The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Input shaft bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lofty

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2008
Waukesha, Wisconsin
My input shaft bearing is going.

Making a grinding noise when the clutch is out.

How long can I drive on this?

I'm running syncromesh, if I replace it with somthing more thick will it be okay?

Thicker fluid will quiet it down some and may help keep it going for a little longer, but it will need to be replaced eventually. I have the same problem on my newly purchased GS-T. It's been about a month and a half so far, I expect it to last awhile like this though. I've had a few civics with worse input shaft noises that lasted a couple of years before I ended up replacing the transmission just to get rid of the awful noise. The noise does get worse over time, but usually takes awhile to completely fail.

Thicker fluid will quiet it down some and may help keep it going for a little longer, but it will need to be replaced eventually. I have the same problem on my newly purchased GS-T. It's been about a month and a half so far, I expect it to last awhile like this though. I've had a few civics with worse input shaft noises that lasted a couple of years before I ended up replacing the transmission just to get rid of the awful noise. The noise does get worse over time, but usually takes awhile to completely fail.

Good to know!

I'm pretty happy to hear this actually.

I'm gonna put thick stuff in there to make it better.

I'm recommending you some rep for this post, thanks a bunch!

Don't be surprised if your shift quality goes down after putting thicker fluid in. Synchromesh fluid is made to improve shift quality. Once you stray away from it you will more than likely notice notchier shifting. Just a forwarning. But, your input shaft bearing will thank you.

Don't be surprised if your shift quality goes down after putting thicker fluid in. Synchromesh fluid is made to improve shift quality. Once you stray away from it you will more than likely notice notchier shifting. Just a forwarning. But, your input shaft bearing will thank you.

Alright, what do you suggest running. Whenever I go and ask for stock fluid they give me the wrong GL rated stuff.

: (

How about that thick as hell lucas stuff mixed with something?
I don't care about shift quality, I just need it to be reliable.

Redline mt90 made my input bearing sound worst, I don't recommend that stuff for higher milage tranny's as mine is now sitting on jack stands in my garage waiting for the tranny to get pulled and sent to shep.

I'm not convinced this is a case of failing input shaft bearings and not a failing TOB. If I might ask, Lofty, how did you deduce that your TOB is not the culprit?
I read your other thread about noise in neutral. And I would just like to submit that a failing TOB does not always make sound when the clutch is in and quiets down when the clutch is out. It is also possible to have the reverse: noise with the clutch out and none when the clutch is in.

My point is that "sound goes away when I push the pedal" is not a definitive method for ruling out the TOB.

As for fluid, there is no fix here so just whatever is nice and thick will stave off the inevitable (assuming is IS your input bearings). Just use something heavy like MT-90 or MTL. If you can get your hands on OEM fluid for less (I'd be surprised) go for it. I don't usually find the ~$30 it costs me for Redline fluid to be a real killer.

I'm not convinced this is a case of failing input shaft bearings and not a failing TOB. If I might ask, Lofty, how did you deduce that your TOB is not the culprit?
I read your other thread about noise in neutral. And I would just like to submit that a failing TOB does not always make sound when the clutch is in and quiets down when the clutch is out. It is also possible to have the reverse: noise with the clutch out and none when the clutch is in.

My point is that "sound goes away when I push the pedal" is not a definitive method for ruling out the TOB.

I had my brother come over who has TONS of expirience with cars.

He said the sound is not similar to that of a TOB going out, because he's heard the sound of them going out.

I guess I'll have to see.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back