The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Is this opinion true about DSMLINK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bastard1g said:
I was thinking about getting a dsmlink since I have a 95 eprom in my 98 but the only issue is that I allready bought a keydiver and I dont wanna throw away 100 bucks. maybe I will just keep the chip and buy a dsmlink. what do you think intrusive? cause I dont have a logger or safc. and dont forget to call me every now and then mane.

The DSMlink would be great, I think you'd like it alot.

No offence but who is anyone to say what system is better than the other? More options for one may mean more prblems for someone else. Everyone usees one system or another andis able to utilize different things on them. Hell, I use SDS on my GTI and like it. I have played with EMS, and ya... sky is the limit. But for my DSM i would not really need or want all those options, But I know people that like it for the ability to use those options. Even our shop car I race uses Window link plus, and I hate it. WHere some love it.

Just seems to me it is a pointless thing to argue about. It is liek arguing over beer. Some drink beer to be cool, some drink to get drunk, some drink cause they like the taste. So who am I to critisize? We all have our reasons for different things.

I say, hooray for DSMLink, hooray for EMS, hooray for Hondata, hooray for SDS, hell.. hooray for oatmeal even :D

PS, saw Jason at F2uning using Redline, seemed cool too

If you've ever hacked on OBD0 or OBDI Hondas, you know who I am (Gimpster)... I also run and host the Uberdata forum & user groups. That all being said, I have a pretty good grasp on the operation of a Honda ECU.

Before I begin, remember that an ECU is just like any other computer. It only does what its told and is only as good as its software.

The Honda OBDI ECU's have one of the worst factory knock detection systems ever devised... and you want to put that on your DSM? From what I've read in here you're praising the Hondata user interface more than anything. The actual code behind it is pretty trivial these days, on OBDI.

The K-Pro stuff is very advanced and does some impressive things. A big part of that is the ECU itself.... but don’t kid yourself its two generations ahead of a 2G ecu in design, hence why it can do what it does.

The DSMLink fills a big gap, and the price point is very attractive. I'd say the 1G DSMLink fills the biggest gap of all now. No longer having to convert to OBDII or go with a standalone for, what amounts to, trivial fuel & timing changes in real-time is a big improvement. The Java interface can be a bit clunky at times, but holy cow so can the EMS control application!

I think you'd find that most people who own a true standalone use 10% of its features, and that a product like DSMLink is really what they needed.... and they could've spent the money on some other modification to their car. So that whole "DSMLink is only 10% of a real standalone" argument just doesn’t hold water. Also remember my first point, as time progresses and development from DSMLink proper and the DSM-ECU List gets better and better, so will the DSMLink product (and it gets better for freeware hackers like myself). Unless you need like 8 injectors, control of 34208302 solenoids etc.. the stock ECU is going to do what you need 90% of the time.

After many years of hacking on ECU's I've learned that: nothing runs an OEM setup car like the OEM ECU

GimpyTalon said:
If you've ever hacked on OBD0 or OBDI Hondas, you know who I am (Gimpster)... I also run and host the Uberdata forum & user groups. That all being said, I have a pretty good grasp on the operation of a Honda ECU.

Before I begin, remember that an ECU is just like any other computer. It only does what its told and is only as good as its software.

The Honda OBDI ECU's have one of the worst factory knock detection systems ever devised... and you want to put that on your DSM? From what I've read in here you're praising the Hondata user interface more than anything. The actual code behind it is pretty trivial these days, on OBDI.

The K-Pro stuff is very advanced and does some impressive things. A big part of that is the ECU itself.... but don’t kid yourself its two generations ahead of a 2G ecu in design, hence why it can do what it does.

The DSMLink fills a big gap, and the price point is very attractive. I'd say the 1G DSMLink fills the biggest gap of all now. No longer having to convert to OBDII or go with a standalone for, what amounts to, trivial fuel & timing changes in real-time is a big improvement. The Java interface can be a bit clunky at times, but holy cow so can the EMS control application!

I think you'd find that most people who own a true standalone use 10% of its features, and that a product like DSMLink is really what they needed.... and they could've spent the money on some other modification to their car. So that whole "DSMLink is only 10% of a real standalone" argument just doesn’t hold water. Also remember my first point, as time progresses and development from DSMLink proper and the DSM-ECU List gets better and better, so will the DSMLink product (and it gets better for freeware hackers like myself). Unless you need like 8 injectors, control of 34208302 solenoids etc.. the stock ECU is going to do what you need 90% of the time.

After many years of hacking on ECU's I've learned that: nothing runs an OEM setup car like the OEM ECU

Someone buy this man a drink! You've basically put into words what some of the people were trying to say in the first place. The morons who are arguing that DSMlink sucks and that standalones rule are just plain silly. Like you said, it's apples vs. oranges.

I would really like to go entirely into my opinion of this, but seeing how I'm a DSMlink user you can probably already guess which one my vote goes to :thumb: But to sum it all up, DSMlink was made by guys that know the factory EPROM in and out. They didn't want it to be the "end-all tuning/logging device", but rather to be an affordable (compared to a standalone), VERY user friendly, and very awesome logger/tuner. It was made on the basis that 99.9% of DSMers need something much more than a piggyback but not quite a standalone.

In my humble opinion, unless you're taking your DSM to the track and racing professionally as a full or part-time career type thing, then chances are DSMlink will cover just about anything you'll need it do :) Let's not forget that Tom and Dave (the DSMlink creators) are CONSTANTLY gathering user requests/suggestions and adding new features to DSMlink to make it do even more things. :thumb:

guitarXgeek said:
Let's not forget that Tom and Dave (the DSMlink creators) are CONSTANTLY gathering user requests/suggestions and adding new features to DSMlink to make it do even more things. :thumb:

even better, they will review your logs if you are stuck on a problem and let you know what they think is wrong (which usualy IS whats wrong.. LOL)

the after purchase support is part of why i like the product so much.

I thought this post was about whether the dsmlink is virtually a standalone or not? What is this about? I want dsmlink but I dont understand what this is all about.

DSMLink is not considered a standalone.

DSMLInk is the stock ECU using the stock Mitsubishi code base, reprogrammed and manipulated to do our bidding. DSMLink attempts to bring out the best of whats possible using OEM automotive controls.

A standalone is a 3rd party piece of hardware that usually has a propritary operating set/rom image and control software.

It doesn't seem to get mentioned much, so I thought I'd chime in:
For a 1g, I think the support for rom emulators is good enough now that it's a viable option.

You can get an Ostrich rom emulator (which plugs in the same place as DSMLink) for $175, and use free map editing software from TunerPro RT or DsMap

This gets you total control over timing, fuel, MAF compensation, injectors, will persist even if the
battery is disconnected and makes it easy to swap maps or rom images.

DSMLink is more user friendly and since you pay for the software, will come with software support.

Ostrich absolutely rocks. :thumb:

(got mine yesterday, so I had to resurrect this thread just to say that.)

Pudhead, will you be working anymore on Dsmap? Although, Tunerpro 4.0 is pretty easy to work with especially as it now has native Ostrich support.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back