The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Input Shaft Bearing Replacement ?'s

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96gstdsm

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2006
monroe, New_York
I am having my clutch and flywheel installed hopefully this week, due to what i think is a tob. It also could possibly be the input shaft bearing from what i have been reading. If it is the input bearing, having the tranny and clutch and flywheel already removed is that a hard replacement? How long should that take a professional mechanic to do? I saw the bearing being sold for like 20 bucks shipped on ebay. It is an oem one. From what i searched here it seemed like it was around a 4-5 hour job when the tranny is still attached, so figuring that everything would be off already should be not much more to get replaced. I have heard too many stories of people replacing the tob only to find out it was the input shaft bearing.
Please if anyone knows the approximate cost or labor time to replace that let me know.

----ryan.

Input shaft bearing=Tranny rebuild
Cost of labor is dependent upon who you take it to, and if you include any extras(upgrades) in the rebuild.

I thought you could just replace the input shaft bearing. It's just like a 10 dollar part. That is not correct? From what i read in another post it just had to be replaced. Nothing was ever said about the tranny needing to be rebuilt. Should be accessable when the clutch and flywheel are taken off i thought.

Does anyone have any experience with this? i really need to know ### i'm up against if this is the problem instead of the tob. I'm hoping that it does not mean rebuild as i dont have the extra cash for that right now.

The dsm cd shows it needing a rebuild to replace. If you need to know and want someone with experience call Shep Trans.

Black Venom said:
The dsm cd shows it needing a rebuild to replace. If you need to know and want someone with experience call Shep Trans.

Ouch. Not what i want to hear ha. Well i'm gonna still hope that it is just the tob as most poeple think it is. But i have heard that tob usually makes noise when you press in the clutch. With my car it makes a rattle/grind noise when you the clutch is released.
If it is the input shaft bearing, does anyone know how long it can be driven without replacing that? As i dont have the cash at the moment for both the clutch install and rebuild. Is driving with a messed up input shaft bearing or input shaft itself very dangerous to the rest of the car?

I have that noise and even after a rebuild it's still there. There's a guy somewhat local to me that had the same noise for the 2 years he ran on his tranny. For him the input shaft sleeve that the TOB rides on was worn just enough for the TOB to rattle.

Mine is very loud though, sounds like loose metal banging around, and when i rev the engine up it gets even worse. does not sound like somehting that would be safe to drive with, but i guess it could just be a sound. Kinda sounds like metal popcorn going off in the tranny Hopefully will found out when i do the clutch job. If dsmotorsports can ever do it for me.

Hmm no mine is loud enough to be quite annoying, but if I rev it over 3K or push in the clutch it won't make the noise. Sometimes it makes no noise at all.
What does your tranny fluid look like?

I have not looked at my tranny fluid yet. That noise came all of a sudden and at the same time it started getting harder to shift into first gear depending on how the car was angled. Think there is a bad motor mount could be that. But all other gears are fine just 1st, when i test drove it, it was fine hardly noticeable but after 5 days of having it this all happened. The bov also popped off a couple of times. And was making leaking noises

does the sound your car makes, sound like somehting is banging around in the tranny? and make a terrible rattle noise when you rev it up? My car sounds awefull when i rev it. I havent driven it since this happened, so been sitting for a couple months now unfortunately.

Alright thanks i'll definately check that out. Maybe this sound is not that bad, but it really sounds terrible. Will have to fix even if not a problem, would always be thinking my car was about to blow hah.

Kind of old, I know, but did you ever find out about this? I've got the exact same symptoms on my N/T when revving it, and my tranny shop is telling me that it's the input shaft bearing.. even though it only started happening after they installed my clutch, which makes me think it's the throw out bearing.

I'd be interested to know what you found out.

Kind of old, I know, but did you ever find out about this? I've got the exact same symptoms on my N/T when revving it, and my tranny shop is telling me that it's the input shaft bearing.. even though it only started happening after they installed my clutch, which makes me think it's the throw out bearing.

I'd be interested to know what you found out.

Hey. This is 96gstdsm. I had a problem with my password so i had to use a new account. I fixed the problem on mine. It was the throw out bearing. It looked fine and everything but i replaced it and the sound has gone away. The one that was on there was a metal sleeved one, so i guess those rattle alot more than plasic sleeved ones like the oem ones. So if you are going to replace it, just make sure to use a plastic sleeved one. It drives great now. Did a whole clutch and flywheel job while i was in there too. Hope your is also just the tob an not something more tranny related.

--Ryan.

Im having a similar problem with my 90 gsx.
When the clutch is engaged i hear a rattling noise, and disengaged it goes away. also when reving over 2500 rpm it goes away and when coasting in gear it makes the noise. wondering if it could be the same issue...

The input shaft bearing is inside the tranny and it would be a major job to replace - almost always accompanied by a full tranny rebuild (just did mine). I think many people on this thread have said input shaft bearing when they really meant tob. A bad tob can make noise either when clutch is engaged or not and they commonly wear out with mileage. A bad input shaft bearing is rare, major, and would typically make noise all the time the clutch is engaged whether in any gear or neutral. 99 times out of 100 it's the tob.

The input shaft bearing is on the bell housing pop open the case and pop roller bearing out of bell housing n put new in not going to require a rebuild unless u toasted ur transmission LOL hour job if it's already out of car the output shaft bearing takes a while that's in the drivetrain

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back