The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

JB weld on Ballance shaft plug cap...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packinkimber45

15+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2006
Boise, Idaho
Hello everyone. I didnt have any permatex plug/core sealant thread locker available to me so used some jb weld to cover the ballance shaft elimination cap. I placed some in the cavity where the cap goes. Installed the cap, then put more jb weld on top of the cap, around the crevace between the housing and the cap. Also covered part of the housing.

I have been reading on the site and found info that has me really worried now. I read that jb weld gets gum like when it gets hot. Should I not have used it? Like I said the cap is completely covered and it is also around the housing. I also placed some in the cavity where the cap goes. It's pretty close to the hole on the back of the housing, it is almost ready to ooze out if I had put more. Do I need to redo this? The jb weld has already cured. Did it last weekend. I really dont want the jb weld turning gum like and getting into my crankcase or coming off on the front and getting on my timing belt... Please help!

Here is some pics...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

These pics show how much jb weld I put inside where the cap goes, you can see it where the slots are outside of the hole.

I have used Jb weld on 3 different covers and no problems at all.
I even had to return one and had to take the JBweld off and it was a b#**# to come off, so I don't think it will come off, as long as you are not using JB Quick you should be fine.

I think you need a little bit more arround the edges, there seems to be very little on there. you don't need any inside the plug's recess either. if you do add some more make sure you sand it first, so it adheres better to it.
Inspect it for cracks as I cracked one and I had experience doing this before twice.

Looks good though.

I have used Jb weld on 3 different covers and no problems at all.
I even had to return one and had to take the JBweld off and it was a b#**# to come off, so I don't think it will come off, as long as you are not using JB Quick you should be fine.

I think you need a little bit more arround the edges, there seems to be very little on there. you don't need any inside the plug's recess either. if you do add some more make sure you sand it first, so it adheres better to it.
Inspect it for cracks as I cracked one and I had experience doing this before twice.

Looks good though.

There is actually a lot around the edges. I laid it on there thick. I still am worried though since I put it in the recess area, will that jb weld get soft and get in the crank case through the back slots?

I dont see any "quick" words on the tube, just JB WELD, so I assume its the regular jb weld...

Youre fine bro. JB Weld can withstand 500+ degrees....I really doubt it will turn to "gum". Maybe with JB QUik or something...not regular JB.

I used JB on the plug just like you did. It was a freeze plug rather than the rubber OEM one. Not one problem from it. Youre g2g man.

i don't know maybe it is just me, but... i think he installed the cap upside down. unless it is way to large to fit inside the hole it should have been pressed into the hole just like a freeze plug... that is all it is anyway.

that hole in the back of the housing is to let oil that gets to the back side of the factory balance shaft seal drain back into the oil pan BTY. your fine there.

Unless he didn't use an actual plug then it is indeed upside down LOL...

I had some left over block fill to cement mine. In the past however I have used JB weld and so have MOST so you'll be fine.

Thanks everyone. Got worried there that I would have to redo it. I used the oem rubber plug. Installed it just like the vfaq said to. Lol. Thanks again.

i just looked at the Vfaq thread and they actually tell you to pound the plug down into the spot where the seal was, there are some bad pics on that "how to" so i can see where you could have been a little confused. yours is indeed up side down. if it works then i guess it works, there isn't any oil pressure behind the plug so if it does pop off then you aren't going to loose oil pressure to your engine but you will end up with one hell-of-a oil leak. i would just be worried about accidentally hitting it with something and knocking it off the way you have it, if it were mine I'd re-do it . but it is your call...

I was thinking he used the freeze plug. If you use the OEM rubber plug, you can just RTV it or use nothing. I've done both on my old DSM with no problems. This time I used a freeze plug and pounded it in and used JB Weld in the groove and on the outside of the case.

i just looked at the Vfaq thread and they actually tell you to pound the plug down into the spot where the seal was, there are some bad pics on that "how to" so i can see where you could have been a little confused. yours is indeed up side down. if it works then i guess it works, there isn't any oil pressure behind the plug so if it does pop off then you aren't going to loose oil pressure to your engine but you will end up with one hell-of-a oil leak. i would just be worried about accidentally hitting it with something and knocking it off the way you have it, if it were mine I'd re-do it . but it is your call...

Actually I did take the seal out that was in the hole for the balance shaft just like they did on the vfaq. You're right the pics are not that clear. Although I did also cross referrence blacknspoolin's "rely-on-ability" thread. I pressed in the oem rubber plug just like he did, it was rather easy actually to press in . Off course I used jb weld instead of the permatex plug/core sealant threadlocker. I covered the plug completely around the edges as well and part of the housing to make sure it is completely sealed LOL. I think it will hold up. Just to clear up some confusion I installed it just like this with the same plug... Heres a pic
Before the jb weld

After applying the jb weld

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back