how to remove ecu?

Posted by Race94, Aug 20, 2005
Newbie Forum - Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum.

1. Race94

Race94 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    , Puerto_Rico
    I am going to send the ecu to install dsmlink, can anyone help me on how to step by step remove the ecu, location, steps to take prior to, etc.

Thanks
  2. crunchymilk

crunchymilk Proven Member

San Antonio, Texas
    You got to take off both plastic pieces on the sides of the center console. Then you'll see the exposed ECU. There are three bolts holding it on that are pretty damn hard to get to IMO. Just look around with a flashlight and you'll see the 3 that you have to take off. To get the wire harnesses off you have to push down on one side and wiggle it out.
    K_Hill likes this.
  3. blackGSX2g

blackGSX2g DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Holland, Michigan
    Yea, its not that bad to get to. Make sure your battery is disconnected before you start. The ECU is located in the center of your dashboard, basically right behind the back of your stereo. All the wires you need to pull off are on the driver's side. There are 4 big wire connectors. Once you get those off, there are like 4 bolts holding the ECU to the dash frame. Get those off and open up your ECU to make sure it is an EPROM. If its not, then you need to get an EPROM ECU before you get DSMLink installed.
    K_Hill likes this.
  4. Race94

Race94 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    , Puerto_Rico
    If my car is a 95 eclipse is it eprom? how do you mean open it up to check if it's eprom?
  5. Mitsubishified

Mitsubishified Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Parkersburg, West_Virginia
    K_Hill likes this.
  6. bird man

bird man Proven Member

las vegas, Nevada
    once you get it out there are four little screws on the corners od the ecu. take them out and get the cover off. there is a chip in one of the corners and it will have a number on it. if you have the chip then its an eprom if it doesnot then sorry. i had to buy one. most 95's have them tho. good luck