been rebuilt.

Pricing starts at $200 for a basic service depending on model which includes the necessary general wear parts and balancing, plus actual return shipping. I stock over $10,000 worth of turbo parts at all times- rebuild kits, compressor wheels, turbine shafts, housings, etc...so chances are I'll be able to repair your turbo with parts I have on stock meaning a quicker turnaround and less time spent waiting on parts. If additional parts do need to be ordered, they're normally only three days away.

Any additional labor required to extract broken bolts, repair stripped threads, re-configuring an internal wastegate system (where applicable) or any welding jobs will be billed hourly. Turnaround time varies by the amount of work lined up when your turbo arrives- it can range from 1-2 business days up to two weeks. Priority given by the order in which your turbo is received.

Please note this is a rebuild service, not an upgrade service. Send me a 14B and it will be a 14B and not a GT35R when you get it back unless we have worked out something prior where I'm accepting your turbo on trade for a larger unit that I have on stock. I do not offer any porting services outside of porting a wastegate hole when installing a functionality mod like a larger flapper or something along those lines.

My name is known worldwide and my reputation speaks for itself- check my feedback on the site for reassurance. I use only Genuine parts or aftermarket parts from a reliable source that are proven-reliable by my own experience...so you can guarantee the turbo you'll receive will work as good as (or better than) when it was new from the factory. My customers are not guinea pigs, and I won't install Chinese turbo parts even if the customer sends their own parts with the turbo. The parts I install as well as my labor are fully guaranteed for thirty days after the rebuild; warranty does not cover any failure due to oil contamination. For warranty service to be honored, you MUST use an oil source that gives the turbo proper operating pressure and the turbo must have a sufficient oil drain. Under-oiled, over-oiled, or turbos that have failed due to oil contamination result in immediate warranty termination.

The terms of service are fairly simple- to be considered a rebuildable core qualifying at the prices mentioned above your turbo must have no wheel damage and not have shaft play that is so excessive that wheel damage would occur. The turbine shaft must be straight and intact, and the turbo must be visually rebuildable....no large cracks in turbine housings, etc. Any turbo I receive with wheel damage as a result of extreme shaft play which cannot be repaired (hooked blades, bent fins, missing fins, or fins that are rubbed away from hitting the housing) is considered scrap and will be sent back to the owner or scrapped based on whether the owner is willing to pay return shipping or not. Again, I don't want guys sending me turbos that are obviously junk expecting me to perform a miracle for $200...it's not going to happen without spending some cash. Any unclaimed core or rebuilt turbo left unpaid after a generous period of 6 months becomes property of me.

All interested parties are urged to contact me via PM here on DSMtuners, or by email at [email protected] for a price quote.

My rebuilt turbos have had a great deal of success in the DSM world over the years, including:

• 2008 Shootout Bracket class runner-up, Gabe Friend (TD05H 20G)
  • 2009 Shootout Bracket class winner, David Ruby (HX35)
  • 2012 Shootout DSM Eliminator class winner, John Whalen (Compound Holsets, H1C and HX52)
  • 2016 Shootout Street 32 class winner, David Ruby (8.61 @ 164mph)
  • Fastest current Holset in the world, David Ruby (66mm HX40, 8.77 and 163mph)
  • Fastest current journal bearing T3-frame turbo on any DSM, David Ruby (66mm HX40, 8.77 and 163mph)
  • Fastest current Holset HY35 on a DSM, Gabe Friend (HY35, 10.71 and 133.9 mph)

Dave Ruby's "quickest/fastest Holset single in the world":

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

John Whalen's DSM Shootout-winning HX52:

Some customer admissions over the years:

fwdeclipse said:
Hey jus thanks for the 16G turbo man it is amazing. It looks brand new. I just got everything done today and just went tuning on e85. 29psi 20* advance and 0 knock.OMG This thing really moves.:thumb:

RoLinLine said:
Just to let you know i got the G60 finally running perfect.. Dyno'd @ 427AWHP.. Just want to thank you again for the good service. If i need any turbo service i will be sure and hit you up. Thanks again man keep up the good work.

familyMAN said:
Wanted to let you know the 14bs are rockin on my 3KGT!.....550awtq and 510awhp at 22psi on e85, so far. Lowering boost at peak tq to get it down to 500tq and raising boost up top. Hoping these little guys can get me to 500tq/600hp. Picked up 40hp from and a crapload of tq going from 20-22psi:)

Talon64 said:
Hey just wanted to let you know how the dyno went- made 425hp and 438tq on 26psi. Ran out of fuel pump the tuner said. Next year bigger cams and bigger fuel pump and see what it can put down.

You won't find another Freelancer with as much experience, knowledge, and success in the same price range...so before choosing to send your turbo to some random cut-rate rebuilder with a Facebook page, verify their credentials / successes and compare!

No other Freelancer stocks / installs more Genuine parts than I do. Before going anywhere else, ask plenty of questions and demand photographic proof of their Genuine parts that are on stock and you'll quickly see how many guys will lie and say their Chinese parts are Genuine.

Examples of my work:

MHI Small 16G:

MHI TD05H 20G:

Evo X Billet TD05H 20G:

Rebuilt FP DSM Old-School Green - customer made 425whp/438tq at 26psi on pump gas with this turbo:

Rebuilt FP DSM Old-School Red; customer made 612whp/503tq with a built 2.3L:

Rebuilt FP HTA Evo Red w/ Flow Advancement cover; made 538whp @ 33psi with a 2.3L on E85:

Billet TD05H 20G; made 439whp @ 28psi, stock 6-bolt low end on E85:

Rebuilt FP HTA Evo stock-appearing Red converted in-house to a MAP EF3 compressor:

Custom-built Holset HY40 (HX40 rotating assembly in a HY35 turbo); logged an accurate 78 lb/min with this unit on a 2.4L Evo VIII...best pass to date was 10.64 @ 138 full-weight with a/c:

Billet stock-appearing TD06SL2 20G; Read more about this EXACT turbo's results HERE, where it made 437whp and trapped 134mph on E85 at 32psi with a stock 6-bolt low end:

bump for this guy ...I worked in a shop rebuilding turbos professionally years ago and and can tell from the description of the work involved and procedure, pics and that Hines balancer (no turbo rebuild is complete without balancing...you would be surprised how much they can be out ) this guy does good work..

I have a tdo5 big 16g with minor shaft play that i pulled off my gsx. I dont need the turbo but am looking to sell it to turn a profit. In your opinion, is it worth rebuilding and then selling? Or do you think it would be smarter to sell as is?

Thread is 4 years old, FYI, but Justin is THE man to go to for your turbocharger needs!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back